St. Paul's Quadrant (Phase 1-Under Construction)

Aughie

I think people also forget the city did the same thing 15 years ago with Broad Creek. One of my closest friends grew up in Bowling Park, and his family received a voucher. I don't recall what the other options were, but I'd like to think SPQ will be closer to Broad Creek in the 2000s than East Ghent in the mid-70s.

I could be wrong but from what I've seen, the mixed-use housing in that area has been a success, esp. with the new Bowling Elementary/Broad Creek Library and the Kroc Center.

• Like 2

It may very well be that not every single person who expresses a desire to return will be able to return.

Frankly, I think SOME of this outcry is just noise:  Nonsense prevailing in a fact-free zone.  We’re living in troubled times, where b*tching, kvetching, whining and being outraged is almost de rigueur. In the end, I think the City will perform better than expected, and the vast majority of these concerns will be addressed in a positive manner. I hope I’m right. 

Edited by baobabs727

• 1 month later...

I'm in DC. One of my favorite cities. As I've said several times, I wish I could bottle up the energy and culture here, bring it back home and pour it into the Elizabeth River or the streets downtown.

But more importantly, I'm looking at the architecture and street layout, and this is what SPQ needs to be. Most buildings are 8-12 stories, but it's busy and bustling. There are restaurants and retail in every block, on the ground floor. People walking around. Hopefully the community here is replicated back in Norfolk, even if it's only 4-8 stories. That would still create a nice presence from 264.

Below is a screenshot from a video I shot earlier.

dc.jpeg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, BFG said:

I'm in DC. One of my favorite cities. As I've said several times, I wish I could bottle up the energy and culture here, bring it back home and pour it into the Elizabeth River or the streets downtown.

But more importantly, I'm looking at the architecture and street layout, and this is what SPQ needs to be. Most buildings are 8-12 stories, but it's busy and bustling. There are restaurants and retail in every block, on the ground floor. People walking around. Hopefully the community here is replicated back in Norfolk, even if it's only 4-8 stories. That would still create a nice presence from 264.

Below is a screenshot from a video I shot earlier.

dc.jpeg

Having lived in Chicago for the past 5 years, I share a similar sentiment in terms of how you can have an active community with a well planned street grid without the height in place. While in Lakeview, there were active retail streets with residential above paired with side streets of residential, and I feel like that could thrive in SPQ.

• Like 1

I live in DC and my biggest complaint about the modern buildings here is they are all glorified boxes.  Not much architecture over the last 60 years has been imaginative or interesting.   I hope SPQ uses bold architecture and color to enliven the community.  

• Like 2

On 5/26/2021 at 8:02 AM, 757Duke said:

Having lived in Chicago for the past 5 years, I share a similar sentiment in terms of how you can have an active community with a well planned street grid without the height in place. While in Lakeview, there were active retail streets with residential above paired with side streets of residential, and I feel like that could thrive in SPQ.

Chicago is the perfect big urban city for me, I love having the urban commercial corridors with the tree lined residential streets coming off of them with the courtyard apartment buildings and greystone buildings lining those streets. Then throw in a mix of residential towers along major corridors and the El, and its a big city that is big enough without being too big.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, 757pilot said:

Not the best picture but caught the demolition of the McDonald’s on St Paul’s Blvd this morning. It looks like they are already half way done tearing it down. 

CF4D85FC-3B33-453A-B08F-7F9395D1C3B0.jpeg

Wow an end to era.  My father's dental practice was in the 555 Fenchurch St. Building (torn down in 2003), and he use to send me over to this McDonald's to fetch lunch when I worked in his practice in 1980.   Downtown Plaza was a bustling shopping center back then.  I am looking forward to when SPQ is complete at this location.  

• Like 4

• vdogg changed the title to St. Paul's Quadrant (Phase 1-Under Construction)
  • vdogg pinned this topic

The entirety of Fenchurch street is undergoing demolition. I had no idea they were going to undertake this much at once. Once things are fully underway, this may well be the most massive construction project Norfolk has ever seen.

