39 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to vote this year?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Voting right now...won't be back until tomorrow. ;) I actually will be voting on a mixture of parties, so my voting time in the booth won't be quick. Unfortunately, South Carolinians don't have perfect choices for many of the offices open for election. However, the one clear choice for me (for which I have absolutely NO reservations in voting this person) is Ravenel for Treasurer.

As for the other offices...it would take me too long to spell them out. I remind all of the American citizens on this forum, exercise your right to vote. So what if it's raining or snowing? Hell, Iraqis voted with fear of death on them! :wacko:

Only one big race in Durham: District Attorney

Mike Nifong (who's running the Duke lacrosse rape investigation) is being challenged by Lewis Cheek, who said he doesn't plan on taking the job if elected. There were a couple of guys (looked like lacrosse players, if I had to guess) holding up Cheek signs in front of the polling place this morning. Since it's raining cats and dogs today, I don't think there will be too many Duke students heading out to the polls. They don't want to ruin their designer jeans!

I'm still a little befuddled about not having to show an ID when I go to vote. I mean, I could go in there and say I'm my girlfriend (she's got a "unisex" first name - Shannon). What's to stop someone from voting four or five times using names of friends, relatives, even enemies? All I had to provide today was my address. Same thing in a different state in '04.

Only one big race in Durham: District Attorney

Mike Nifong (who's running the Duke lacrosse rape investigation) is being challenged by Lewis Cheek, who said he doesn't plan on taking the job if elected. There were a couple of guys (looked like lacrosse players, if I had to guess) holding up Cheek signs in front of the polling place this morning. Since it's raining cats and dogs today, I don't think there will be too many Duke students heading out to the polls. They don't want to ruin their designer jeans!

I'm still a little befuddled about not having to show an ID when I go to vote. I mean, I could go in there and say I'm my girlfriend (she's got a "unisex" first name - Shannon). What's to stop someone from voting four or five times using names of friends, relatives, even enemies? All I had to provide today was my address. Same thing in a different state in '04.

The senate looks good for the democrats too. All they need are 3 seats. There are 4 seats up for grab:

Virginia

Tennessee

Montanta

Missouri

The democratic candidate just edged over the republican candidate in Virginia with 99% of the votes. It will likely result in a recount but the democrats will likely still win this Virginia seat. Missouri looks good for the democrats becasue the the St Lous and Kansas City urban districts have not been couted yet. The polls also showed the Montana favors democrats. All they need are those three and the democrats will win the Senate also. The Tennessee district appears to go republican.

From a gay perspective nationally it warms the cockles of my heart that my former home state of PA kicked that bigot Santorum to the curb. Rep Marilyn Musgrave R of CO, who based her entire campaign on gay bashing won reelection though :angry: I am excited that we had one victory in defeating the marriage amendments! GO ARIZONA :thumbsup: Here in Charlotte, neighboring SC slam dunked the Marriage Amendement something like 78% to 22% :shok: I was expecting a loss but that really bites. I am heartened over the Dem takeover in the House. I can't wait for oversight hearings into the Iraq War. It's finally accountability time!

The Democratic takeover of the house (and probably the senate) doesn't bother me at all. I think it's a good thing to have the opposite party in control of the legislature than is in the White House; I always hope for a Republican congress when a Dem is in the White House and a Dem congress when a Republican is in the White House. What bothers me is that nut Pelosi is the speaker. Having lived in a district directly adjacent to hers, I can safely say she's more liberal even than most California Democrats, and that's saying something, let alone the rest of the nation. But I suppose we'll see how that goes.

The Democratic takeover of the house (and probably the senate) doesn't bother me at all. I think it's a good thing to have the opposite party in control of the legislature than is in the White House; I always hope for a Republican congress when a Dem is in the White House and a Dem congress when a Republican is in the White House. What bothers me is that nut Pelosi is the speaker. Having lived in a district directly adjacent to hers, I can safely say she's more liberal even than most California Democrats, and that's saying something, let alone the rest of the nation. But I suppose we'll see how that goes.

Archived