Columbia making gains in cutting crime

krazeeboi

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But thank goodness that before the triple murder in the city limits, Columbia had had only 3 prior murders in 2006, that according to Bob Coble in a news conference the other day. Unless things get really crazy, we should still be well below the 15 murders of 2005 and the 15 of 2004. I think the county's number of murders overall is still below last year's as well. One is too many, but a skyrocketing murder rate for the world to see on the next list would make it that much worse.

I'm sorry, I stand corrected. I used this link to find the Top 25 MSA's...it appears that the Chas-N.Chas MSA was indeed 25th most dangerous. Leave it to the north city to make the whole are look bad. Damnit, that just sucks. Maybe now, Chas won't merge with the north city since that would make it look more dangerous!

I know...while N. Chas is basically the crime center of the metro, Chas has now enough stats to show that it is part of the problem as well. This could affect the economic standing in the city. It has so much momentum, but enough news of escalating crime will take away all that the city has gained.

I will say this, 2006 has been a very good year for Cola in terms of its crime rate. However, Richland County needs to step up, especially with the armed robberies occurring just down the street from my house at the Publix shopping center and VAS's JCPenney.

True. Consolidation in SC is extremely difficult. I think Richland may have already tried it, but I'm not sure. I know that there have been three counties have have made an effort to consolidate or at least talk about it since UP has been around, and so far two of them have been successful (Cherokee, Union), and the third will likely fail (Spartanburg) because its next to imposible to accomplish.

Interesting article in today's edition of The State speaks of the unusually high amount of homicides in the area:

I guess this is one of the very few positives of SC's restrictive annexation laws; had the laws been more liberal, probably just about all of these homicides would have occurred within city limits.

• 1 month later...

Archived