SBC is America's 10th most dangerous metro!

bigboyz05

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, the good thing is, this is taking into consideration Shreveport and other small, poverty-stricken towns like Hosston, Vivian, Mansfield, etc. Bossier City has one of the lowest crime rates in Louisiana and all of the south, so you'll not see that city on the list. But taking away the small towns with relatively high crime rates, Shreveport itself comes in at position #51... which really isn't as bad as I would have thought.

I really wish Caddo and Bossier Parishes could be listed separately, but I know that's just not possible when you're totalling the metro area.

This isn't anything new. By dangerous, I assume they're measuring the number of violent crimes per capita. I find these statistics often misleading. I think New Orleans, DC, Detroit, and LA often top the most dangerous cities list also. I take the subway here everyday and walk around downtown LA/Hollywood at night everyday (work and the gym)- I've never once felt threatened or uncomfortable. The high-crime areas that give these cities a bad reputation are usually isolated. And who knows, the difference from # 10 on the list and #30 could be as little as 3-5 murders in one year. Too bad all the nice areas of these cities have to suffer as well.

This isn't anything new. By dangerous, I assume they're measuring the number of violent crimes per capita. I find these statistics often misleading. I think New Orleans, DC, Detroit, and LA often top the most dangerous cities list also. I take the subway here everyday and walk around downtown LA/Hollywood at night everyday (work and the gym)- I've never once felt threatened or uncomfortable. The high-crime areas that give these cities a bad reputation are usually isolated. And who knows, the difference from # 10 on the list and #30 could be as little as 3-5 murders in one year. Too bad all the nice areas of these cities have to suffer as well.

I grew up in Mansfield La... very very very bad place... I was a scared white kid all through school! fights everyday... in jr high people had pit bull fights right outside the windows of the school! Mansfield has a wal mart.. I've never seen a wal mart with so many cameras lol it looks like fort knox! tv's up and down multiple aisles in the store!

anyways.. yeah i think mansfield hurts the area big time!

That's the key: staying out of the bad areas. Unfortunately I work in a bad part of Shreveport but I deal with it. I've never had any problems in 7 years now. One of my friends from out of town is always telling his wife, "no way, I don't want you going out in this city by yourself! Are you crazy? Do you watch the news!?" :lol: They live within 75 miles so they get our TV news, and to be honest it looks REALLY bad to them. They see the murders, shootings, nightly robberies, etc and they end up very afraid of Shreveport.

I was taking pictures today on the street behind the El dorado parking garage and was approached by I dunno a scary looking individual.. he was yelling and cussing and said don't run he wasnt going to hurt me.. EHHHH I was scared I had an expensive camera around my neck. He caught up to me, thankfully a security guard from El Dorado pulled up in a golf cart and started yelling at him and threatning him.. I thought they were about to fight! Man was I glad to see him!!!! I think that guy might have saved me.. anyways.. that deters me from downtown :angry:

I know, man, it's crazy. I love downtown but I've had more than one run-in with undesirables on downtown streets like that. So you were on Commerce Street? That's the area I was in when I had my FIRST run-in with a crazy person down there. I was in the parking lot between the big "Red River District" mural and the Texas Street Bridge. I'm glad we can safely walk around the Boardwalk in Bossier, though, and at least shoot pictures of downtown Shreveport from across the water.

I've wondered all this time how you've kept from having problems. The other night when I was in the Sci-Port parking lot, I had my back turned to Clyde Fant when I turned around and saw a thug make eye contact with me. He crossed the street and headed toward me, so I pulled my camera off the tripod and was about to use the tripod as a weapon. Once he saw me preparing to do that, he turned and walked back the other way. If he'd had a gun he wouldn't have retreated so easily. Right after that I packed everything up and went home, knowing that even in a lit parking lot with other cars all around me I wasn't safe.

Archived