River Market Tower/Place

skirby

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing to see how progressive ya'lls downtown is. It seems like there are new buildings everywhere. :thumbsup:

Thanks dan326. I understand BR is growing tremendously, and you guys have us beat on new retail and TND development...seems like we should swap tips!

Thanks dan326. I understand BR is growing tremendously, and you guys have us beat on new retail and TND development...seems like we should swap tips!

Sometimes I wonder why Baton Rouge is able to get stuff we only dream about in Little Rock. The metros are definately in the same tier. I do think the one area where Little Rock shines is its downtown.

p1020811gw4.jpg

This image is my favorite...showing the extent and scale of the Rivermarket District, which is quite impressive. The electric streetcar adds an extra sense of the significant urbanity of downtown.

Oh, and I like the hotel....its a solid design appropriate for the district.

This image is my favorite...showing the extent and scale of the Rivermarket District, which is quite impressive. The electric streetcar adds an extra sense of the significant urbanity of downtown.

Oh, and I like the hotel....its a solid design appropriate for the district.

I wondered how you felt about the design of the hotel. I didn't like it when I saw the renderings, but now that the exterior is nearly complete it is growing on me.

I wondered how you felt about the design of the hotel. I didn't like it when I saw the renderings, but now that the exterior is nearly complete it is growing on me.

I think it looks pretty nice...I really like it. Its appropriate in scale, proportion and materials to that district. And its exterior finish is brick, which is more than you can say about most new hotels these days it seems1 :blush:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The scale and density of the River Market really is something to behold, especially considering the size of the market. The River Market skyline literally embarrasses any similar developments in Memphis, Tulsa, OKC, etc. and many other larger markets. Thanks for capturing its growth for us skirby!

The scale and density of the River Market really is something to behold, especially considering the size of the market. The River Market skyline literally embarrasses any similar developments in Memphis, Tulsa, OKC, etc. and many other larger markets. Thanks for capturing its growth for us skirby!

I am hoping eventually we get more infill to tie the River Market skyline and the CBD together.

• 3 weeks later...

We have glass. Windows are now being installed on some sections of the tower.

By my count of the sold condos listed on the website, only 22% of the homes have been sold. They may not be updating the site as often as they should, but I understand from a friend of mine in the commercial real estate business that sales are excrutiatingly slow. The loft style residences on the lower floors look to be especially neglected by home buyers.

We have glass. Windows are now being installed on some sections of the tower.

By my count of the sold condos listed on the website, only 22% of the homes have been sold. They may not be updating the site as often as they should, but I understand from a friend of mine in the commercial real estate business that sales are excrutiatingly slow. The loft style residences on the lower floors look to be especially neglected by home buyers.

As much as I like seeing this kind of density built, Arkansas is not the place this type of living is easily sold. People here love suburban living, their car-dependent lifestyles, and everything that goes with it. People who could afford one of these condos are FAR more likely to get a McMansion in Maumelle or Chenal. In my opinion they should have went with apartments and targeted the young professional demographic who might be more inclined to want to live downtown, although in Arkansas, the 20-something demographic is just as suburban minded as the older demographic.

As much as I like seeing this kind of density built, Arkansas is not the place this type of living is easily sold. People here love suburban living, their car-dependent lifestyles, and everything that goes with it. People who could afford one of these condos are FAR more likely to get a McMansion in Maumelle or Chenal. In my opinion they should have went with apartments and targeted the young professional demographic who might be more inclined to want to live downtown, although in Arkansas, the 20-something demographic is just as suburban minded as the older demographic.

I would have to agree with the local/southern "suburban" sentiment (I don't think this is unique to this market), but we certainly cannot fault, and in fact we should PRAISE the vision and I'd say phenomenal success of these progressive projects in downtown Little Rock...they literally shame many other cities in our region. Furthermore, the more proliferate these become, the more they become a part of the collective consciousness and become accepted as a normative residential/lifestyle option.

But to the point, I would suggest that any sluggishness with the River Market Tower is primarily due to the economy/housing market, and much less of a reflection on this housing type.

I would have to agree with the local/southern "suburban" sentiment (I don't think this is unique to this market), but we certainly cannot fault, and in fact we should PRAISE the vision and I'd say phenomenal success of these progressive projects in downtown Little Rock...they literally shame many other cities in our region. Furthermore, the more proliferate these become, the more they become a part of the collective consciousness and become accepted as a normative residential/lifestyle option.

But to the point, I would suggest that any sluggishness with the River Market Tower is primarily due to the economy/housing market, and much less of a reflection on this housing type.

I agree, though we may be nearing saturation for now. The market has soaked up a lot of new condo units downtown the last few years.

I think a transition to apartments might be more successful.

I agree, though we may be nearing saturation for now. The market has soaked up a lot of new condo units downtown the last few years.

I think a transition to apartments might be more successful.

I agree...I wasn't speaking to "condos" specifically but high-rise/high-density urban residential in general. Saturation may very well be approaching with ownership, at least for the near term.

I don't know if I can totally agree with you. Sure the sales have slowed down but they have also slowed down in the burbs. LR does not offer much of a choice in the downtown area for those looking for a place to live. There are very few apartments and none of them are new except for The Enclave in NLR. It will be interesting to see how well the Vertical Lofts (location?) and the CityGrove Townhomes do to see how much interest there is in living downtown.

• 1 month later...

Archived