Technology and Pharmaceutical Companies in SBC

dimebag1980

I'd noticed some discussion of tech and pharma companies on the Baton Rouge forum, and it really got me to thinking about what we have here that is often overlooked by our own citizens, including myself.

One large phamaceutical manufacturer we have in Shreveport is BASF. Located off Line/Ellerbe @ LA 3132, BASF has an enormous manufacturing facility (shown below.)

werk_shreveport.jpg

At this one facility alone, over 75% of the Unites States' supply of ibuprofen is manufactured. Most people don't realize this fact, and I only found out a year or two ago when KSLA News 12 did a report on the facility.

Another feather in our cap as far as technology and pharmaceutical companies go is the InterTech Science Park. This park is comprised of over 800 acres housing everything from small technology start-up businesses, to a business incubator, the LSU Biomedical Research Institute, to a pharmaceutical manufacturing company called Red River Pharma.

Here is a link to a brochure about the site's wet lab incubator, Biospace 1: http://www.intertechsciencepark.com/Brochure-BioSpace1.pdf

And here is a listing of tenants located within the InterTech Science Park: http://www.intertechsciencepark.com/profile_park.cfm

One of the best things about the InterTech Science Park is that it is located in a very blighted inner-city neighborhood, not far outside of downtown Shreveport. This makes for basically an oasis in that part of the city, and could in time spur a redevelopment of that part of Shreveport. It has already accomplished that to a small extent, but the possibilities are endless if this park were to continue to expand.

The master plan for this park includes a great amount of expansion, covering a huge portion of blighted inner-city Shreveport, from the LSU Medical campus all the way to I-20. here is a link to the 25-year master plan for this technology park: http://www.intertechsciencepark.com/master_plan.cfm

And some maps and renderings from the master plan:

master_plan_map.jpg

master_plan.gifmaster_plan_map.gif

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great work Brian. SBC should be proud of all of your hard work. I think that's a great location for InterTech Science Park. Those developments have a way of revitalizing neighborhoods. This type of thing seems like the growing trend in city's sucessful (area's) diversification. And manufacturing 75% of U.S. ibuprofen is very impressive too.

I aways enjoy looking at the site plans, being the map-lover I am.

Great work Brian. SBC should be proud of all of your hard work. I think that's a great location for InterTech Science Park. Those developments have a way of revitalizing neighborhoods. This type of thing seems like the growing trend in city's sucessful (area's) diversification. And manufacturing 75% of U.S. ibuprofen is very impressive too.

I aways enjoy looking at the site plans, being the map-lover I am.

Archived