St. Paul's Quadrant (Phase 2-Under Construction)

Aughie

• 2 months later...

The wording on this article is weird. But if I am reading it correctly, Phase 1 (the first of four) of the move-outs from Tidewater Gardens was supposed to be completed last summer. Apparently, due to bureaucracy, 3/4 of phase 1 are still full. They are expecting phase 1 to take several more months.

https://www.pilotonline.com/government/virginia/vp-nw-fzx19-norfolk-st-paul-update-usi-20191231-jcvd2ov4i5gcbf3ekfvinekbvq-story.html

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the concerns, I do. I’m black, I get it. Racial segregation is a real concern, and concentrating poverty in other areas is not optimal. That WILL need to be addressed. But this particular plan has been talked about for 20 years. It’s been debated and redebated and signed and resigned and cancelled and resurrected. Eventually you just have to start DOING things and let the chips fall where they may. The time to file the lawsuit was 20 years ago, not when you’re halfway into the move. Don’t try and block change for the hell of it, this ship has sailed.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

On the agenda for the May 28th planning commission meeting are the vacation of multiple right of ways that are deemed necessary for the redevelopment of St. Pauls. It's good to see some forward movement on this project in this weird time of life in Norfolk.

http://norfolkcityva.iqm2.com/citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=1339&Inline=True

2020-04-29 (3).png

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BeagleAccountant said:

On the agenda for the May 28th planning commission meeting are the vacation of multiple right of ways that are deemed necessary for the redevelopment of St. Pauls. It's good to see some forward movement on this project in this weird time of life in Norfolk.

http://norfolkcityva.iqm2.com/citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=1339&Inline=True

2020-04-29 (3).png

It's hard to tell what's happening here, especially since north is to the right instead of the normal orientation with north pointing up.  Comparing this map with Google Maps, it looks like they are re-creating more of an orthogonal grid.  Freemason Street will extend to the east across St. Paul's Blvd, and Church street will be extended to the south, ending at St. Mary's Basilica, which is almost all the way to the ramp from the Berkeley Bridge. 

• Like 2

Relocation of residents and demolition are being delayed after a legal agreement with residents and advocates sparked by coronavirus. Residents can still work with the city on moving out but they won't be required to be a part of that process until October 19th at the earliest.

https://www.pilotonline.com/government/local/vp-nw-coronavirus-norfolk-st-pauls-delay-20200505-ry5lpemqvjexdkqabalwfr64xe-story.html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

So, I just moved to Richmond. I want to compare Broad Street and Brambleton. I think activating Brambleton is key to the St. Paul's redevelopment. It basically functions now as a funnel to 264 and the tunnels and bridges, but like much of downtown has virtually no commercial/retail activity. Brambleton could be the spine of an enlarged downtown for sure, especially if BRT is built in to the St. Paul's redevelopment, and it is rezoned for dense mixed use mid rise development along the corridor. There's plenty of space for stations and plenty of job centers, entertainment venues, and institutions to string together. You can still have people use it to get to the highways but redesign it for people that actually live downtown or want to get downtown without a car as well. 

Edited by Norfolk757Kid
  • Like 1

I think redeveloping NEON into an extension of downtown is important, esp. if they were to build a pedestrian bridge at say, Granby and Brambleton. I know the proposed Granby Tower corner belongs to the government, but that’s really begging to become a mixed-use space, preferably a tower. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 9:44 AM, Norfolk757Kid said:

So, I just moved to Richmond. I want to compare Broad Street and Brambleton. I think activating Brambleton is key to the St. Paul's redevelopment. It basically functions now as a funnel to 264 and the tunnels and bridges, but like much of downtown has virtually no commercial/retail activity. Brambleton could be the spine of an enlarged downtown for sure, especially if BRT is built in to the St. Paul's redevelopment, and it is rezoned for dense mixed use mid rise development along the corridor. There's plenty of space for stations and plenty of job centers, entertainment venues, and institutions to string together. You can still have people use it to get to the highways but redesign it for people that actually live downtown or want to get downtown without a car as well. 

Brambleton would make for a great highrise mixed use corridor.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NFKjeff said:

I believe you are correct. AH had a short-lived proposal to build a tower in the neighborhood of 32 floors. I believe this predated the current World Trade Center, and that was the name floated for the project, IIRC. This was also before Divaris had started to build in Town Center.

Hoffler tower was actually not associated with AH, it was a Miami developer that proposed that. Prior to this, there were 2 33-story towers proposed for where McDonald's and the bus station sit now. That was pre McArthur Center. Not sure why that died.

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2020 at 9:16 AM, vdogg said:

Hoffler tower was actually not associated with AH, it was a Miami developer that proposed that. Prior to this, there were 2 33-story towers proposed for where McDonald's and the bus station sit now. That was pre McArthur Center. Not sure why that died.

That makes sense. As soon as I saw that picture I thought it looked very Miami.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, BeagleAccountant said:

The gas station that was between the McDonald’s and the bus station on St Paul’s has been demolished. Anyone know what’s planned for that lot?

The city owns all that property clear to the Popeyes and back to where the old triangle shopping Center was to the rear. I’m hoping they’ll tear it all down, but will probably leave the Popeyes because it’s new-ish. The McDonald’s needs to go or needs to be re-built/renovated. That gas station was a breeding ground for bad “deals” and violence

18 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

The city owns all that property clear to the Popeyes and back to where the old triangle shopping Center was to the rear. I’m hoping they’ll tear it all down, but will probably leave the Popeyes because it’s new-ish. The McDonald’s needs to go or needs to be re-built/renovated. That gas station was a breeding ground for bad “deals” and violence

Yeah, that gas station was tough. If they managed to clear all three, we could see a great rebirth of that entire block in short order.

Edited by BeagleAccountant
  • Like 1

I’m getting DC and NYC vibes from this. One thing downtown Norfolk lacks is more street level retail incorporated into the apartment buildings, so I love that, along with stuff for local artists.

Page 87 mentions a proposed McDonald’s, something I figured would happen with future development. 

• Like 1