I'll be honest, I think I really failed to grasp the enormity of this project. Now that all the construction equipment is out and all the buildings are cordoned off, this is basically going to double the size of our downtown.

• Like 1

From what I can tell, the buildings for the Transit Center, block 19, and block 20 are all under construction. I don't have a name for the structures on 19 and 20 yet, so can't break them out into separate threads. The pump station is of course under construction. All the rest of the housing bounded by Brambleton (to the North)  and Church Street is either undergoing or being prepared for demolition.

5 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

Some updated renders for Tidewater Gardens from the recent Planning Commission workshop. 

ADC99CF0-DC6F-4E5A-84F2-713BBBB76731.jpeg

FBCC7DAA-D5E2-4782-8F87-E91E7B69D3A9.jpeg

BE11BEDA-67BF-47CF-B535-7FE3A04FB157.jpeg

03730E6F-2286-4DC1-A231-AA7C79F857CD.jpeg

031465D1-EC9E-4B83-9757-AED7F380CF4F.jpeg

F8B8ED06-819A-4E04-BE19-13316B1C073B.jpeg

1646C492-39E3-4BD9-B19C-A401D3416616.jpeg

3CD44EAD-9072-4A2F-8AE9-6D0D6FEFCBE4.jpeg

08F53390-C869-4B2E-88E7-EB4A49AFDD61.jpeg

51C3DCE2-5570-4040-8233-F946B52F41C1.jpeg

F1A51253-5682-4B3C-8B35-C2F6C960DF0C.jpeg

3DA89980-B87C-479C-BB7D-DFB702E29421.jpeg

B017314C-6109-4EE8-827B-5E2238FF2F11.jpeg

2FC1D474-078F-40B7-9FBB-F5D264164619.jpeg

9FF3F3F7-E870-4D84-A11C-7F41FA1C9B8B.jpeg

Correct me if I'm wrong but a lot of this seems to be from another phase and not connected to blocks 17-20 (except for the first one)?

2 hours ago, vdogg said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but a lot of this seems to be from another phase and not connected to blocks 17-20 (except for the first one)?

I'm likely not as up to date on all of the block details as are you, and I didn't listen to the entire presentation. However, the presenters made clear that these renders were not representative of the entire TG development...and specifically, not inclusive of the final phases. So, I would assume all of this would be part of the early phase build-out.  What do you think about the design? I'll add some more overhead perspectives. Maybe that will help you  (and myself)  with the block orientation.  

I have updated my original post to include the city planning workshop video. 

Edited by baobabs727

It's not even as dense as Ghent is though. It's more like an expanded version of that area of Granby with 201 Twenty One, The Element, and The Alexander, except now with more surface lots. I'm okay with a 4/5 story urban neighborhood, but make it urban gosh dangit!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

Perhaps this will help, VDOGG.

Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (11).png

Screenshot (12).png

Screenshot (13).png

Screenshot (14).png

Screenshot (15).png

That does help. Blocks 9 and 16 are for a later phase, and likely won't start until completion of 17-20. I'm liking the density, but this 2-5 story crap is depressing. At this point I'd be ecstatic to see a midrise thrown in here or there.

Blocks 17-20 are the blocks immediately adjacent to the bus station.

• Like 1

All hope is not lost. From watching the meeting blocks 7a/7b have been set aside as higher density, higher intensity commercial opportunities. They appear to be leaving that open for office and/or mixed use.

BCB35EB0-4759-45B6-A335-B7491D0BB311.jpeg

And now you have some idiot on the planning commission asking for detached single family home opportunities. This isn’t Virginia Beach… <_<

• Like 1

That makes sense. I remember going to one of the meetings at the Catholic church and seeing a vague mention of higher density on that side of SPQ. Glad to see they’re sticking to that plan. 

• Like 1