River Market Tower/Place

skirby

Its an amazing device - truly something to behold once you've had a chance to interact with one. There certainly have been few, if any devices that marry design, technology, and execution in such a seamless and intuitive way. This is the future of 'mobile' technology. And yes, I typed this on its 'virtual' keyboard!

It does seem to be an awesome phone...too bad you have to suffer AT&T GSM service to have it.

It even runs on AT&T's slow internet service.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peabody Place is struggling. They have lost several retailers recently. They are looking at revitalizing it. There has been talk of bringing in a gocery store to Peabody Place.

It's good that this Hampton Inn will be an upscale version. It will compliment the nearby Courtyard Marriott

Revitalizing it? Man, wasn't it built just a few years ago. That's ominous.

Revitalizing it? Man, wasn't it built just a few years ago. That's ominous.

From here... http://www.belz.com/shopping/peabodyplace.aspx

"At the heart of it all is Peabody Place Entertainment and Retail Center. The Center, completed in fall 2001, was designed to be reminiscent of a town square, which was rediscovered, refurbished and topped with the largest skylight in Tennessee to create an enclosed town square. At night, the lighting systems create the atmosphere that the Center really is outdoors, with abundant sidewalk cafes and other seating."

Every afternoon, I go by the parking lot where the River Market Tower is scheduled to rise. For the last several weeks, that parking lot has been full of cars, despite the excavation for the Hampton Inn and Suites, immediately to the east. This afternoon, however, the lot was completely empty and some perimeter fencing appeared to be in place. Might ground-breaking for the tower be close at hand?

If so, I

Every afternoon, I go by the parking lot where the River Market Tower is scheduled to rise. For the last several weeks, that parking lot has been full of cars, despite the excavation for the Hampton Inn and Suites, immediately to the east. This afternoon, however, the lot was completely empty and some perimeter fencing appeared to be in place. Might ground-breaking for the tower be close at hand?

If so, I

If you look at the floorplans, it's unit #2 that has been bought on each of the floors. Just a particularly nice number? None of the other units have been sold.

Geez, imagine owning several consecutive floors........ that would be a hassle.

If you look at the floorplans, it's unit #2 that has been bought on each of the floors. Just a particularly nice number? None of the other units have been sold.

I think this is an investor...

Anyone who wants one of these units has to go to one person.. a micro-monopoly. Probably negotiated a pretty good deal for the mass purchase because it allowed the construction to begin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The website now shows that 17 of the units have been sold. These include other units besides those listed as unit #2. Floor 15 shows 4 units sold. There are also some nice shots of what the views will be on the website.

• 2 weeks later...

Its an amazing device - truly something to behold once you've had a chance to interact with one. There certainly have been few, if any devices that marry design, technology, and execution in such a seamless and intuitive way. This is the future of 'mobile' technology. And yes, I typed this on its 'virtual' keyboard!

iPhone price drops by $200. Seems a bit hasty on Apple's part.

iPhone price drops by $200. Seems a bit hasty on Apple's part.

I thought so too until I considered what was really going on:

1 - Apple just released the new iPod (touch) that basically has every feature of the iPhone except the phone feature at $299 (16GB), which is the price range where the iPod must play. As such, the market wouldn't support paying an extra $300 for essentially just the GSM "phone" feature. So the solution is to reduce the 16GB model down to $399 - just $100 above the equivalent iPod. They'll OWN this market at this price point, AND....

2 - ...its also quite likely that the move downward of the 2.5G/16GB model is - by plan - making room for the soon to be announced higher capacity 3G ultra iPhone at the prior $599 price point (this will likely be the planned European model).

3 - The iPhone is on target to meet or exceed Apple's sales target of over 1M in its first quarter at its original $499/$599 price, so I seriously doubt that the price reduction was due to missed expectations.

4 - Finally, its virtually certain that all of this is by design.

Long and short, they won't be able to make these fast enough....

I thought so too until I considered what was really going on:

1 - Apple just released the new iPod (touch) that basically has every feature of the iPhone except the phone feature at $299 (16GB), which is the price range where the iPod must play. As such, the market wouldn't support paying an extra $300 for essentially just the GSM "phone" feature. So the solution is to reduce the 16GB model down to $399 - just $100 above the equivalent iPod. They'll OWN this market at this price point, AND....

2 - ...its also quite likely that the move downward of the 2.5G/16GB model is - by plan - making room for the soon to be announced higher capacity 3G ultra iPhone at the prior $599 price point (this will likely be the planned European model).

3 - The iPhone is on target to meet or exceed Apple's sales target of over 1M in its first quarter at its original $499/$599 price, so I seriously doubt that the price reduction was due to missed expectations.

4 - Finally, its virtually certain that all of this is by design.

Long and short, they won't be able to make these fast enough....

I'd like to see it when it's fully tuned with GPS/NAV as a standard part of the product. Seems like you can get some add-ons now, but I assume that the goal is to have it all in the base package.

I'd like to see it when it's fully tuned with GPS/NAV as a standard part of the product. Seems like you can get some add-ons now, but I assume that the goal is to have it all in the base package.

No kidding...that's the ONE hardware aspect that obviously can't be upgraded. In fact, having come from a 3G phone to the iPhone's 2.5G "Edge" service, I don't find that its that much of a penalty - I'd rather have the GPS radio than a 3G cellular chipset. I'm sure both will be provided in upcoming iterations.

• 2 weeks later...

The tower crain is going up...

When I walked by the site, late this afternoon, I saw only two mobile cranes. The taller of the two is being used to construct the Hampton, while the shorter one is assisting with the foundation work on the actual RMT site. Both cranes have been there for at least two weeks. In fact, if you look at the construction update page on the RMT website, you

When I walked by the site, late this afternoon, I saw only two mobile cranes. The taller of the two is being used to construct the Hampton, while the shorter one is assisting with the foundation work on the actual RMT site. Both cranes have been there for at least two weeks. In fact, if you look at the construction update page on the RMT website, you

It is hard to see from ground level, but if you are driving up the I-30 ramp you can see it. They have already poured the foundation for it and the red and white base is sticking up about 15-20 feet.

Cool. It will be a pretty tall crane for the 20 story building. Its nice to always have a tower crane present in the skyline. Lots of cities would hope to have as much...

Archived