Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Minneapolitan

Downtown Minneapolis - An Evolving 30 Years

11 posts in this topic

I found these photos posted by MNMike at SkyScraperPage.

dc024864.jpg

03M_Skyline%20Minneapolis.JPG

Since the IDS tower was built in 1973 downtown Minneapolis has seen amazing growth. The downtown area has added 48 towers of 15 stories or more.

Since 2000, there have been over 50 projects, including office, condos, transit, and cultural institutions completed in the downtown area; 14 projects are currently under construction; at least 17 projects are waiting to break ground; and 5 have the city approvals needed to move forward.

Holy crap! 48 towers of 15 stories or more?? And 14 more under construction now! Are they all in the CBD area of Dt or are they across the city limits? That is amazing growth either way, truly a city to envy. Tampa has been trying to grow DT, but is much slower than minneapolis.

Steve

I'm sorry. I didn't mean 14 projects that are all over 15 stories. 3 are condo towers; 2 over 20 stories and 1 over 30 stories. And yes, all these projects are within the downtown area.

Minneapolis has one of my favorite skylines anywhere! The skyline looked great on MNF on ESPN last night. The tan layered skyscraper(forgot name?)middle/left has the best night-time lighting.

That is some amazing growth in thirty years. I love how well Minneapolis is kept together instead of being loosely spread out.

I still can't get over this. That is quite a transformation. Minneapolis is one of those cities I'd still love to visit someday.

I still can't get over this. That is quite a transformation. Minneapolis is one of those cities I'd still love to visit someday.

Same here, but I'd have to go in the summer. I couldn't take Illinois winters let alone Minnesotas.

Thats wild that it's changed so much in just 30 years. It's crazy to think what another 30 years will give it.