Quality of Life in Your Neighborhood?

michaelskis

Quality of Life in Your Neighborhood?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. How is the overall quality of life in your neighborhood?

• Great
    • Good
    • Average
    • Bad
    • Very Bad
  2. 2. Are you active and involved in your neighborhoods?

• Very
    • Somewhat
    • Not involved
  3. 3. What are you most concerned with in your neighborhood

• Code Violations
    • Housing Stock
    • Violence
    • Crime
    • Drugs
    • Traffic
    • Other
  4. 4. Would what direction is your neighborhood going in regards to Quality of Life issues?

• Getting Better
    • Staying the Same
    • Getting Worse

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Growing up on Grand Rapids northeast side I would say our quality of life was great. We lived on a nice tree lined street of well kept homes. It was a close nit neighborhood were everyone knew each other, and the annual summer block party was the norm. We could walk or ride our bikes to places like Aberdeen Park, and Cheshire Village. We spent a lot of time at Sweetlands! We took swimming lessons at Creston pool every summer too. I went to a parochial school, but some kids on my block went to GRPS. While we locked our doors at night, there was NEVER any crime. The neighborhood I live in now is somewhat similar to the one I grew up in, close to parks, the pool and corner stores. We even had a block party last summer. I would imagine that my life would have been a little different had I lived in subdivision off some rural road or busy four or six lane avenue.

Quality of life is a very subjective measure.

My friends that live in insta-burbs (converted farmland for the most part) are miles from any stores, have no trees older than 3 or 4 yearsas far as the eye can see, and have no sidewalks in their subdivisions. THey'll tell you their quality of life is vastly superior to mine in EGR. Why? They paid less for their house, all the houses in their sub are brand new, there are more kids around (because literally every house is owned by a family), and it's less crowded (lower density).

As for me, I find that lifestyle unbearable and rate my own quality of life quite highly for all the reasons they dislike EGR compared to their pseudo-rural lifestyle.

My only point is that it's hard to measure.

Quality of life is a very subjective measure.

My friends that live in insta-burbs (converted farmland for the most part) are miles from any stores, have no trees older than 3 or 4 yearsas far as the eye can see, and have no sidewalks in their subdivisions. THey'll tell you their quality of life is vastly superior to mine in EGR. Why? They paid less for their house, all the houses in their sub are brand new, there are more kids around (because literally every house is owned by a family), and it's less crowded (lower density).

As for me, I find that lifestyle unbearable and rate my own quality of life quite highly for all the reasons they dislike EGR compared to their pseudo-rural lifestyle.

My only point is that it's hard to measure.

I live in what would most would call a "blue-collar" neighborhood. Most houses are not particularly notable. As far as I know most people don't really know each other very well, but most people are polite and say hello when they are walking their dog down the sidewalk. Kids like to play football in the street in the fall, and sometimes they wave when you drive by and sometimes they give you a blank stare. I have only lived there for a year and a half, but am encouraged to see how many people have been improving their properties lately.

Even though I think most people don't relly know each other, I get the impression that people keep an eye on each other's houses. My biggest concern was crime, because in the last couple years, I've heard of a handful of break-ins, but I the guy who I think was responsible for most, if not all of them, was caught and arrested. I voted that things are getting better in my neighborhood.

I've been in my neighborhood for over five years now. We have regular block gatherings and I make it to about every third one. People have been fixing up their homes this summer (a few got painted and a few yard remodeling projects happened). It's hard to pinpoint one concern though - I ended up going with code violations because if people aren't keeping up with their homes it welcomes other unsavory elements. I will say though, that I've witnessed at least two drug deals on my street in the last couple months and my home was broken into last fall. To be honest though this doesn't color my perception of my neighborhood, the drug deals are happening on every street and there are break ins all over town.

We live in a cookie-cutter neighborhood on the NW side. Development went in about 8 years ago or so, they're still finishing some of the houses nearby. It's ok. I prefer older homes, on older streets, with older trees like I had in Grandville growing up. Ours is all new homes, all younger trees (I really like trees), roughly 3 or 4 different house plans. We live on a corner lot, so thats nice b/c it does stick out a bit, and Lord willing my landscaping next spring will add to our separation from the ordinary.

My biggest complaint would be that our neighbors really don't wave much, or try and get together. I think its because all of us are all so new, and they're just not outgoing. I have been thinking about possibly trying to organize a block party, or at least a get together for a few houses, just to get to know each other better.

I would rate our quality of life as high, we do consider ourselves blessed with a decent home in a safe neighborhood. Still, I would prefer it if the neighborhood had some character and more activity.

Im on the ne side of town and have been in my neighborhood for over 10 years now. My biggest complaint would be the college kids that are moving into house and they party weeknds and dont keep up on there property because they are renters. Back when we moved into our neighborhood the homes were more well kept while today alot of ppl keep up on there property but some are not. Another complaint would be loud music cant something be done to stop people from banging there music at all hours of the night. Other than that no problems the area is safe and its close by malls movie theaters downtown.

There is a "quiet hours" ordinance within the City of GR - 11:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. Calling the GRPD non-emergency number is a great way to to deal with the loud music from the neighbors. They will dispatch a car to the site in question. One call usually does the trick...

I don't know if I've lived here long enough, but just based on my opinion I voted:

1. Average

2. Somewhat -- Talking to the neighbors immediately as I was moving in. The elevators make the community close. There's about 200 or so people in my building and I think I've seen almost all of them on the lift. It's awkward to not talk, mind as well get to know everyone.

3. Traffic -- I live off of a 28th and Broadmoor in Schaumburg.

4. Getting Worse

There is a "quiet hours" ordinance within the City of GR - 11:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. Calling the GRPD non-emergency number is a great way to to deal with the loud music from the neighbors. They will dispatch a car to the site in question. One call usually does the trick...

I didnt know that ordinace existed but im referring to the cars that drive by my neighborhood it seems in the past year or so it has gotten worse the windows shake sometimes the dog barks its a real problem i would sayand i 2 in the morning some people should have respect to turn there musi down in a residential neighborhood.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived