Memphis Restaurants

Rardy

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I read somewhere that the new Westin is going to have a starbucks. It doesn't matter anyway. A new locally-owned coffee shop is going in where the Viking cooking school used to be. They are hiring a well-experienced pastry chef and getting their coffee from a great roaster out of Mississippi. I think starbuck's coffee tastes burned.

I think I read somewhere that the new Westin is going to have a starbucks. It doesn't matter anyway. A new locally-owned coffee shop is going in where the Viking cooking school used to be. They are hiring a well-experienced pastry chef and getting their coffee from a great roaster out of Mississippi. I think starbuck's coffee tastes burned.

Dunkin Donuts may finally make a market appearance here before too long according to the CA: http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/busine...5451610,00.html

This should be interesting as I don't really sense Memphis is a major doughnut market (not as ingrained in the food culture as in the NE), but more of a breakfast biscuit kind of place. However, they have enough other products and excellent brand recognition to be very successful here with the right franchisee. Maybe market saturation is what it will take as Gibson's, Howard's, Daylight, and Shipley (Houston-based regional chain) are rather few and far between. Dunkin will also give Starbucks a run for its money as well, so more competition is good. While some people may not like national chains, it is good news that a large company does think the local market is viable enough to make a significant investement here.

I thought the comment in the article about favorable "general demographics" was funny. What, you mean Memphis' large concentration of fat people who like fried foods?

On a slightly related note, it would be great to see a Kolache Factory open in Memphis. These little rolls with food inside are absolutely wonderful for breakfast. The food originated in Eastern Europe centuries ago; the company is based in Houston and most locations are in Texas. I try to get some when I have a morning flight out of Indianapolis (one in the main terminal). Anyone else on the forum tried these?

• 3 months later...

Hmmm...appears Einstein Bros. Bagel wants to get into the market. I like this place a lot. If I have a long morning turn, I'm often on Concourse C eating a bagel with some coffee. Their sandwiches and salads are pretty good too. Hope it works out for them here. http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/busine...5641717,00.html

Hmmm...appears Einstein Bros. Bagel wants to get into the market. I like this place a lot. If I have a long morning turn, I'm often on Concourse C eating a bagel with some coffee. Their sandwiches and salads are pretty good too. Hope it works out for them here. http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/busine...5641717,00.html

^ Thats true, I don't ever hear about any "must go to" pizzarias in Memphis. I have never heard of an established dive known for its pizza, any local chain that folks grew up with, or even a special type associated with the city. However, I never really thought about that till now.

^ Thats true, I don't ever hear about any "must go to" pizzarias in Memphis. I have never heard of an established dive known for its pizza, any local chain that folks grew up with, or even a special type associated with the city. However, I never really thought about that till now.

I agree about Memphis and pizza...however, I gotta say...the Alternative at Memphis Pizza Cafe is extraordinary and pretty original. Olive oil, cheese, basil, and tomato...sounds basic, but it is awesome. I'm normally all for pepperoni, but the Alternative is the only thing I get at MPC. Bosco's and Blue Monkey have good pizzas too, but they aren't really pizza joints...they make them unique to Memphis, tho, with the BBQ flare.

When I was in town last my brother had gotten a pizza from a midtown place called Colletta's. It was a truly awesome pizza and it is worth checking out. I really don't know anything about it other than him telling me that you only get take out, you never eat in the restaurant.

Broadway Pizza = street credibility.

Villa Castrioti in Cordova does really good pizza, in my humble, non-pizza-oriented opinion (I'm from Memphis...how would I know? :P ). Memphis Pizza Cafe is pretty decent while Coletta's is underrated at pizza. Exlines is, uh, maybe not great but interesting.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Garibaldi's on here; I have generally been pleased there and they have a decent selection. Anyone tried Old Venice? I haven't been there yet.

Let's face it, Memphis just doesn't focus much on pizza. We do our BBQ, soul/country food, catfish, and a few other things well, but we seem to have left pizza out of the equation.

Broadway Pizza = street credibility.

Villa Castrioti in Cordova does really good pizza, in my humble, non-pizza-oriented opinion (I'm from Memphis...how would I know? :P ). Memphis Pizza Cafe is pretty decent while Coletta's is underrated at pizza. Exlines is, uh, maybe not great but interesting.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Garibaldi's on here; I have generally been pleased there and they have a decent selection. Anyone tried Old Venice? I haven't been there yet.

Let's face it, Memphis just doesn't focus much on pizza. We do our BBQ, soul/country food, catfish, and a few other things well, but we seem to have left pizza out of the equation.

• 1 month later...

Archived