(Your City's) Signature Street(s)

Hybrid0NE

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Winston-Salem, NC

-Stratford Road (shopping, dining, and services)

-Fourth Street (dining, clubs, shopping)

-Sixth and Trade Streets (Art District)

-Hanes Mall Boulevard (shopping, shopping, shopping, shopping, shopping)

-Reynolda Road

-Country Club Road

-and the Parkways Silas Creek, Peters Creek, and University.

I think we should define what is considered a signature street. This shouldn't be a thread to name all of the large/important roads in a city. I say this in response to Skyliner's and 803metlife's posts.

I would not ever consider White Horse Rd, Pleasantburg Dr, Poinsett Hwy, Wade Hampton Blvd, etc. to be signature streets. Honestly, I would not suggest that visitors ever see these roads. The same applies to Two Notch Rd and Broad River Rd in Columbia. All of these roads are the epitome of generic sprawl or otherwise unattractive development.

I actually think that Columbia does not have a signature street. If it does then the closest one may be Main St. Columbia has districts like Five Points, which aren't really centered on one single road.

I think the only one in Greenville is Main Street becasue Main St is THE place to be in Greenville.

My definition:

I think a signature street is something like Bourbon Street in New Orleans, Peachtree Street in Atlanta, or King Street in Charleston. These are important streets that are used to sell the city to visitors, typically have a variety of shopping and dining options, and is typically centered around the CBD. This would not generally be a suburban road, though I'm sure certain circumstances exist to where this may be the case. (Also, the first post said to share your signature/famous street, which are rarely suburban ones)

What do you think of that definition?

I think we should define what is considered a signature street. This shouldn't be a thread to name all of the large/important roads in a city. I say this in response to Skyliner's and 803metlife's posts.

I would not ever consider White Horse Rd, Pleasantburg Dr, Poinsett Hwy, Wade Hampton Blvd, etc. to be signature streets. Honestly, I would not suggest that visitors ever see these roads. The same applies to Two Notch Rd and Broad River Rd in Columbia. All of these roads are the epitome of generic sprawl or otherwise unattractive development.

I actually think that Columbia does not have a signature street. If it does then the closest one may be Main St. Columbia has districts like Five Points, which aren't really centered on one single road.

I think the only one in Greenville is Main Street becasue Main St is THE place to be in Greenville.

My definition:

I think a signature street is something like Bourbon Street in New Orleans, Peachtree Street in Atlanta, or King Street in Charleston. These are important streets that are used to sell the city to visitors, typically have a variety of shopping and dining options, and is typically centered around the CBD. This would not generally be a suburban road, though I'm sure certain circumstances exist to where this may be the case. (Also, the first post said to share your signature/famous street, which are rarely suburban ones)

What do you think of that definition?

In Norfolk, definitely Granby Street in downtown, but also the major thoroughfares in the financial district, Waterside Drive, Main, etc. (any other suggestions from Norfolk guys in here?) In Virginia Beach, Atlantic Avenue without a doubt is the signature street -- it is the epicenter of activity and attractions, with all its hotels, bars, clubs, stores, restaraunts, etc. At some point down the road, Virginia Beach Blvd will probably replace it with all the development along it, new businesses, walkability, and new residents as well. That is several years off, however, and depends on the success of a lot of speculative developments currently underway.

And here in my charming home city of Newport News, Virginia... we don't really have one. Jefferson Avenue is the main thoroughfare with the most developments and traffic, but there is certainly nothing 'signature' about it, unfortunately. Hopefully portions of it will become interconnected and walkable in the future, but that will be pretty darned far into the future ...

That definition works very well, IMO. Using that definition of a "signature street," I would say that in no particular order, these are the signature streets in New Orleans:
  • Canal Street (CBD)

• Bourbon Street (French Quarter)

• Royal Street (French Quarter)

• Saint Charles Avenue (Uptown)

• 5 weeks later...

I have already mentioned Bristol.....

Johnson City - North Roan Street, Roan Street, Bristol Highway, North State of Franklin, East Oakland, East Unaka, South Broadway, West Market Street and University Blvd.

Kingsport - Stone Drive, West Stone Dr, East Stone Drive, North-South J.B. Dennis Highway, South-North Wilcox Dr., Lynn Garden Dr., Fort Henry Drive, East Center Street, North Eastman Rd., Lincoln Street.

Elizabethton - Veterans Memorial Parkway, Broad St, West G Street, East F Street, North Lynn Street, West Elk Avenue.

Just to mention a few more in Bristol.....

Randall Expressway, N-S State Street, Euclid Avenue, Lee Highway, Broad St., Anderson St., Volunteer Parkway, Commonwealth Avenue, Weaver Pike, 5th St., Edgemont Avenue, Pennsylvania Avenue, Virginia Avenue, etc.

In Knoxville, TN - here are a few that I am aware of...

Western Avenue NW, North Broadway, 17th St. NW, East Magnolia, North Olive, West 5th St. and recently it is my understanding that a new busy roadway has opened- "Hall of Fame Drive" - which I think is close to James White Pkwy.

• 3 weeks later...
In Knoxville, TN - here are a few that I am aware of...

Western Avenue NW, North Broadway, 17th St. NW, East Magnolia, North Olive, West 5th St. and recently it is my understanding that a new busy roadway has opened- "Hall of Fame Drive" - which I think is close to James White Pkwy.

Archived