St. Paul's Quadrant (Phase 1-Under Construction)

Aughie

The rendering look nice enough.  My Dad's Dental Practice use to be in 555 Fenchurch St. and I grew up as a member of St. John's AME Church Bute St.   I always hated the vast parking lot for Downtown Plaza and I love seeing new housing much of it affordable being built where the shopping center with the wasteland of a parking lot use to be.  As far as height I'm ok with 4 story buildings in the location where they will be built, but it would be nice to have increasingly taller buildings the closer you get to Main and St. Paul's.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, BFG said:

They’ve started tearing down the original office building. 

BAED78E1-6CE7-427D-9810-16E7A99F448E.jpeg

its just amazing how they just tear stuff down as opposed to other cities. They find zero value in keeping any of these structures, not even just for historical reasons. I realize this building has zero historical value, but things get tore down quickly around there.

• Like 2

That blew my mind too. The building was only about 35 years old; given Norfolk's recent obsession with turning old offices into apartments, I'm a bit surprised they didn't try to repurpose the building somehow.

8 minutes ago, BFG said:

That blew my mind too. The building was only about 35 years old; given Norfolk's recent obsession with turning old offices into apartments, I'm a bit surprised they didn't try to repurpose the building somehow.

At 35 years old it probably doesn’t qualify for historic tax credits like many of the other buildings that have been repurposed. Without those, it’s almost certainly cheaper to tear down and build new. 

Norfolk is the only city that I know of that tears down buildings that are only a few decades old.  This building housed black professionals like the one that was torn down right across the street.  My late Father's dental practice use to stand across Bute Street from this building.  555 Fenchurch St. stood for only 38 years when it was torn down in 2002.  

• Like 3

I know we have talked about this before in the past but really quick, what do we think this mindset really is?

I personally think its "visual fatigue". The council/city/supporters are just soooooooooooooooo tired of seeing things there that the mindset of ANYTHING would be better if someone is willing to bankroll it. I've always said this plan was bad, unworthy,  and a terrible way to use that land. Everything just seem so parsed right? No clear direction other than "NEW"....

Edited by brikkman
  • Like 1

I think it's that and also an issue of "just good enough". That's the area's biggest problem: accepting the status quo. Every so often we'll get something like The Main, and someone will call it a "game-changer". Meanwhile cities like Charlotte probably build something like that every year.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Norf Native said:

Anyone know anything about this?  This is on the ARB agenda for discussion 6 Dec.

968.png

I wonder if that's a typo and should be 698 instead of 968, which would be the parking lot across the street from Scope. That lot would make more sense given what has been built already in this project. I'm also not sure that they have even gotten to Young Terrace yet in the demolition process which would be necessary to build at 968 St Pauls.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BeagleAccountant said:

I wonder if that's a typo and should be 698 instead of 968, which would be the parking lot across the street from Scope. That lot would make more sense given what has been built already in this project. I'm also not sure that they have even gotten to Young Terrace yet in the demolition process which would be necessary to build at 968 St Pauls.

I don't have any details, but I'm guessing a 3-story 'highrise' with contemporary design...

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/norfolk/lawsuit-aiming-to-halt-norfolks-public-housing-redevelopment-dismissed/ Lawsuit got dismissed. Comes as a big relief as The City aims to improve downtown life and atmosphere in the St Puals quadrant.  

Construction in moving fast in Norfolk again! In the next few months expect cranes up near and in downtown as replacement units start to get built and Gravity 400 finally gets started image.thumb.png.e35d049fdf95fe8d0ca206f62eee4e07.png

Edited by mintscraft56
  • Like 4

I’m excited to finally see progress in SPQ— but these pictures illustrate why I always get so frustrated when people  say NFK doesn’t have enough developable land/ room to grow 

we now literally have acres upon acres to develop in SPQ and honestly there’s still decent room for infill in downtown proper which sort of has town feeling a bit desolate/ in transition 

now that the SPQ redevelopment is taking shape, it already feels like the city is planning for a glorified housing project filled with low income housing tax credit 2-3 story apartments with very limited retail/ commercial activity. I will wait to pass judgment while we see more proposals and construction ramps up— but for now, I am concerned we will waste this opportunity to really create something dynamic in NFK and until the perception of SPQ changes and can attract market-level investment and diverse populations, it will still be that sketch neighborhood adjacent to downtown with no urbanity or character or uniqueness about it—

that land looks ripe for large-scale, mixed-use, development— if only we had the market dynamics to support such projects in SPQ… until then, we’ll keep taking baby steps 

It has been stated many times that the type of development you are wanting in SPQ is precluded due to the nature of the development. The Federal Government granted  millions of dollars to the city to pay for planning and demolition. The city agreed to follow guidelines in order to secure those funds. This land, although becoming vacant must be developed in accordance to the guidelines.

• Like 2