Memphis Restaurants

Rardy

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My girlfriend loves Smoothie King...everytime she goes to Jackson to work at Jackson Madison County Hospital she has to stop and buy a smoothie from there. I have never been to one myself, but from what I hear from here they are really good.

I've never been to a Zaxby's but I think I have seen ads for them. What are they like? New Orlean's type food?

I was in Jackson today and noticed a brand new Zaxby's open down on the end of the Columns commercial area. I don't shop that way aside from going to Kohls, but today I went down a tad further to check out the new Dick's Sporting Goods and Gander Mountain stores that are about to open, thus noticing the Zaxby's and thinking how weird it was that I had just asked about it. Just a weird coincidence I thought.

Jackson just got a Red Robin a month or two ago, I hear they are supposed to be good as well. Anyone have any imput on those? Usually we go to nicer places we don't always have access to when in Jackson, thus a new hamburger joint does not rank high on the list compared to Japanese Steak Houses, Olive Garden, Red Bones (cajun, grill, etc), etc. So is it worth checking out?

• 4 weeks later...

Wife and I finally went to River Oaks last night. It is in the old Cockeye Camel location at Poplar/I-240 and the owners have definitely made it an attractive space. River Oaks is definitely fine dining (a la carte, entrees $28+) with an excellent food/wine menu and first-rate service. Portions are pretty large, so adding a side to round out the meal isn't really necessary. Great place for special occasions. Memphis has another excellent restaurant.

Oh, and the Cockeyed Camel is still with us. They moved around the corner to the Ridgeway/Primacy Parkway area across from MUS. With 31 years in business, they're still doing something right.

Wife and I finally went to River Oaks last night. It is in the old Cockeye Camel location at Poplar/I-240 and the owners have definitely made it an attractive space. River Oaks is definitely fine dining (a la carte, entrees $28+) with an excellent food/wine menu and first-rate service. Portions are pretty large, so adding a side to round out the meal isn't really necessary. Great place for special occasions. Memphis has another excellent restaurant.

Oh, and the Cockeyed Camel is still with us. They moved around the corner to the Ridgeway/Primacy Parkway area across from MUS. With 31 years in business, they're still doing something right.

I got to eat at Zaxby's in Jackson tonight since I needed a quick bite to eat. I was actually impressed by the operation as the staff was very friendly compared to most fast food restaurants, the service prompt, and the food fresh. I got a pretty good chicken strip dinner for about $6.11, which didn't strike me as all that bad for fast food and the amount of food I got - which was more than I could eat. Zaxby's in Jackson got a passing grade from me - next up Red Robin.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a Jimmy John's that's coming into the old FSBO building behind the White Station Starbuck's on Poplar. They're a midwestern chain and their prices are very reasonable ($5 for a 9" sandwich, chips and a drink).

Great news, by the way Jimmy john's is a great sub shop that exist in many college towns. I go to school in Fayetteville and we have two, and they stay open and deliver until 2 am. If it is located by the University of Memphis, it will do very well.

Great news, by the way Jimmy john's is a great sub shop that exist in many college towns. I go to school in Fayetteville and we have two, and they stay open and deliver until 2 am. If it is located by the University of Memphis, it will do very well.

Archived