St. Paul's Quadrant (Phase 2-Under Construction)

Aughie

19 hours ago, BFG said:

I really want to get an urban/DC vibe from this, but they really need retail to make that happen IMO. Definitely need a grocery store of some sort.

Retail will follow the people. Need the demographics to prove it's a good risk and would imagine it will follow the re-development.

Take ODU for an example. It took three massive apartment (2 completed, 1 planned) complexes being developed, not to mention all the apartment redevelopment in Highland Park, before they had a committed grocer to agree to build on campus. And that has been one of their goals for 20 years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
45 minutes ago, EJ_LEWIS said:

The replacement for Tidewater Gardens looks like it may have a bigger presence then the renderings depicted.  

Seems like it. Thing on paper either tend to let us down, or bring us up in Norfolk......never a exact expectation. 
Seems good though!

• Like 2

I am well acquainted with the Fenchurch St. area.  My father's dental practice was at the corner of Bute and Fenchurch St. and our church St. John's AME Church is on Bute St.   I walked around that area last summer and the changes happening are amazing.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, mintscraft56 said:

Sky view map of the project is kind of underwhelming. Whats with the surface parking behind the buildings??

Tidewater-Gardens-Choice-Neighborhoods-Initiative-Master-Plan-Image

I think the idea is that from street view, you want to see the buildings and storefronts, not a large parking lot. 

Looking at the post office site, that's a huge plot of land. Wonder if they're considering putting an arena there?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Norf Native said:

The video mentions two buildings starting this week.  Which blocks are they?

I believe it’s 17 & 18 but addresses are stated in the flyer below. It’s the site immediately south of the transit center. 
image.thumb.png.c22dead9626b3e5a398bc27e0b73a90b.png

Edited by HRVA
  • Like 3

“There will be a McDonald’s within the building on the first floor,” said Executive Director Jay Grant. “There will be several other small business opportunities and community spaces there in addition to a business incubator center.”

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/norfolk/groundbreaking-underway-for-unity-place-norfolks-new-apartments-in-st-pauls-area/

• Like 3

9 hours ago, varider said:

“There will be a McDonald’s within the building on the first floor,” said Executive Director Jay Grant. “There will be several other small business opportunities and community spaces there in addition to a business incubator center.”

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/norfolk/groundbreaking-underway-for-unity-place-norfolks-new-apartments-in-st-pauls-area/

I dont eat mcdonalds much but downtown proper really needs one. Downtown McDonalds seem to always have a crowd inside. Cheap, good tasting food alternatives for downtown are always a need for those on a rush, especially if your doing business down here.

• Like 2