Columbia making gains in cutting crime

krazeeboi

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mayor Bob Coble said the other night on the news that so far in 2006 there had been only 3 murders in the city limits. Unfortunately, it looks like now there have been 6. WIS News and The State have breaking news on their websites saying Columbia police have discovered 3 bodies in a ditch and suspect they are victims of a triple homicide last night.

Wow, that's surprising.... The media left me with the impression things had gotten out of control w/ gangs and other challanges Columbia faces. As a matter of fact didn't someone find 3 people dead this morning stuffed in a drain??? And another two people shot dead on Broad River by a drive by saturday??? I don't know if I should believe the FBI ratings or the State Newspaper.

Mayor Bob Coble said the other night on the news that so far in 2006 there had been only 3 murders in the city limits. Unfortunately, it looks like now there have been 6. WIS News and The State have breaking news on their websites saying Columbia police have discovered 3 bodies in a ditch and suspect they are victims of a triple homicide last night.

The Broad River double murder was not in the city limits.

If they extended the city's boundaries, yes, more murders would be included in the city's murder stats, but the added population would keep the murder rate constant at worst, unless they annexed only areas that have higher violent crime rates. If they annexed without regard to which areas were better or worse crime-wise, then the percentage ought to stay about the same. Cities' crime rankings are based not on the number violent crimes, but on a per capita basis; that is, on one's chances of being a victim out of every 100,000.

Corgi, N. Charleston was rated 20th most dangerous city and Charleston was rated around 274, I believe. The #20 ranking was not the MSA ranking, though the north city's score increases the Chas MSA ranking. However, the Chas MSA did not make the top 25 most dangerous; Florence, MB, Charlotte, and Sumter MSAs did. Which is phenomenal...most people think of smaller cities as safer. Apparently, the exception to this rule is in SC.

Corgi, N. Charleston was rated 20th most dangerous city and Charleston was rated around 274, I believe. The #20 ranking was not the MSA ranking, though the north city's score increases the Chas MSA ranking. However, the Chas MSA did not make the top 25 most dangerous; Florence, MB, Charlotte, and Sumter MSAs did. Which is phenomenal...most people think of smaller cities as safer. Apparently, the exception to this rule is in SC.

Charleston was rated #132. N. Charleston was rated #19 or 20. Yesterday or day before The State had an article that talked about Columbia's progress in cutting crime. They had a blurb beside the article that ranked SC metros for violent crime. Charleston-North Charleston was listed as #20-something. After this year's stats are caculated for next year's list, I suspect Charleston will be in a worse spot on the list.

Archived