Rock Hill is changing - for the better?

teshadoh

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know it's just another suburban-style box, but I'm glad Walgreens is coming to this side of town. After having worked at the one on Cherry and Oakland, I know how much they need this. Dave Lyle could use one as well.

Not sure if this has been posted, as I am new to the site, Wild Wing Cafe is also looking at sites in Rock Hill, as well as downtown and the old Manchester Tavern in the Village. I also heard rumors of Gap and Old Navy on Dave Lyle in the past couple of weeks.

If Wild Wings would locate downtown, that would be a HUGE boost for Rock Hill's mostly dead downtown. Wild Wings always brings the crowds, a great energy, loads of young people (and all ages), which then creates a vibrant scene with more businesses opening nearby to tap into the crowds, until it becomes more of an entertainment destination. Let's hope this will happen, versus a suburban location.

I think downtown is doing better vs. 5 years ago. There are always people walking around going to eat at the Bistro, Mchales, Thai's on main, etc. There are alot more options downtown now. Also there is another new bar called the "Vault" opening in Sept. It is underground bar in a super building and located in an old bank vault with the big huge door. It is really neat. I believe there are 2 or 3 more restaurants in the works as we speak as well (locally owned, no chains). I would not say downtown is dead at all. 5 years ago I would have, but things are beginning to take off in Rock Hill's downtown. Plus all the buildings that have been re-done, it looks really great downtown and there is alot more coming.

What building is "The Vault" going to be in? I heard another bar was going to open soon downtown, maybe across from that hole in the wall McHales. Man, is that place a tight fit, Rock Hill needs to get 2 or 3 good bars downtown to help bring more people there. As close as Winthrop is to it, there is no excuse for only 1 downtown bar.

Welcome to the forum, kyley5!

The new downtown bar is probably related to the old downtown bank building being restored, which I mentioned in this post.

Wild Wings would be perfect for downtown. And although downtown Rock Hill has been seeing some progress, I would also say that it's somewhat dead.

I'm curious, since the Charlotte Knights will be moving to Uptown Charlotte in a couple of years, does anyone know what will become of the Knights Castle stadium?

I've thought that since the Knights are essentially the "York coutny" Knights, perhaps Rock Hill could support a lower division than AAA minor league team, perhaps single A. I had the pleasure of attending a Knights game tonight. I'm sure there were probably about 4,000 folks there, but the larger stadium swallowed up the crowd. Good game though...

I'm curious, since the Charlotte Knights will be moving to Uptown Charlotte in a couple of years, does anyone know what will become of the Knights Castle stadium?

I've thought that since the Knights are essentially the "York coutny" Knights, perhaps Rock Hill could support a lower division than AAA minor league team, perhaps single A. I had the pleasure of attending a Knights game tonight. I'm sure there were probably about 4,000 folks there, but the larger stadium swallowed up the crowd. Good game though...

I've thought that since the Knights are essentially the "York coutny" Knights, perhaps Rock Hill could support a lower division than AAA minor league team, perhaps single A.

Well, it's a bit large for anything but a AAA team. So I'm not sure what its uses could be for. I guess a park/ recreational facility, minus much of the stands could work. I've noticed there are a lot of signs of housing developments and business parks around the area. And the old Hornets practice facility is next door as well. A creative developer could find a lot of uses for that property. I hope its more than just raze the place and put a strip shopping center there.

I was really thinking that since the Knights are essentially the York County Knights, that the area has proven, by having about 4,000 fans per game, that it can host a Single A team, that a single A ball park closer to Rock Hill's downtown, or the I 77 & Dave Lyle area could make a nice spot for a ballpark.

Lot of options, really with two different possibilities: present Knights area and/ or a new place for a lower division team.

Here are a few articles about the market in Rock Hill..

Rock Hill-area housing market enjoys gains while rest of state sees declines, stagnation...

http://www.heraldonline.com/front/story/78394.html

It's a good time to be in Rock Hill real estate.

With 345 homes sales last month, the border city near Charlotte and nearby locales in the Piedmont region jumped 85 percent compared to a year before, according to the South Carolina Association of Realtors.

http://www.charleston.net/news/2007/apr/23...home_sales_dip/

"Sales inland are doing just fine with many double-digit increases - and booming in Rock Hill with a 66 percent increase in the first quarter."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_km44...05/ai_n19106192

Archived