St. Paul's Quadrant (Phase 2-Under Construction)

Aughie

But why dump millions into this land to make it look like a city park...it's not? Only for developer(s) to come along and rip it apart for high-rises. Like I said, clean it up so the developer(s) have a clean slate and hold their feet to the fire with the citys vision. While we wait and the grass starts growing people can walk their dogs, play frisbee and take selfies until the earth movers arrive. Then Norfolk can work with the developer to incorporate green space into the construction design.  

I do agree, a river walk connecting Harbor Park to Waterside and FN is a very good plan. That doesn't have to happen now though...let's get some big developers on the hook first. There's zero tax revenue coming in on a walking path and big azz park...just sayin.     

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vdogg said:

It's like Norfolk is constantly trying to become Virginia Beach at the same time Virginia Beach is constantly trying to become Norfolk. Just be yourselves, lol.

Or (wait for it) become one jurisdiction and offer the best of both worlds...

• Like 1

Part of that becoming a Greenway inland was always going to happen, its just a question of how much. That area has a high risk for flooding as well as sea level rise. Im pretty sure that area use to be an old Creek back in the day that was filled it. 

I really don't like the idea of park space next to the interstate, too noisy. They really need to start evaluating alternatives for the the interstate redesign. 

Edited by Up2313

The sky is falling! Run for the hills! This Seal Level Rise Coastal Flooding Land Subsidence Resiliency Resilience Officer/Grand Pubah-Czarina will surely have her way here (read her warning in the article), and so the whole area will eventually be relegated to green-space, exclusively. When Harbor Park reaches the end of her functional life, she will be razed and moved to higher ground...like Suffolk!  

Watch as fear spreads like a cancer  aided by official city govt policy & surrounding land values plummet as they have been doing in residential waterfront and water-adjacent Downtown & the Hague! The tax base will shrink, nowhere to expand, people move out, taxes go up, vicious cycle leads to a reckoning for Norfolk that makes  Mother Nature's wrath look like child's play! Yay!

I don't understand the hate for this proposal. Every SPQ proposal had a green space that looks essentially like this. Even in the images SPQ is gridded up nicely. 

If you want high rise buildings, you need to limit developable land to the point it makes sense to build up. This takes up a huge chunk of land with a beautiful green space. 

This vision has a ton of advantages.

• Like 2

Am I the only one on this entire board that suspects that all the "kinda urban" development or the lack thereof is actually deliberate?

Like...I believe the city officials know that urban growth leads to hope and individualism and considering how many military installations are in the area and the idea that many of the people in the area serve the armed forces in some way, I would think the last thing any community in the 7 cities would want to do is encourage individualism.  The military is all about being agreeable and basically, soldiers.  Ever think about how personal capitalism would go against that in their eyes??? 

Seriously!  No one else thinks it's suspicious how bad so many of the decisions are?????????

I can't be the only one who sees this

On the other hand....

https://www.alexmarshall.org/2007/09/24/urban-renewal-in-norfolk/

Edited by Diego Maradona
  • Like 1

The urban renewal and Princess Anne/Norfolk County becoming cities will always be the greatest what-ifs for this region. I'd love to see the alternate Tidewater where 1) Norfolk doesn't become so bulldozer happy, tearing down slums but renovating older buildings on Main and Granby, and 2) parts of the two former counties (let's say half of each) eventually become part of Norfolk.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

It could be good news but when reading the article the city could be charged a few arms and legs to get it. Now I'm all for Norfolk acquiring this parcel but it needs to be reasonably done so. Besides there's no way the USPS needs the same sized facility given they only process incoming mail now.

Edited by Urbanlooker

5 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

Arena site.

The more I think about it, the more I like this idea. It’s off a major road, close to the Interstate, has enough land for the building and at least one garage, and the Scope wouldn’t lose business during the construction phase. It would be the perfect major project to officially kickoff the SPQ revitalization. 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 6:44 PM, vdogg said:

Pretty odd location for that type of development. Hope it’s successful and perhaps spurs some more urban development on that side of the bridge.

It would be cool for Norfolk to plan a new light rail line that ran over the river into Berkley to help spur urban development through that neighborhood and it would be easy to run through South Norfolk and into Chesapeake. Really, any city around Norfolk should be trying to get on board with light rail even if Virginia Beach doesn't want to. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

First Presbyterian Church is hosting a forum about gentrification concerns. The pastor of that church raises interesting points within the article, and I like the idea of having a forum to maintain transparency.

https://www.pilotonline.com/news/norfolk/vp-nw-norfolk-gentrifying-forum-20190821-x4yic3rujvdbxkvymb276pivjm-story.html

• 2 months later...

I'm watching last night's Work Session meeting on Youtube, and they're talking a lot about SPQ, primarily Blocks 19 and 20, which are along St. Paul's Blvd. and Wood Street, behind the fire station and bus transfer station.

From what I understand, according to a SPQ rep, the plan is to have more higher-density near Fenchurch and St. Paul, with a mix of residential, commercial, and community amenities. The Tidewater Gardens side would feature more lower-density. It's a lot to take in, but the SPQ portion starts at the 31 minute mark. The presentation outlining the two blocks is about 47 minutes in, and I included a few screenshots. This goes before the Planning Commission on November 14.

City Manager Chip Filer talks (59 minutes) about other cities that implemented similar programs, specifically Atlanta's East Lake and Columbus's Pact/East Side. Nothing is set in stone, but the common thing I'm seeing is mid-rise, 4-6 story buildings. Not the density we want, but still a decent enough presence from 264, esp. if they add a few towers closer to St. Paul's Blvd. Hopefully, Fort Norfolk can pick up the height.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lowk6LVUkP4

Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 1.02.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 1.08.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 1.08.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 1.08.29 AM.png

• Like 1