New Main Library Location?

richyb83

Thanks for posting all of that Lamar, very good stuff. The Seattle library looks crazy, but I like the different look. Seattle is cutting edge. Portland's library looks like an older classic.

It's a shame downtown BR is not more geographically centered.

There has been a big stink about where to build the Main Library; people get too caught up in the "title". What's at Independence Park now is a joke; a super-regional library would have been a major upgrade, but the locals would have none of it. The Centroplex(RiverCenter) branch should give that office bldg. back to the city and upgrade where the EBRATS Bldg. is with more room.

The State Library at Capitol Park a totally seperate from the EBR system.

*Library Board Seeking Imput*

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/9387126.html

The library is being relocated into the center of the park, next to the botanical gardens. Access to the new library is now on Goodwood Boulevard, but plans call for it to be relocated to the other side of the park off Independence Boulevard.

Plans call for the new library to have two 40,000-square-foot floors, plus a third story with 15,000 square feet.

082707libraryparkmo6.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with many of you on this subject. I see no reason for our tax dollars to go to some over the top library branch that isn't going to get more people in it just because of the way it looks. I see nothing wrong with the downtown branch that some renovations can't help. I have never been an advocate of the "main" branch being downtown, that branch simply isn't the most used in the city/parish. The Goodwood branch always seems to be the most heavily frequented branch so if anything that one should be expanded. You expand the one that gets the most use in my mind.

Does the Goodwood Branch have more users simply because it's the "Main" library and happens to offer more?? If the downtown branch currently offers only a fraction; then wont it have less users??

What they call the Main Library at Goodwood is now so obsolete, change is very nessesary. I am a believer in "build it, and they will come". Both locations deserve better IMO and make BR proud!

The Regional library's on Bluebonnet and Greenwell Springs are nice. The Carver branch in OSBR is probably the best looking! Southdown's will hopefully get their branch in the Rouzan TND in a year or two??

Regardless of what they do to the downtown branch I just simply don't see enough people going downtown just to go to the library. Maybe once downtown has more residents and more people going there it would make sense to have a bigger branch. I say for the time being just renovate whats there already.

• 9 months later...

Why is that BRPJ??

I wasn't exactly thrilled either. But this looks O.K. I guess.

Oh sorry :lol: I meant that I am mad that they are not going to build a spectacular downtown library as it was once proposed.

Sure many people didn't see the need for it now, but eh im not going to beat what's clearly a dead horse. <_<

• 4 months later...

Eventhough this is still a few years away; I think the EBRATS location a block-away might be nice place for the new Downtown library branch??? Give the older 4-story library branch back for city use.

It's things like this that make me wish Downtown BR was in the geographic center of the city. But we are here because of the river; but stuff like this makes downtown suffer.

Library hires Trahan to study downtown branch

The East Baton Rouge Public Library has hired Trahan Architects to study the existing River Center branch to determine if the downtown building can be saved. Mary Stein, assistant library director, says the firm will decide to renovate or replace the building. "This building was designed before we were using electric typewriters in the libraries," she says. "There are no public meeting rooms, no story rooms, no place for computers." Stein says the study is part of the due diligence, a similar survey was done on the Main Library building on Goodwood Boulevard. "This will give us hard information," she says. Trahan was awarded the contract last week, and a report is expected in early spring. Stein says a new downtown branch is several years away. "We're forced to have the money for the location in the piggy bank before we start," she says. Ground will be broken in the spring or summer for the new Main Library; construction is expected to take about 18 months.

• 4 months later...

The new Main Library will nearly double the size of the old one! It will also tie into the BREC Theatre & Botanical Gardens. Hopefully some improvements can still be made at the downtown library.

Main Library plans revealed Completion goal: 2012

Plans call for the 65,000-square-foot Main Library to be demolished to make room for a 326-space parking lot off Goodwood Boulevard. The new 119,156-square-foot library would be built directly behind the proposed parking lot, with a covered driveway for buses and other vehicles.

Plans released Thursday by the Library Design Collaborative call for the construction of the new library near the East Baton Rouge Recreation and Park Commission

Gotta admit. I think they could have done a more...interesting design.

I do like that it's integrated with the soccer complex and the massive green space, but they could have pushed the envelope a bit more on the building design.

Once it is finally done it might look better in person than in this little model pic; there looks to be an more open feel with the 2-story glass windowns between levels 2 and 3. The current library is putrid :sick:

Maybe they are saving that more spectacular design for the downtown library?? :whistling:

WBRZ ask the public if the $36 million price tag for the new Main library is too much?? Some close up's of the model are shown in the video; it looks good compared some other main libraries similar in size to BR.

EBR unveils plan for new library

The East Baton Rouge Parish Library System wants to build a new library in Independence Park for a cost of $36 million. The money comes from a tax passed a few years ago and allows for improvements to the East Baton Rouge Parish libraries along with the demolition of the old main library. News 2's Rob Krieger has a look at what's in the plan.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/40166832.html

*click on video*

• 8 months later...

Wonder what the State Capitol would look like in Independence Park??

Plans nearing for new EBR main library

Final design plans for the proposed new East Baton Rouge Parish Main Library at Independence Park could be ready for approval in the first quarter of 2010. The proposed $44 million, 120,000-square-foot library has been long in the making. Farrar said Friday that officials originally hoped to break ground in March 2008.

The parish Library Board of Control has $42 million for the project and the East Baton Rouge Parish Recreation and Park Commission, which has donated the land for new library at Independence Park, has agreed to kick in $2 million for common areas. The common areas include a service yard the library will share with BREC’s Independence Theater and a large courtyard called “Thought Square” that will serve as the main entrance to the library.

The process has been slowed because of cost overruns, design changes, collaboration with BREC, and the challenge of building the first public building in Louisiana that will be certified as environmentally friendly,

112309newebrlibraryplan.jpg

• 1 year later...

Archived