Memphis Arts Scene

Rardy

Memphis has always been rated high for its cultural activities. With a world-class symphony orchestra, zoo, and thriving performance arts, it's really no wonder.

How often do you visit Memphis arts and what are your preferences?

I know a current performance of "Little Shop of Horrors" at Theatre Memphis is excellent. Unfortunately it closes tomorrow (Oct. 31st). Also, the Memphis Symphony Orchestra gave an excellent performance on the 21st to a packed out Cannon Performing Arts Center entitled "Star Wars & More". And that's the things I've been to in the past 2 weeks.

Let's see...we've got the MSO, Memphis Ballet, Theatre Memphis, Playhouse on the Square, Circuit Playhouse, Germantown Symphony, Orpheum...what else?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Memphis has always been rated high for its cultural activities. With a world-class symphony orchestra, zoo, and thriving performance arts, it's really no wonder.

How often do you visit Memphis arts and what are your preferences?

I know a current performance of "Little Shop of Horrors" at Theatre Memphis is excellent. Unfortunately it closes tomorrow (Oct. 31st). Also, the Memphis Symphony Orchestra gave an excellent performance on the 21st to a packed out Cannon Performing Arts Center entitled "Star Wars & More". And that's the things I've been to in the past 2 weeks.

Let's see...we've got the MSO, Memphis Ballet, Theatre Memphis, Playhouse on the Square, Circuit Playhouse, Germantown Symphony, Orpheum...what else?

Not yet. They've got a cool spotlight on the neighboring building that shines "Coming soon..."

Yes...we have the Memphis Symphony Orchestra and the Germantown Symphony. The G'town is good, but it's entirely composed of volunteers, I think. The MSO is definitely professional and awesome.

You are talking about three different organizations. The Memphis Symphony plays out of the Cannon Center and occasionally plays at GPAC. It is a professional orchestra. The Germantown Symphony plays at GPAC and is a amateur orchestra. Iris is a professional orchestra based in Germantown that puts on 6-8 concerts a year. Their musicians fly in from around the country to perform with some of the greatest soloists in the world. The orchestra is 7 years old this year. There are some Memphis Symphony players who auditioned to perform with Iris.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived