Richland County is an aberration in South Carolina

waccamatt

Regardless of your politics, I think you will find Richland County's political situation to be interesting and totally different than the rest of South Carolina. I was helping my mom complete her absentee ballot for next Tuesday and I noticed something really interesting when looking at the candidates. Every single candidate for a Richland County office was an incumbent Democrat running with NO opposition. Richland County has long been the lone urban Democratic stronghold in South Carolina, but I find this development to be quite amazing in a state that is decidedly red. Personally, it illustrates a big reason that I choose to live here, but I think it is quite an interesting situation given the nature of most of the state.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is surprising - I would still think there are several moderate if not conservative areas in Richland County. The northern suburbs at least...

Out of curiosity, what would Forest Acres fall under? Is that area the high income white liberal section of Columbia's metro? For whatever reason - most metros have some area that is predominately wealthy but also on the liberal side of the political spectrum.

Richland County has long been the lone urban Democratic stronghold in South Carolina, but I find this development to be quite amazing in a state that is decidedly red. Personally, it illustrates a big reason that I choose to live here, but I think it is quite an interesting situation given the nature of most of the state.

That is surprising - I would still think there are several moderate if not conservative areas in Richland County. The northern suburbs at least...

Out of curiosity, what would Forest Acres fall under? Is that area the high income white liberal section of Columbia's metro? For whatever reason - most metros have some area that is predominately wealthy but also on the liberal side of the political spectrum.

I do love Columbia because of this, not to mention other things. A mid-size, liberal city in the middle of a red state. I feel like you can be yourself and walk around the city without being judged, of course there are plenty that do, but for the most part, this is a fairly tolerant city. :good:

Charleston is nice and somewhat liberal, but too toristy for me. I do love it's proximity to the ocean.

Greenville is too conservative.

I do love Columbia because of this, not to mention other things. A mid-size, liberal city in the middle of a red state. I feel like you can be yourself and walk around the city without being judged, of course there are plenty that do, but for the most part, this is a fairly tolerant city. :good:

Columbia is basically a island by itself compared to the rest of the state. I wish the city of Columbia had the choice to remove the confederate flag. Then we might could host a NCAA tournamet to get more exposure. Too bad Columbia is too liberal for the rest of the state.....

Wow, I did not know that. Well, the obvious outcome was that it didn't work, but what was the actual verdict? The flag really only makes Columbia look bad. Visitors don't see it in other SC cities, but when in Columbia it can be seen driving down our Main St or one of the busiest, Gervais. Ugh, take it down, it's so tacky :sick:

I agree that Columbia should have the say when it comes to the flag. And like many of you I feel if that were the case it would gone! :yahoo: I know that many minority groups and organizations refuse to use our state for activities because of that flag. Which is sad because many of the groups ahve noted that SC's location is a prime place to host minority events, and it is not over crowded like ATL. I think Our state and moreover Columbia would have progressed so much more than its current state had it not been for that flag. It is sad when representatives of the people wish to hold back our State with such close mindedness. :cry:

Note: I am not saying that the confederate flag is an abomination, I am saying that its current location on our capital is a henderance to better growth and prosperity for all! :rolleyes:

Archived