St. Paul's Quadrant (Phase 2-Under Construction)

Aughie

I think that they need to spend the money on teaching people how to get into those places on their own. Giving people a place with less effort than a normal middle class does not help them but hurts them. I grew up poor and had to fight my way up with hardly help at all. I think first they need to fix the broken system. People in general don't take care of something they didn't have to earn. Its also not fair to people that are at that line to not get help but have to scramble and don't get the same opportunity to live in those places. Its almost rewarding someone for not trying. There is so many programs helping people to get on their feet but most don't want to utilize them. I've seen people that want to get out, get out. Alot of bums are there because they want to live like that, the other are mentally ill and its not their fault. People in general are lazy and don't want to work for what they want. They want it given to us for nothing. Us Americans need to change this attitude in our society. People that are on welfare should be forced to work for the city or state that they live in and have limited time that they are allowed to be on this. I'm not saying that all people are like this. Some have no choice and I have no problem helping people that are disabled and physically can't take care of themselves. I think if they are going to allow people from the section 8, there should be a list of things for them to qualify to live in that location and needs to be monitored. They must learn to own the unit and take care of it properly. They should have no criminal background that is violent. I don't have a problem helping with someone out but they should have a certain time frame to get off of the welfare program. If they fail they need to move out of there.

I couldn't agree with you more. Great idea's and poor support for them. I read an article last year when they were reporting on tidewater gardens and one person mentioned that they have lived there for 62 years (that should not happen).

I couldn't agree with you more. Great idea's and poor support for them. I read an article last year when they were reporting on tidewater gardens and one person mentioned that they have lived there for 62 years (that should not happen).

but if there is now outside movement to help people out of low income housing, of course they are going to stay there. And I dont mean just government footing the bill. Higher wages also helps with this. A control in the housing market would help. Aids to help more first time buyers. Programs that is put in place to assist people with low income. Tax breaks and stimulus checks for the lower incomes. Things to give them a boost is needed. Complaining doesnt make the problem go away.

People who have lived in housing like this for that long stay there because that is all the help they get. The cost of living keeps rising and Virginia lives by federal minimum wage and does little to help the workers in the state. There are much bigger problems in that state besides someone staying in low income housing for long periods of time.

I dropped by City Center in Newport News today and was very impressed. The project is a mix of office, hotel, shopping, and residential properties. All surrounding a stunning circular fountain big enough for a major league sports arena. It seems to me something like this would be ideal for St. Paul's, albeit on a bigger scale. There are high rises, an upscale Marriott, and very cools shops and restaurants. Below are a few pics to give you an idea in case you've not seen it.

P1000839.jpg

P1000840.jpg

P1000838.jpg

P1000837.jpg

P1000843.jpg

P1000844.jpg

P1000842.jpg

Edited by Sky06

City Center never really grew on me. It's too office park like, I don't really see it fitting in downtown. We need something that's a little more organic. A grid street pattern tying the area in with the rest of downtown is a must. I also picture development being far more dense than whats' pictured. This needs to be an expansion of downtown, not it's own separate section. I fear that we'll box ourselves in otherwise.

I agree with Vdogg on this one. I would much prefer that Norfolk make it a grid area that fits as seamlessly as possible with the rest of downtown. I agree that it is critical that this area be seen as just an extension of downtown rather than a suburban faux downtown project seperate from the rest of downtown.

but if there is now outside movement to help people out of low income housing, of course they are going to stay there. And I dont mean just government footing the bill. Higher wages also helps with this. A control in the housing market would help. Aids to help more first time buyers. Programs that is put in place to assist people with low income. Tax breaks and stimulus checks for the lower incomes. Things to give them a boost is needed. Complaining doesnt make the problem go away.

People who have lived in housing like this for that long stay there because that is all the help they get. The cost of living keeps rising and Virginia lives by federal minimum wage and does little to help the workers in the state. There are much bigger problems in that state besides someone staying in low income housing for long periods of time.

And I guess that's my point, do we want to just dedicate that area to public housing? Why can't it be relocated so that the city center can motivate and radiate throughout the rest of the city. If the economic center can't grow how to we expect the rest of the city to grow?

And I guess that's my point, do we want to just dedicate that area to public housing? Why can't it be relocated so that the city center can motivate and radiate throughout the rest of the city. If the economic center can't grow how to we expect the rest of the city to grow?

