Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

krazeeboi

Columbia making gains in cutting crime

61 posts in this topic

Columbia posted the ninth best crime rate improvement among 371 cities between 2004 and 2005. Columbia ranked as the 77th most dangerous city of the 371 examined by the Morgan Quitno Press

I've always heard that Sumter leads the nation in murders per capita, but I've never seen facts to back that up. I suspect an urban legend, although there are an awful lot of killings there.

I'm glad to see Columbia improving.

I've always heard that Sumter leads the nation in murders per capita, but I've never seen facts to back that up. I suspect an urban legend, although there are an awful lot of killings there.

I'm glad to see Columbia improving.

Mayor Bob Coble said the other night on the news that so far in 2006 there had been only 3 murders in the city limits. Unfortunately, it looks like now there have been 6. WIS News and The State have breaking news on their websites saying Columbia police have discovered 3 bodies in a ditch and suspect they are victims of a triple homicide last night.

Wow, that's surprising.... The media left me with the impression things had gotten out of control w/ gangs and other challanges Columbia faces. As a matter of fact didn't someone find 3 people dead this morning stuffed in a drain??? And another two people shot dead on Broad River by a drive by saturday??? I don't know if I should believe the FBI ratings or the State Newspaper.

Mayor Bob Coble said the other night on the news that so far in 2006 there had been only 3 murders in the city limits. Unfortunately, it looks like now there have been 6. WIS News and The State have breaking news on their websites saying Columbia police have discovered 3 bodies in a ditch and suspect they are victims of a triple homicide last night.

The Broad River double murder was not in the city limits.

^Didn't the CPD respond to the Broad River location?

^ You're right. I searched The State and it looks like RCPD took the call.

I've always thought that was part of Columbia...

^ You're right. I searched The State and it looks like RCPD took the call.

I've always thought that was part of Columbia...

If they extended the city's boundaries, yes, more murders would be included in the city's murder stats, but the added population would keep the murder rate constant at worst, unless they annexed only areas that have higher violent crime rates. If they annexed without regard to which areas were better or worse crime-wise, then the percentage ought to stay about the same. Cities' crime rankings are based not on the number violent crimes, but on a per capita basis; that is, on one's chances of being a victim out of every 100,000.

Cities' crime rankings are based not on the number violent crimes, but on a per capita basis; that is, on one's chances of being a victim out of every 100,000.

As a city they weren't listed, but I do think they were listed as a metro area.

As a city they weren't listed, but I do think they were listed as a metro area.

I wonder where do the city limits stop on Broad River Rd?

They wasn't listed at all as a metro or city. North Charleston, Charleston and Columbia were listed out of 395 cities.

They wasn't listed at all as a metro or city. North Charleston, Charleston and Columbia were listed out of 395 cities.

OMG everyone. Columbia is on CNN website and Yahoo for the thriple homicide yesterday. And Columbia was on CNN news last night. How terrible.. We don't want that kind of recognitionYahoo and

As a metro area, Columbia was #78 and Greenville was #80. Charleston-North Charleston was # 20 -something. The State had a blurb that listed the metro areas of SC. Florence, for instance, was #5. Myrtle Beach was way up there, too, as was Sumter.

That is bad news, but what can you do. They have arrested 2 men so hopefully justice will be served.

At least we're not in the news for a man raping his own mother, yikes.

Corgi, N. Charleston was rated 20th most dangerous city and Charleston was rated around 274, I believe. The #20 ranking was not the MSA ranking, though the north city's score increases the Chas MSA ranking. However, the Chas MSA did not make the top 25 most dangerous; Florence, MB, Charlotte, and Sumter MSAs did. Which is phenomenal...most people think of smaller cities as safer. Apparently, the exception to this rule is in SC.

Corgi, N. Charleston was rated 20th most dangerous city and Charleston was rated around 274, I believe. The #20 ranking was not the MSA ranking, though the north city's score increases the Chas MSA ranking. However, the Chas MSA did not make the top 25 most dangerous; Florence, MB, Charlotte, and Sumter MSAs did. Which is phenomenal...most people think of smaller cities as safer. Apparently, the exception to this rule is in SC.

Also, don't forget that the list itself was from the safest to the most dangerous. Columbia's number was higher than Charleston's on that list. But turn the list around and Columbia was #77 and Charleston was #132 for 2005.

Since I'm not technologically advanced enough to link it to this forum

Charleston was rated #132. N. Charleston was rated #19 or 20. Yesterday or day before The State had an article that talked about Columbia's progress in cutting crime. They had a blurb beside the article that ranked SC metros for violent crime. Charleston-North Charleston was listed as #20-something. After this year's stats are caculated for next year's list, I suspect Charleston will be in a worse spot on the list.

Apparently, Columbia's progress is short-lived, as the area has seen a total of nine murders in the past seven days, including a second triple homicide.

What the hell is going on???