New Main Library Location?

richyb83

Real Estate Weekly Property of the Week...

Not the best pic...not sure which side this is?? Parts of the new library's exterior look really nice with glass façade...other parts look ugly!

AR-131119824.jpg

Community leaders recently got a sneak peek at the $35.4 million Main Library taking shape behind the existing library branch at 7711 Goodwood Blvd. The new Main Library—which at 126,000 square feet is more than double the size of the existing branch—is expected to open early in 2014. The project broke ground in October 2011. The general contractor is Milton J. Womack.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the businessreport, the new main library isn't big enough for what they need which isn't surprising since they reduced it nearly 40% from the original plan. I really think this was a roundabout way of allowing more resources to be allocated to the downtown library.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Maybe take way "location" from this Title since it's been long established.

Very nice Award winning new library...had the chance to check out back in late Summer...pics didn't come out as well as would liked.  The way the park & library were integrated was a home-run! & the new cyber café w big screen is cool too...thank goodness the putrid outdated 60's facility was demolished for this!

Baton Rouge Embraces Green, High-Tech Library

Technology and sustainability were at the forefront of design considerations on East Baton Rouge Parish's $35-million, 126,000-sq-ft main library. The new building includes a north wall made almost entirely of glass to take advantage of natural lighting and a sloped roof that will capture rainwater for plants. The library houses at least half a million books and more than 130 public computers.

The library's new building is markedly different from the 1960s facility that previously served as the parish's main branch, with sustainable features that take advantage of natural lighting through the orientation of the building, increased insulation, glass selections and sunscreens.

Another goal was to tie the library into the surrounding Independence Park, including the botanical gardens, soccer fields and theater there. The idea was to put "the library in the park and the park in the library," Stein says.

*rest of article*

http://texas.construction.com/texas_construction_projects/2014/1215-High-Tech-Green-Library-in-Baton-Rouge.asp

• 2 months later...

Design: The East Baton Rouge Parish Main Library

7711 Goodwood Blvd., Baton Rouge

Owner: East Baton Rouge Parish
Developer: Library Board of Control
Architect: The Library Design Collaborative (a joint venture between Cockfield Jackson Architects, PSA-Dewberry and Tipton Associates)
Contractor: Milton J. Womack Inc.
Cost: $42 million
Year completed: 2014

Use: Open for only about a year, the East Baton Rouge Parish Library Main Branch on Goodwood Boulevard is the crown jewel of the library system and a beacon of architectural innovation in the city. The new facility houses more than 500,000 books, movies, electronic resources and circulating artwork, as well as a Career Center for professional guidance, a technology lab and 140 personal computers. Stained glass windows designed by artist Jon Emerson were donated to the branch, and LED lights are on display in rooms for children and teens. Trade journal Engineering News-Record selected the Goodwood branch as the Project of the Year for the Louisiana and Texas region in its 2014 Best Projects awards.

Form Follows Function: “Based on the ideas, input and enthusiastic support of the general public, the new Main Library at Goodwood is a dynamic, functional and innovative space that utilizes many green principles. It does a wonderful job on a daily basis of meeting the public’s needs for the present and has the capacity to be highly flexible and adapt to meet the changing needs of the public.”
-Library Director Spencer Watts

http://www.businessreport.com/business/su-designebr-main-library

20150213_EBRlibrary-22.jpg

(Photo by Tim Mueller)

Sorry I never answered your question, Antrell. No, it wasn't even in the running, it was just a design exercise like most of his work.

It nice for sure. Honestly I think they need to nix the River Center Branch or turn it into a City-Region history specific library and have some sort of revolving museum exhibits on Baton Rouge metro history. Or building an aquarium like Richy said.

Sorry I never answered your question, Antrell. No, it wasn't even in the running, it was just a design exercise like most of his work.

It nice for sure. Honestly I think they need to nix the River Center Branch or turn it into a City-Region history specific library and have some sort of revolving museum exhibits on Baton Rouge metro history. Or building an aquarium like Richy said.

Why don't they just tear that down and the city hall and build a longer/smaller neo-gothic City Hall and Metro Museum? 

I do like that idea! A restaurant with outdoor seating facing The Crest would work well outside of a library/museum. An aquarium should be on the River in my opinion.

Is that City Hall too? I thought the mission style building with the red tile roof was City Hall??

That's the city's courthouse.

Archived