Tallest buildings you've climbed...

JDC

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been on both the tower in San Antonio and the Arch. For some reason I got nervous on the ride to the top on the Arch. Great views from there though. I wish I had had my camera with me.

Wow, that is too cool. NYC is one city I still want to visit so much. I absolutely love Chicago, and I believe I'd love Chicago just as much... if not more. I've said many times I'm not a fan of NYC's skyline. That's just because it's so cluttered and I can't focus in as much on any buildings in particular... even less now without the WTC towers. But the sheer size of that city's skyline just ABSOLUTELY blows my mind.

I've been on both the tower in San Antonio and the Arch. For some reason I got nervous on the ride to the top on the Arch. Great views from there though. I wish I had had my camera with me.

If you look closely in that photo, you can see the Statue of Liberty in the harbor (upper right). It was covered in scafolding that year for its first ever major refurbishment.

Oh and as for you getting nervous on the ride up in the Arch... could it be that the little egg you ride in feels like a 50-year-old roller coaster car going up to the top? Wow, that is one rickety thing. I'm not at all afraid of heights, but I AM afraid of falling. And that thing feels like it could give and fall. I closed my eyes as I rode that thing, and I've never been afraid riding the express elevator to the top of the Sears Tower.

Wow, that is too cool. NYC is one city I still want to visit so much. I absolutely love Chicago, and I believe I'd love Chicago just as much... if not more. I've said many times I'm not a fan of NYC's skyline. That's just because it's so cluttered and I can't focus in as much on any buildings in particular... even less now without the WTC towers. But the sheer size of that city's skyline just ABSOLUTELY blows my mind.

Wow, I never would have noticed that. That's an icon that I'd love to see first-hand. I just wish I'd been able to see... and visit... WTC. :(

Oh and as for you getting nervous on the ride up in the Arch... could it be that the little egg you ride in feels like a 50-year-old roller coaster car going up to the top? Wow, that is one rickety thing. I'm not at all afraid of heights, but I AM afraid of falling. And that thing feels like it could give and fall. I closed my eyes as I rode that thing, and I've never been afraid riding the express elevator to the top of the Sears Tower.

Unfortunately the tallest I've been up is the St Louis Arch. That elevator ride is crazy, all the creaking makes me uncomfortable. But the Arch will not be the tallest for long, I'm going to Chicago in the Spring and will scale the Sears Tower. Does anyone have anything to say that i might need to know before I go up?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Unfortunately the tallest I've been up is the St Louis Arch. That elevator ride is crazy, all the creaking makes me uncomfortable. But the Arch will not be the tallest for long, I'm going to Chicago in the Spring and will scale the Sears Tower. Does anyone have anything to say that i might need to know before I go up?

Archived