Campbell Law School in Downtown Raleigh

ncwebguy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many (most?) top law firms in the state do not recruit on campus at Campbell, and do not hire their graduates in the ranks of first year associates.

I'll tell you why. Having worked at one of these top firms in a former life. Campbell, historically, has not been as high a rated school as others in the area, such as Duke, UNC, UVA, Harvard, Michigan. (the rankings are done by various groups). They also accept students with lower credentials than such schools (it is easier to get in). It is just like any other company would view hiring. The top tier firms can pick and choose, so they pick to go to the higher rated schools. They just don't have the man hours to interview and recruit at EVERY school, so they pick the "best". Now, before everyone jumps on me, that is not to say that bad lawyers can't come out of top rated schools and great lawyers come out of Campbell, that is true of every profession. Whatever profession you are in, I am sure there are schools that are more well known or well thought of in your profession. Regarding the Bar pass rate, I think that is a red herring. Schools like Duke and UNC and Harvard are not necessarily training students for the NC Bar Exam. Whereas a more local based school does to a greater extent. More Campbell grads, I think, are staying in NC. While a higher percentage of grads from UNC, etc. are going all over the country or world.

I think a move to Raleigh, as opposed to being in Buies Creek, would help change their reputation. In addition, it would give them an opportunity to get lawyers in these top tiered firms, or otherwise wtih great reputations and busy practices, to come teach a class, or give lectures, etc. thus opening up everyone's view of what is really going on at Campbell.

Just my two cents.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Cool! Another piece of good news for downtown development. The next question is, where will they move? How many sf of office space would 350 students, administration and associated professors, support staff, and a law library require? 50k?

I read somewhere (SSC?) that they could move to the "L" building. I suppose Site 1 could be a possibility too, given it's prominent location. I think those are the two largest (only?) major office projects I can think of that could handle something like this.

Hillsorough Place isn't that big, and has a smallish two story parking structure with Morgan Street traffic parking in the "basement" and Hillsborough Street traffic parking on the "top" floor. Will that building be enough? Maybe they'll lease spaces from the city's deck across Morgan.

If there was an office component to the Reynolds building across the street, that could be used for expansion down the road. Maybe they have a vision for the parking lot and small gray building on the NW Morgan/McDowell corner? Maybe the city is going to rebuild the existing McDowell/Morgan/Dawson deck while the Lightner Center is built? It will hurt in the short term, but be nice long term.

Variety Realty bought Hillsborough Place in 2005 for $11.125 M. I wonder what Campbell paid for it? The WRAL story says:

Campbell University President Jerry M. Wallace, law school Dean Melissa A. Essary and other faculty members were downtown Wednesday afternoon having their photo taken in front of an office building at 225 Hillsborough St.

Is that much space needed? I have a friend who just started their this semester and he was telling me about the whole process. Some of it involves working for a company as an intern, not in a classroom. He told me that they will have jobs set up at a firm in the Wachovia building, he's starting in summer 2009.

Thats great news!!!!

I think its a win-win for both Raleigh and Campbell. Raleigh will certainly gain some vital economic activity downtown, not to mention its first law school and Campbell will benefit from being alot closer to a wealth of state,city and county government legal functions, which will raise its stature in the law school world and as a result, could send attendance at the law school to record highs. Who knows, this could become a success beyond the school's expectations and entice them to build a satellite campus in Raleigh that offers many of the things the main campus does. I really get the feeling deep down that this could only be the beginning.

The Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law, which employs about 50 staff and faculty members, will move to 225 Hillsborough St. The 107,000-square-foot downtown building is owned by a company headed by Art Pope, a former state legislator and well-known conservative.

The school will begin a fundraising campaign to pay for the renovation of the building.

A letter to tenants of the building had said that the sale should be final by March; renovations will begin next summer.

BTW, here's the WRAL story & video.

is the largest state capital in the U.S. without a law school.

Tenants of the building, which is owned by former state lawmaker Art Pope, said they were notified by letter Wednesday that the 107,000-square-foot building would be sold to Campbell by early next year.

Frank Holding Jr., president of First Citizens Bank, will oversee a fundraising campaign to renovate the building for the law school, Wallace said.

Yeah, I had heard rumors that they would move there... since they'll take over the entire building, I wonder where N.C. Institute for Constitutional Law and Americans for Prosperity will move to?

Interesting article on the backstory of the whole move in N&O today, including that the school should be officially moved in by January of 2009. Meeker also states that the city offered no incentives to Campbell to move the law school here, except for promising some internships to their students and improved street scaping in front of the school.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/higher_ed...ory/726874.html

Interesting article on the backstory of the whole move in N&O today, including that the school should be officially moved in by January of 2009. Meeker also states that the city offered no incentives to Campbell to move the law school here, except for promising some internships to their students and improved street scaping in front of the school.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/higher_ed...ory/726874.html

In today's N&O piece that discusses the Pope angle and the Steve Stroud/Art Pope conversation that eventually turned into Hillsborough Place's sale to the law school. At least the Pope family sees the value in downtown.

Maybe they'll want to buy (or build?) land nearby. Since the school will be open in fall 2009, current tenants won't be able to wait till Site 1 and the L open. Or they will need temporary space somewhere and then move there.

I hope this will make it easier for lunch places to pop up in the Capitol/Hillsborough Street corridor, similar to the VCU campus in Richmond. The students and professors can't eat at the Borough, Berkley, Joe's Place, Flying Saucer, and Roast Grill every day!

The Raleigh Chamber of Commerce used to be in that building, but haven't been since the Pope purchase. Also, it is somewhat ironic that John Edwards had his NC (if not national) HQ in that building during the 2004 campaign, right before Pope bought it.

The Law School also highlights the fact that there are few *apartments* downtown east of Glenwood other than rented condo units. Tucker will help, and the apartments near St. Marys always seem to have an opening, but if another proposed condo project turns into apartments to get built, I don't think that would be a bad thing.

Archived