I agree...while there is a need for affordable and low income housing...that area shouldn't be dedicated for that. Downtown could be extended with all that land. It would be smart if the city work on growing that area, especially with all the investment they already put into downtown. And I am not talking about just having condos. We need more entertainment venues, better paying jobs, etc. More projects similiar to Wachovia Center would be great..as well as a new Kirn Memorial Library, etc. Also thinking outside the box (unique projects and venues..especiallys something that HR and VA doesn't have) would definitely help Norfolk live up to its potential. Public housing in that area would not increase revenues, grow downtown and could cause problems due to the crime and reputation of the projects. I am for affordable housing and low income housing totally...but that is not the area for it because it is too close to downtown and could possibly deter people from coming down there...and alot of people in other areas of HR have told me that this was a concern when going to downtown for shows, restaurants, the mall, dealing with parking, etc.

Currently this is a ghetto park. They do not need the whole neighborhood for low income housing. When you create a mix of incomes in housing, you have to allow for a percentage to be low income housing and below market rate housing. This can be integrated into a downtown grid very easily. I think you are thinking that I am saying the whole area should still be low income, which is wrong. The people there should not be pushed into other low income neighborhoods. This one should just work better as a whole for all incomes.

This district should be an extension of downtown, thus a need for a grid to connect it to the rest of downtown. It shouldnt be designed to be all for office or housing. For low income housing to work, it needs to be apart of all incomes, when they are forced into controlled districts, you have what is there now.

If this is truly mixed income then it will only help the economic center. It would put more people who want the "downtown" feel right where they want to be and don't have the $350K price tag to go with it. This could grab citizens from NN, VB, and Ches., perhaps further that haven't found a place they like for the money or location. If this thing sticks I may consider taking a moderately priced unit.

In the next few years I'm banking on the downtown lifestyle to make a comeback and in turn businesses will have to consider moving back to the core from the suburbia's.

The beauty of development is that it's an evolving creature without science. Just because we're talking "low", "mixed", "ghetto parks" doesn't mean they will stick. If the implementation is there this area could see a huge resurgence.

• 4 weeks later...

Housing Authority says slow down!

Here comes the watering down! <_<

I'm already preparing myself for disappointment. The minute I read "recreation center", horrible images of the suburbs flashed in my head. Rec centers take up a lot of land, which does NOT = best use. I'd rather see more open green space than another brick box looking YMCA. Norfolk is also going to have a very difficult time convincing business owners to set up shop there if they plan to replace all the subsidized units. I don't know why Norfolk keeps touting Broad Creek as a success when its clear that many of the for market units are still unsold.

I'm already preparing myself for disappointment. The minute I read "recreation center", horrible images of the suburbs flashed in my head. Rec centers take up a lot of land, which does NOT = best use. I'd rather see more open green space than another brick box looking YMCA. Norfolk is also going to have a very difficult time convincing business owners to set up shop there if they plan to replace all the subsidized units. I don't know why Norfolk keeps touting Broad Creek as a success when its clear that many of the for market units are still unsold.

Yeh, but it's not "Norfolk" (i.e., City Council) that's doing this. It's NRHA. Do they have authority to slow this down just because they "own" this?

Told you so!!!

But I didn't want to be right. I am not shocked at this at all. Someone feels that relocating or uprooting the people of that community is a bigger blow to the city than revitalizing that area for the good of the city and area. That

Edited by Sky06

• 5 months later...

a nice little bump for this topic. This was made last month, should give you guys a timeline of sorts as well as some ideas of what to look forward to. Which alot of the recent Tidewater Garden talk should be moved this way.

december report

I know it's pointless to really discuss renderings, but if some of those concepts are truly adapted when this project moves forward, the that area will turn into a really special place.

Renderings are renderings, but I do like what I see. I'm especially fond of that large retention pond.

I know it's pointless to really discuss renderings, but if some of those concepts are truly adapted when this project moves forward, the that area will turn into a really special place.

Renderings are renderings, but I do like what I see. I'm especially fond of that large retention pond.

If they go through with this, they are going have a lot of pissed middle class people.

I mean, really.

If they go through with this, they are going have a lot of pissed middle class people.

I mean, really.

Care to elaborate on that one? Usually it is just the lower class that gets upset because they are the ones being displaced in the process.

Yeah, it is just renderings, but the plus side of it is that they are some good forward thinking renderings. Plus the most important image is the new grid that would be implicated. So regardless of how this all plays out, the reestablishing of the grid will be key.