St. Paul's Quadrant (Phase 2-Under Construction)

Aughie

If you told me that I was looking at public housing behind a small residential development in downtown Franklin I would believe it. I've never understood why the city built that stuff in the cbd right beside a regional mall.

I agree. The "lofts" aren't too bad. They're four-story, flat-roofed buildings that look like they fit in an urban neighborhood. Although I never noticed the rear outdoor corridors before. Is that the primary access?

The "houses," on the other hand, look like total misfits. I just hope they turn into slums real fast so we can wipe it clean and start over again.

I agree. The "lofts" aren't too bad. They're four-story, flat-roofed buildings that look like they fit in an urban neighborhood. Although I never noticed the rear outdoor corridors before. Is that the primary access?

The "houses," on the other hand, look like total misfits. I just hope they turn into slums real fast so we can wipe it clean and start over again.

I'm glad someone agrees with me. I've thought this all along with the "houses" or flats as they actually are. They look horrible! I think there are four units per "house". Anyway, this is another great example of Norfolk wanting to "re-create" the past. They wanted structures there to replicate the old housing which use to line that particular corridor. Do people not see that architects tend to do a horrible job of replicating the past. We're not talking about restoring a historic single family here, they built an entire "subdivision" of this principle and it looks horrible! And I'll bet anything that the subsidized housing they build across St Pauls in the St Paul quadrant looks just like it! If we're gonna have subsidized housing there, they can at least come up with progressive designs. The West coast does an amazing job of building low income housing which has architectual significance!

Edited by vtfan18

I'm not sure how you define "primary access". There is an official entrance in the middle on the front side of each building. The rear access complements the parking in the rear.

Don't hold your breath on the houses turning into slums. What a strange wish! Have you ever walked up and down Freemason St. I think they fit in pretty well with what was already on Freemason. It's just a small little niche project and Norfolk will survive just fine with them.

I'm glad someone agrees with me. I've thought this all along with the "houses" or flats as they actually are. They look horrible! I think there are four units per "house". Anyway, this is another great example of Norfolk wanting to "re-create" the past. They wanted structures there to replicate the old housing which use to line that particular corridor. Do people not see that architects tend to do a horrible job of replicating the past. We're not talking about restoring a historic single family here, they built an entire "subdivision" of this principle and it looks horrible! And I'll bet anything that the subsidized housing they build across St Pauls in the St Paul quadrant looks just like it! If we're gonna have subsidized housing there, they can at least come up with progressive designs. The West coast does an amazing job of building low income housing which has architectual significance!

I'll take that bet!

okay, now those are better shots of the project. The Rotunda looks cool in the background like that.

I really do like this development for the simple fact that those old houses no longer look out of place. For that reason alone I like the project.

And just to check, it is those loft buildings that run along St Paul Blvd, right?

Yes, thost brick buildings are the lofts along St. Pauls. But, the house aren't old. The houses (flats) were built along with the lofts.

oh no, I was referring to those couple old historic houses that were there before this project. They seem to no longer feel out of place next to the mall garage. Its new neighboring houses help them fir back in with the area, so that is cool.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The January 2007 Planning Update Newsletter has just come out and is linked on this site. I don't see mention of any specific times/dates for teh next meetings or any other opportunities for input, so we shall have to wait for that.

http://www.norfolk.gov/Planning/SaintPaulsQuadrant.asp

Does anyone know when the draft strategic plan is due? I read spring, but that's all I've found.

I'm worried that all we will see is another "broad creek" type development! I really hope not. I have a feeling most of us will be disappointed with the plan.

Some information I got in an email a while back considering the quadrant:

"First of all, single family detached housing will most likely not be a

part of the plan, though there may be some townhomes. The overarching

concept is to create an vision of a mixed income, mixed use neighborhood

so there should be a range of housing types and prices. Also, we have

asked the consultant to take a look at the opportunity for big boxes

that would fit in an urban context. Note however that is will all be a

vision for the area and not a blueprint."

I gotta support the idea of increasing downtown land to the fullest. It should be based on a grid system that works with the rest of downtown and is a mix of what downtown is. Housing, office, retail. There should be a reason to draw people into the area to work and shop as well as be willing to live there. Plus it should be the staple of mixed incomes for the region.

Since the main library will almost certainly be meeting the wrecking ball when the light rail comes through, it might be an option to place a civic building (new library) on the west end of St. Pauls Quadrant to initiate the expansion of downtown into this area.

oh that would be a good idea and a much more ideal location for it rather than having it on the other side of Brambleton. Then they would need to get a world renowned arechitect or something to design it and make it a centerpiece to the new neighborhood. See this whole development could be amazing for Norfolk and take it into this new century, but to make that happen, they will have to take the right steps for it.

oh that would be a good idea and a much more ideal location for it rather than having it on the other side of Brambleton. Then they would need to get a world renowned arechitect or something to design it and make it a centerpiece to the new neighborhood. See this whole development could be amazing for Norfolk and take it into this new century, but to make that happen, they will have to take the right steps for it.

Be bold, Norfolk.

Since the main library will almost certainly be meeting the wrecking ball when the light rail comes through, it might be an option to place a civic building (new library) on the west end of St. Pauls Quadrant to initiate the expansion of downtown into this area.

I think the Library in that location is an excellent idea. I will draw more foot traffic across St. Paul

Chesapeake Pirate is right about making an effort to get involved in the planning process, though it would be nice if city officials visited this site. :)

I believe that growth north of Brambleton will naturally occur once the Granby Tower is up. To me, aside from a lack of parking, the Greyhound location is not big enough to 'do it right' in terms of building a new library - especially if you want to throw in a few seemingly normal urban perks - like a shady plaza dropped back from the street, or a fountain, or even a little green space. Something to be proud of when your friends come to town for a visit. Plus, having a main entrance/book dropoff area on a side street which connects to a main artery like St. Pauls Blvd would be safer and more attractive to pedestrians/new urban mixed use residents on that side of the street.