Campbell Law School in Downtown Raleigh

ncwebguy

I think this is justified in getting its own topic.

They could easily take a few floors of Site 1 for classrooms and offices, with possible apartments for some students in the residential/hotel tower for those who want to live downtown. This would put them a couple of blocks from the Wake County courthouse, and less than a mile from the Terry Sandford federal building.

It would be a lot different than the current campus, but I think it would be a change for the better.

As Johnston and Wales has been a good building block of downtown Charlotte, and Elon College's program in G'boro, this could pull the CBD closer to a 18 hour-a-day City.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Campbell Law School is doing a feasibilty study of moving to downtown Raleigh. It would be a great move for this school as its applicant pool would most likely grow and students would have better access to resources. Hopefully this will happen.

Story

Merge this with the other post please.

we've had a disccusion about this in the downtown raleigh's future thread, maybe the moderator could pull those comments into here?

Not to duplicate what I said on the other thread, but the school is very highly rank, I think they average a 98-99 percent bar passage. Their current building on the main campus isn't the biggest in the world and when I was a student there, they seemed to be pressed for space. (Yes, pressed for space in Buies Creek).

I think this is a tremendously positive idea for the university. It's reflective of the new leadership that's been in been in place for about 4 years now.

I think this would be great. I'm really suprised that something like this hasn't happened any sooner. I know that Campbell offers some night classes at a satellite campus in RTP, but this would be great for Raleigh. The location is about as prime as you can get.

To be quite honest, I'm really suprised there is not a coed private college in Raleigh. The closest ones are Campbell, Duke, and Barton. Wonder if Raleigh will ever have one?

What a great opportunity for Campbell and Raleigh. I posted something on Raleighing suggesting that old Wachovia building as a spot. The 25-foot ceilings of the sunken 1st floor would make a prime auditorium classroom opportunity. The building needs work, for sure, but it will never be class A office space, and the school doesn't need class A office space.

I just question if it is big enough. If it's not, maybe they could get the similar building next door that the city has offices in, too. If it is big enough, this looks like a real opportunity to get a bargain on a building for them. Building a new one within walking distance of the court buildings would be extremely expensive.

I think this is justified in getting its own topic.

They could easily take a few floors of Site 1 for classrooms and offices, with possible apartments for some students in the residential/hotel tower for those who want to live downtown. This would put them a couple of blocks from the Wake County courthouse, and less than a mile from the Terry Sandford federal building.

It would be a lot different than the current campus, but I think it would be a change for the better.

As Johnston and Wales has been a good building block of downtown Charlotte, and Elon College's program in G'boro, this could pull the CBD closer to a 18 hour-a-day City.

I can definitely see that. When i was there (98-02), there was a different, backward-thinking, good ol' boy administration that believed in the way things "used to be." However, now there is a new administration that has build new "co-ed" dorms, is building a state-of-the art pharmacy school to replace an old decrepid building, a 5,000 seat convocation center and is enhacing the way campus looks.

I say that to say this. If there was ever an opportunity to move the Law School off the main campus, it's now. The university is growing rapidly and has many new board and advisor members, not to mention a president that believes in providing the best for its students. If this was to have been considered even a few years ago, it would have NEVER happened. I'm sure it will be VERY contentious because there are "just enough" of the good ol' boys around, but I think it will happen.

Of course they're going to be upset if it moves - but the points the Dean made about it helping students be closer to courts and other networking opportunities is a much better argument for them to move than the argument about lost grocies is for them to stay. I truly believe Campbell Law would be better suited in Raleigh - not to mention it would be awesome to have them downtown! :)

(Ok so my true motives come out ;))

I am sure they are studying the move because of Elon's decision to open up shop in downtown Greensboro. These schools seem like they would court similar students. If Campbell decides to stay in Buies Creek I am sure Elon will overshadow this school. To me it would be a no-brainer.

Agreed. Elon has a fledgeling school, while Campbell's has produced thousands of lawyers since 1976. Even if it chooses not to move, or it establishes a satelitte campus in downtown (which they've done before with other things) I believe that it would still continue to thrive, it just may not grow as rapidly as it would if the whole school moved downtown.

Perhaps you are correct. I think that there is more to the issue than that. Campbell's law program is #1 in NC and to maintain that rank there should be a presence in a major city. I can't see Elon overshadowing Campbell. How did you come to this assertion?

Living by Elon I know first hand that it has made huge strives towards excellence (moving from college to university status, spending 100's of millions on campus infrastructure, and having a major hand in the development of west Burlington) Elon moving its law school to downtown Greensboro in a large pre-existing building was a major statement that they were looking to move up. "Eventually" if commuter rail in the Triad is establised one will be able to hop on a train from Elon's Campus and travel within blocks of the law school. Campbell can only benefit by moving it's law school to downtown Raleigh. I believe Wake Forest has had sucess offering its classes in uptown Charlotte but I stand corrected.

I agree that it would be a great activity center for downtown Raleigh, and an awesome addition to the mix of new stuff invigorating downtown.

Campbell has a long tradition in the state and has produced some excellent lawyers, but it suffers from an "underdog" status in the legal community. I think having their students close to the courts and major law firms with offices here is a great idea for their networking and image overall.

As far as law faculty, I don't know for sure, but I bet a good number of them commute to Buies Creek from Raleigh anyway.

Seems like a win-win all the way around to me.

Man, that article in the Dunn newspaper was a disaster. The question remains-what does Harnett County have to offer? Seems to me that just like a lot of areas in this state, they took it for granted that things would stay the same. Hopefully Raleigh will throw in some incentives to expedite this move such as access to parking, tax credits, etc.

Many (most?) top law firms in the state do not recruit on campus at Campbell, and do not hire their graduates in the ranks of first year associates. Don't ask me why: as was stated earlier, they have the highest pass rate for the Bar exam, and some of the brightest people I know got their law degrees there. it's just not seen as a top-tier law school like Duke, Wake or Chapel Hill. My sense is that bringing the law school to Raleigh could change that.

Archived