Hartford Out of Bottom 25

LItoCT

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally cant stand these rankings because they are so unfair.

Some places on this list arent really cities...are more suburbs, some are townships and some are extremly small in size and or population compared to others...for example

1. Newton, yes it could be a city but it is most definitly a suburb of Boston

2. The cities in CT included are Hartford, Bridgeport, Stamford, Danbury, Waterbury and Norwalk. There is some reason but I forgot it but they dont include New Haven (it better be a good reason). They include New Bedford in MA and if they do this then why not include New London and/or Norwich?

3. In Rhode Island they include Providence and Cranston but not Pawtucket.

4. How can Cranston and Newton be compared to New York City, Baltimore, Boston, Atlanta, Philly, etc.????

Some places on this list arent really cities...are more suburbs, some are townships and some are extremly small in size and or population compared to others...for example

2. The cities in CT included are Hartford, Bridgeport, Stamford, Danbury, Waterbury and Norwalk. There is some reason but I forgot it but they dont include New Haven (it better be a good reason). They include New Bedford in MA and if they do this then why not include New London and/or Norwich?

4. How can Cranston and Newton be compared to New York City, Baltimore, Boston, Atlanta, Philly, etc.????

Two years ago, an arsonist set fire to a Hartford nursing home killing 16 people. Because it was arson, the 16 deaths were classified as homocide which drove Hartford's "dangerous" factor through the roof.

Be careful when evaluating polls or lists like like this that don't take these things into account.

Newton may have 85k, but it's still very much a suburb of Boston, and a very wealthy one at that.

IMHO, cities like Hartford are extremely disadvantaged in these rankings by their very small geographic footprints. Most cities, particularly Western ones, have sprawling areas with tons of suburban crime-free neighborhoods to balance out their sketchy areas. Hartford's small area prevents it from having much to balance out the North End with. I mean really is it fair to compare crime in Hartford - 18 sq. miles, to crime in Anchorage - 1,698 sq. miles?

Even cities like Boston can be disadvanted. In another area of the country Newton could be part of Boston but it isnt but an area like Dorchester & Roxbury are parts of the city and there crime factors are figured into Boston...and Boston is extremly low on this list.

This list puts many major cities...even besides Hartford...at a disadvantage. Cities like Baltimore, Philadelphia, Boston, Detroit, etc are at a disadvantage.

They should only be including the main city that is part of the metro area....even though there would be less cities ranked. In Boston it would be only Boston (no Newton), in RI just Providence (no Cranston), etc....

i checked out the rankings and the 371 (what kind of number is that?) cities ranked. is there any rhyme or reason behind the cities they rank? i imagine it has to do with size, but i've only seen them broken down by sizes of 500k+, 100k-499k, 75k-99k. do they only rank cities with 75k or more or only choose certain cities with those population sizes (surely there must be more than 371 cities in teh country with over 75k, nevermind including norwalk and waterbury, but not new haven).

anyways, yes, a lot can go into those numbers and it is good to see hartford falling in the list.

their metro area rankings are weird as well, they ranked providence, cranston, and warwick, but not the providence metro (at least not that i could see). i think they should keep their rankings organized by population and rank every city in the country, not just the ones they see fit.

i checked out the rankings and the 371 (what kind of number is that?) cities ranked. is there any rhyme or reason behind the cities they rank? i imagine it has to do with size, but i've only seen them broken down by sizes of 500k+, 100k-499k, 75k-99k. do they only rank cities with 75k or more or only choose certain cities with those population sizes (surely there must be more than 371 cities in teh country with over 75k, nevermind including norwalk and waterbury, but not new haven).

anyways, yes, a lot can go into those numbers and it is good to see hartford falling in the list.

their metro area rankings are weird as well, they ranked providence, cranston, and warwick, but not the providence metro (at least not that i could see). i think they should keep their rankings organized by population and rank every city in the country, not just the ones they see fit.

I paid 2 bucks for the full report so I could write an article on it for the Trinity Tripod - if anyone wants to know, the city is now ranked as the 34th most dangerous in the US (around Dallas and Buffalo and four places safer than Springfield, MA). Metro Hartford Ranks as the 220th most dangerous out of 344 Metro Areas (can also be said as being the 124th safest Metro). This puts us in about the same league as Norwich-New London (123rd Safest) and Greater New York (135th Safest Metro).

Archived