River Market Tower/Place

skirby

I was taking pictures today and I went by to take a shot of where the new MT development will be. The block contains the Tuf-Nut Lofts and some men were putting up a sign.

Third and Rock.

dscf3413uk1.jpg

First view of the River Market Tower.

dscf3424qy5.jpg

dscf3423zt1.jpg

What do you think? It looks like this project will contain two buildings. Anyway I went across the river while the sign was being completed.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's 19 stories, all but the ground floor are condos.

If you look at the flash on the website there's a map. One of the lower rise buildings is a hotel, presumably the Hilton Garden Inn.

The other is the existing Tuf-Nut Lofts, called "The Shops at Tuf-Nut". Are the lofts being converted to retail?

On top? Haha. Yeah that's a bit dangerous.

I guess this will be good urban infill. Less parking lots.

Speaking of MT, I was look at pictures of 300 third on their website. I'm not sure this building will age well. It looks like one of those buildings that seem in style at one point but not 15-20 years down the road. I could be wrong....

I was taking pictures today and I went by to take a shot of where the new MT development will be. The block contains the Tuf-Nut Lofts and some men were putting up a sign.

Third and Rock.

What do you think? It looks like this project will contain two buildings. Anyway I went across the river while the sign was being completed.

Idea: Great

Execution: Yuck

This doesn't look like an AMR project. 300 Third has it all over this. This looks like some sort of First Security rehash, and no offense to our fine friends at WD&D - who were victims of a developers lack of vision - but that's not a compliment.

Idea: Great

Execution: Yuck

This doesn't look like an AMR project. 300 Third has it all over this. This looks like some sort of First Security rehash, and no offense to our fine friends at WD&D - who were victims of a developers lack of vision - but that's not a compliment.

Interesting. I'm not a big fan of 300 Third and thought it didn't fit the area nearly as well as the building they tore down to build it. This project seems to be a hybrid between the red brick warehouses and a modern design that I thought would work really well, especially incorporating it into one development with Tuf-Nut. This building utilizes ground level retail and creates a pedestrian-friendly streetscape much better than 300 Third in my opinion.

Then again, I'm no architect.

Interesting. I'm not a big fan of 300 Third and thought it didn't fit the area nearly as well as the building they tore down to build it. This project seems to be a hybrid between the red brick warehouses and a modern design that I thought would work really well, especially incorporating it into one development with Tuf-Nut. This building utilizes ground level retail and creates a pedestrian-friendly streetscape much better than 300 Third in my opinion.

Then again, I'm no architect.

Aporkalypse - you are certainly entitled to your opinion, as this is mine. But - if I may borrow from my own post on 300 Third - it is a modern, sophisticated tower that creates a healthy juxtaposition with the surrounding context - very well executed. To me (and many others) it looks great. It says "Hey, I was actually built in 2007!" and doesn't make any apology to it, which is how it should be. You don't have to resort to knee-jerk, knock-off "traditional" cliches, which never live up to the spirit of the original craftsmanship anyway. Textbook example - First Security Center.

My first reaction to the Rivermarket Tower is that it is quite bland - as is its name. I hope its just a poor rendering, and that the actual design proves a little more sophisticated - and I have hopes that it will (it could be that the materials match 300 Third - the rendering technique is altogether different though, which makes me question if this is an AMR project).

I shouldn't give full judgement off of one drawing. However, the original 300 Third rendering had a tremendous "wow" factor that this does not. It really does look like an "uh-oh" child of Capital Commerce (shape) and First Security (exterior materials/aesthetics). I guess I was also expecting it to be measurably taller than 19 stories, but it is by no means insignificant.

However, I do agree that the pedestrian scale, mixed-use planning of that whole block for Rivermarket Tower is a plus. This is a good thing. I like the fact that it fills the block, reinforcing the urban edge - with retail no less!

I posted the link on the Arkansas Times blog after another reader mentioned the project yesterday.

I know about 4 or 5 of us here read the blog...so I'm assuming either Apork, skirby, or some other UP member first informed the Arkansas Times.

Not to mention...this is just a major project for LR in general...

Information has been released about the project. The cost will be $80 million and include a 19 story tower and a 8 story hotel. The tower will contain 152 condominiums and the hotel will have 120 rooms. Also retail space will be in the Tuf-Nut Lofts building as well as the ground floor of the tower.

I posted the link on the Arkansas Times blog after another reader mentioned the project yesterday.

I know about 4 or 5 of us here read the blog...so I'm assuming either Apork, skirby, or some other UP member first informed the Arkansas Times.

Not to mention...this is just a major project for LR in general...

I e-mailed Max Brantley about it.

The hotel will be an 8-story Hampton Inn and Suites and will open by Summer '08.

I e-mailed Max Brantley about it.

The hotel will be an 8-story Hampton Inn and Suites and will open by Summer '08.

I was hoping that it was going to be a Hilton Garden Inn, but I know Hilton is putting many Hampton Inn and Suites in downtown areas. I haven't been in the one in WLR, but my wife has and she says that it is very nice. I'm sure this one will be also.

I'm glad that MT is redeveloping the whole block. Placing retail in the Tuf Nut building will save that building that has been a part of LR for years. In fact my mother used to work at Tuf Nut way back in the day. I read that they were going to put a grocery store in there.

I was hoping that it was going to be a Hilton Garden Inn, but I know Hilton is putting many Hampton Inn and Suites in downtown areas. I haven't been in the one in WLR, but my wife has and she says that it is very nice. I'm sure this one will be also.

I'm glad that MT is redeveloping the whole block. Placing retail in the Tuf Nut building will save that building that has been a part of LR for years. In fact my mother used to work at Tuf Nut way back in the day. I read that they were going to put a grocery store in there.

Hamptons are a slight step up the ladder from the Garden Inns in the Hilton hierarchy, it's an improvement.

Hey "The Man" - are you going to update/post this on the "Little Rock Development" thread at Skyscraper Page?

I haven't updated anything on that site in a while. I've actually stopped going to that forum b/c if you are not from Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville or somewhere in Alabama, you really don't get a lot of interest or discussion about your topics. That's why I like posting here because everyone has an interest in what's going on in Little Rock.

Hamptons are a slight step up the ladder from the Garden Inns in the Hilton hierarchy, it's an improvement.

I thought they were on the same level. No big deal. As I stated earlier, I'm sure that it will be nice.

It's too bad the hotel won't open until the summer of '08. It would've been nice to have those rooms for the NCAA Tournament in March of that year.

What changes will we see take place downtown because of the increased population. (I'm not even sure how many units are located downtown any more, but I think I remember hearing that MT wanted to build another 700. Could be wrong about that number though)

• 2 months later...

Archived