Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TampaTKE

Bay Area Governor

15 posts in this topic

Since the Tampa Bay Area will have representation in the Governor's Mansion with either Jim Davis (Tampa) or Charlie Crist (St. Petersburg) do you think that the Greater Bay Area will reap some benefits? Perhaps we'll ahve a better chance to get funding for new projects like roads or a Commuter Rail System similar to the deal that Jeb helped push for O-Town?

Since the Tampa Bay Area will have representation in the Governor's Mansion with either Jim Davis (Tampa) or Charlie Crist (St. Petersburg) do you think that the Greater Bay Area will reap some benefits? Perhaps we'll ahve a better chance to get funding for new projects like roads or a Commuter Rail System similar to the deal that Jeb helped push for O-Town?

Actually, the Reform candidate, Max Linn, is from St. Pete; so all of the serious candidates are from the area. I think that is could be a hlep for sure; hey it could not hurt it anyway!

Steve

Yes, I definetly think it won't hurt. I'm sure Jeb helped his area in South Florida with his clout.

Yes, I definetly think it won't hurt. I'm sure Jeb helped his area in South Florida with his clout.

Has the Tampa area seen any special treatment with the new Governor in office?

Not yet. The only things that have impacted the area to a noticable degree would be the Gov. backing the Rays new stadium and the Seminole Indian Compact for expanded gaming - neither of which are actually building/running yet....so we shall see!

Steve

Not yet. The only things that have impacted the area to a noticable degree would be the Gov. backing the Rays new stadium and the Seminole Indian Compact for expanded gaming - neither of which are actually building/running yet....so we shall see!

Steve

Good point about the state not giving money; but, unlike the Marlins, the Rays are not looking to get state money, their plan mostly involves the sale of the Trop, and tax benefits for 30ish years. To me that is a better plan than state money, though, it is still flawed.

Steve

Good point about the state not giving money; but, unlike the Marlins, the Rays are not looking to get state money, their plan mostly involves the sale of the Trop, and tax benefits for 30ish years. To me that is a better plan than state money, though, it is still flawed.

Steve

The main flaws with the financing plan is that though it is just tax benefits....it is still money out of the pockets of the people in St. Pete/Pinellas. Money now or money over 30 years is still money. Other issues involve parking...there is very little in that area of town, and unlike large cities with transit, it is not easy to get there without a car, or park further away and ride in. Overall I would love to see a new stadium, but I would love even more to see a winning team on the field. I am a big Rays fan, but we need a team that can win. They are getting better, and with the new pitching we should see marked improvement, but only time will tell.

Steve

So you're saying now is not the right time to pursue this baseball stadium deal. Just out of curiosity does Crispy still lease his place in that Tampa area?