To all you photographers

janrey

Ideally, I'd like to stick to only 1/2 day (or a few hours), so I had given a couple of options on time of day.

• Would your preference be for early morning OR late afternoon (i.e. sunrise and daylight OR daylight and sunset)?

• Would you like to walk downtown from Springwood Cemetery to the West End, just keep it focused on one area (i.e. FallsPark/RiverPlace/RiverWalk), OR is there some other area of town that would be better suited?

Someone had suggested meeting somewhere, going into separate parts of town in smaller groups, and then meeting up again afterwards. I'd be up for that if we have a large group, but if our numbers are small, there may be better synergies to be had from remaining together in a pack.

I'll figure out a time and place once I've gotten some feedback on these, hopefully.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May I suggest planning a time that will overlap both daylight and lowlight conditions - either early morning or evening, as RT listed? My reasoning is that there are sure to be individuals interested in photographing our favorite downtown subjects at different times of day, and such a lapse in time would offer the potential to teach/learn how much variation is necessary to achieve the desired shot at any given time of day. For more privacy, morning is best, but for opportunities to capture more people, or to let them know about our online group, evening would certainly be the best choice.

My schedule is currently in the midst of change, and likely will be drastically different by that date, so I cannot commit to being there yet. I may very well be working either time, and if so, likely out of town. I'll let others know about it though, and hopefully I and at least a few others will join in the fun. :thumbsup:

The Greenville News Business section has a small article on the front page about the Visitors Bureau and Michelin seeking amateur photographers to submit their photographs for inclusion in a new book called Greenville & Upcountry Guide 2007 for the CVB. I can offhand think of several in here who have wonderful photographs that deserve entry http://www.greenvillecvb.com/photos.asp

The course is actually sponsored by Furman's Lifelong Learning program in conjunction with the art museum. The museum itself has a whole range of courses that they offer, including some in photography.

If you're interested, I think there are still some slots available in the portraiture class. It lasts three Saturday mornings beginning January 27 through February 10, from 10:00 AM until 1:00 PM. The cost is $79. You can get more info from the Lifelong Learning website. There's a link to a PDF file for their winter schedule.

It's been years since I've been to Cameras Unlimited. I wasn't even sure if they were still open - they keep such unusual hours. I know they had a great select for film cameras, but have they kept up with DSLR's and other digitals?

Apart from them, I don't know of any other real camera shops in town anymore. Wolf Camera has an OK selection, but ever since they got bought by Ritz their selection just hasn't been the same.

I guess we'll just have to wait for the visitor's guide to see who won...

A reminder: we're still on for 3:00pm Saturday Afternoon (there's a 5K race downtown that morning). Be sure to have on your walking shoes, bring a tripod with you (if you have one...may want to leave it in the car until dusk) and to have your batteries fully charged. :thumbsup:

RT. I probably wont be able to attend the photo walk. My new camera and gear

along with my laptop,two cell phones,GPS and mp3 player, were stolen last Monday

from my truck.

This morning one of my guys dropped a piece of iron pipe, about 1100 pounds

from the front end loader onto my toes. Needless to say I am not having fun trying

to walk around.

I just read that in the other thread (the stolen items part). That totally sucks and I'm still not quite over the shock. I do think I'll carry my camera gear with me everywhere I go from now on rather than risk leaving it in the car though.

It sucks about your toes, too.

Hope your week ends better than it has begun.

Archived