Memphis Restaurants

Rardy

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Memphis-based Perkins Restaurants "reported revenues of $134.2 million for the third quarter, a 56 percent increase compared to $85.9 million from the year-ago quarter," per MBJ. 56% increase in revenue is significant!

I didn't realize they were a Memphis chain...news to me. According to their website, they have 7 metro Memphis locations.

Zaxby's opening in Marion, AR, per MBJ. It'll be their third location in Arkansas and their fifth in Memphis metro.

I'll tell ya what we need... Cane's. Kinda similar to Zaxby's, but cooler. They're projected to double in number of locations in 2007. The closest one to us is in Ridgeland. They're mainly in Louisiana (started at LSU in Baton Rouge), but they're expanding into Texas, Georgia, Mississippi, Florida, and Ohio now. That's what I want for Christmas - a Cane's in Memphis. :P

Memphis-based Perkins Restaurants "reported revenues of $134.2 million for the third quarter, a 56 percent increase compared to $85.9 million from the year-ago quarter," per MBJ. 56% increase in revenue is significant!

I didn't realize they were a Memphis chain...news to me. According to their website, they have 7 metro Memphis locations.

If I'm not mistaken, Perkins was based in Cincy, but bought by the Holiday Inn conglomerate when they were here. Perkins relocated to Memphis and remained independently operated. I'm not sure of what happened to Holiday Inn (bought out, merged, or what), but Perkins was not a part. They have merged with The Restaurant Co. I'm glad they are still in Memphis even though much of their stores our in the Midwest.

If I'm not mistaken, Perkins was based in Cincy, but bought by the Holiday Inn conglomerate when they were here. Perkins relocated to Memphis and remained independently operated. I'm not sure of what happened to Holiday Inn (bought out, merged, or what), but Perkins was not a part. They have merged with The Restaurant Co. I'm glad they are still in Memphis even though much of their stores our in the Midwest.

Holiday Inn sold out to Bass (now 6 Continents), moved to Atl, leaving Promus and Harrah's behind at first as a single entity, then Harrah's spun off? Harrah's stayed here for a while, then moved to LV. Then Promus acquired Doubletree of Phx, with hq here. Then Hilton acquired Promus, and hq moved to Beverly Hills. What happened to our hospitality industry? With our history and a batch of industry experts, we should have startup hotels sprouting all over the place.

>( Grrr.

But I'm glad Restaurant Co is keeping Perkins' hq here.

New here. Can someone point a few Vegan/vegetarian restaurants in town? Even better if serving some organic foods! Thanks!

Holiday Inn sold out to Bass (now 6 Continents), moved to Atl, leaving Promus and Harrah's behind at first as a single entity, then Harrah's spun off? Harrah's stayed here for a while, then moved to LV. Then Promus acquired Doubletree of Phx, with hq here. Then Hilton acquired Promus, and hq moved to Beverly Hills. What happened to our hospitality industry? With our history and a batch of industry experts, we should have startup hotels sprouting all over the place.

>( Grrr.

But I'm glad Restaurant Co is keeping Perkins' hq here.

Zaxby's opening in Marion, AR, per MBJ. It'll be their third location in Arkansas and their fifth in Memphis metro.

I'll tell ya what we need... Cane's. Kinda similar to Zaxby's, but cooler. They're projected to double in number of locations in 2007. The closest one to us is in Ridgeland. They're mainly in Louisiana (started at LSU in Baton Rouge), but they're expanding into Texas, Georgia, Mississippi, Florida, and Ohio now. That's what I want for Christmas - a Cane's in Memphis. :P

I agree. Baton Rouge got BYB before Memphis got Cane's. I always miss Cane's when I'm in town for the breaks.

I saw some people in Knoxville [who live in Knoxville] eating Cane's while I was up there for the UT/LSU game. Do they have Cane's in East Tennessee ?

New here. Can someone point a few Vegan/vegetarian restaurants in town? Even better if serving some organic foods! Thanks!

I heard Hilton still maintained a sizable HDQ type of jobs in Memphis, right?

What did you mean by "What happened to our hospitality industry? " Just curious here and you seem to know stuff.....

Hilton kept a significant IT group in Memphis and the operational HQ of Hampton Inn/Embassy Suites/Doubletree division (essentially the old Promus group). You know, it could be an evolution similar to ServiceMaster and International Paper as they maintained significant operational/divisional HQ here years before moving the final top executives here in a final corporate HQ move. Hilton has enough of a base here that a corp. HQ relocation in the long term wouldn't be out of the question.

A hospitality company headquartered in Memphis would be ideal since they tend to treat their employees well (no offense to other industries! :)

Attracting Hilton back to Memphis would probably call for a different strategy than winning ServiceMasters. Two totally different companies with unique cultures. Besides all the tax breaks and all that, it's also about the people: would the people want to make that move and be immersed in the lifestyle that memphis has to offer? Some stats show that cities with more artsy scenes tend to do well economically and I think Memphis is on that track!

• 2 weeks later...

Best barbecue in town?

I'm visiting Memphis on 12/28 - 1/01 and want to know where the best places are for barbecue. You always hear about Corky's and Redezvous, but are they any good? It sound like they might be overexposed and touristy. I'd prefer places where the locals eat.

I'm visiting from Columbia, SC for the Liberty Bowl. Watch out for all of the Gamecocks - there will be about 20,000 of us.

Best barbecue in town?

I'm visiting Memphis on 12/28 - 1/01 and want to know where the best places are for barbecue. You always hear about Corky's and Redezvous, but are they any good? It sound like they might be overexposed and touristy. I'd prefer places where the locals eat.

I'm visiting from Columbia, SC for the Liberty Bowl. Watch out for all of the Gamecocks - there will be about 20,000 of us.

I think people are sometimes a bit wary of Corky's just because it has that "chain" appearance. It is a chain of course, but I'm talking of the negative connotations: low quality, by-the-numbers crap.

The reality of course, is that it is absolutely fantastic barbecue that I miss whenever I'm not in town (like now, for example).

Nothing is more depressing than seeing a sign in Boston claiming "Memphis-style BBQ". You couldn't over-promise more if you tried. That being said, what passes for pizza in Memphis is a sad, pathetic joke. Sometimes I'm not sure what I'd rather have. Good pizza, bad BBQ or vice versa.

At least you can ship Corky's - though it's a bit pricey.

Archived