River Market Tower/Place

skirby

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So does anyone know the what the height of the new tower will be? With 20 stories its definitely going to change the skyline up a bit. The One Union Plaza is 21 stories so I see the River Market Tower being about the same height considering the higher ceilings.

So does anyone know the what the height of the new tower will be? With 20 stories its definitely going to change the skyline up a bit. The One Union Plaza is 21 stories so I see the River Market Tower being about the same height considering the higher ceilings.

Based on other things I've read here RMT will be 20 stories. These condo towers tend to not have as much height per floor as office towers so I doubt it will look as big as One Union Plaza. Look at 300 Third's 19 stories and you'll see what I mean.

I still think it's kind of neat how Arkansas' developing a second skyline in the River Market, smaller but sleeker and more modern. The tallest building in that area used to be the Fones Warehouse at 6 stories (now the library).

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, as Aporkalypse stated, the floor-to-floor height differential between a tenant office building and a residential structure (hotel or condos) is significant, likely comparing 15' office to 10' residential. In other words, an office buildilng with a stated number of floors will be approximatley 50% taller than a residential structure with the same number. In short (no pun intended!), River Market Place will be nowhere near as tall as Union Plaza.

And I also echo Aporkalypse's observation about the "new" River Market skyline. It is now very noticable and will only become moreso....beautiful scale. I would say its skyline alone is second in the state only to LR's CBD (which will never be rivaled).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was afraid that there was going to be a generic Hampton Inn in downtown Little Rock, but Arkansas Business says it will be upscale, similar to the one in Peabody Place in Memphis:

MEMPBHX_Hampton_Inn_Suites_Memphis_Peabody_Place_home_left.jpg

I've seen some nice ones in downtowns that don't fit the mild of the generic freeway-side office park or airport contingent we normally think of for Hampton Inns. I stayed in a very nice mid-rise renovated Hampton in Ft Lauderdale that was nicer than all but a handful of hotels in Arkansas. Hopefully this will be as nice. A new construction 8-story building would make you guess it would.

I was afraid that there was going to be a generic Hampton Inn in downtown Little Rock, but Arkansas Business says it will be upscale, similar to the one in Peabody Place in Memphis:

MEMPBHX_Hampton_Inn_Suites_Memphis_Peabody_Place_home_left.jpg

I stayed in that very hotel in Memphis on business about 2 months ago....I was impressed - it is quite nice and right across from Peabody Place (which I was told is struggling). Truth be told, I've never been impressed with Memphis, but I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of "activity" i.e. people/pedestrian traffic downtown in the evenings, even during the week. This alone is very valuable in building a vibrant 24-hour downtown, and they are well on their way.

I stayed in that very hotel in Memphis on business about 2 months ago....I was impressed - it is quite nice and right across from Peabody Place (which I was told is struggling). Truth be told, I've never been impressed with Memphis, but I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of "activity" i.e. people/pedestrian traffic downtown in the evenings, even during the week. This alone is very valuable in building a vibrant 24-hour downtown, and they are well on their way.

Peabody Place is struggling. They have lost several retailers recently. They are looking at revitalizing it. There has been talk of bringing in a gocery store to Peabody Place.

It's good that this Hampton Inn will be an upscale version. It will compliment the nearby Courtyard Marriott

Peabody Place is struggling. They have lost several retailers recently. They are looking at revitalizing it. There has been talk of bringing in a gocery store to Peabody Place.

It's good that this Hampton Inn will be an upscale version. It will compliment the nearby Courtyard Marriott

I cannot BELIEVE that the movie theater is still open. It is huge (18 screens?) - the four of us who went to a show were the ONLY people we saw in the entire place, save for the one soul staffing the concession stand.

I cannot BELIEVE that the movie theater is still open. It is huge (18 screens?) - the four of us who went to a show were the ONLY people we saw in the entire place, save for the one soul staffing the concession stand.

Yeah. I guess they kind of overestimated how many people would come downtown to watch a movie. Did you go through the week or on the weekend? If it was the weekend they need to close the place.

It opened with 22 screens and they have reduced that number due to lack of demand.

How's that iPhone treating you Arc?

Its an amazing device - truly something to behold once you've had a chance to interact with one. There certainly have been few, if any devices that marry design, technology, and execution in such a seamless and intuitive way. This is the future of 'mobile' technology. And yes, I typed this on its 'virtual' keyboard!

Were there long lines for the IPhone? I saw a few news reports in South Florida showing people camping out to be the first ones in.

By the time the store opened, there were about 30 people in line..the first 4-5 camped out the night before. I was number 9. We were told they only had about 50-60 phones, and I read online today that basically AT&T sold out of the entire allotment nationwide last night. Send me a Personal Message if you want to discuss further.

Anyway...back on topic: my impressions about the River Market Tower indicate that this will be a lesser-cost design as compared to 300 Third. Its not surprising since this is much larger and the unit costs must be lower to cater to a broader market.

Archived