Richland County is an aberration in South Carolina

waccamatt

I agree that Columbia should have the say when it comes to the flag. And like many of you I feel if that were the case it would gone! :yahoo: I know that many minority groups and organizations refuse to use our state for activities because of that flag. Which is sad because many of the groups ahve noted that SC's location is a prime place to host minority events, and it is not over crowded like ATL. I think Our state and moreover Columbia would have progressed so much more than its current state had it not been for that flag. It is sad when representatives of the people wish to hold back our State with such close mindedness. :cry:

Note: I am not saying that the confederate flag is an abomination, I am saying that its current location on our capital is a henderance to better growth and prosperity for all! :rolleyes:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AGREED.... there's nothing wrong with the flag we just shouldn't sport it on our capital it belongs in a museum. To alot of people outside of the south it sends the WRONG message. How can a NCAA tournament be hosted in a state with confederate flag on it's capital dome or in front of the state house. College is a diverse setting and someone might get offended so I can see why they won't have one here. It's really sad!!!!!!!!

I think 803metlife knows that the Confederate flag is on the Statehouse grounds, but his point is that whether on the Statehouse grounds or atop the Statehouse dome, it is in a place of prominence, and that's wrong.

There will be certain Southern states where you will be less likely (to a significant degree) to see the Confederate flag, particularly at some college function (e.g., NC, FL, TX)--and it's no surprise these tend to be your more progressive Southern states.

As far as the NCAA restrictions, I don't find that rule to be stupid at all; rather, I find our position on the matter (or rather that of a handful of politicians) stupid. The NCAA also banned events from coming to Mississippi (although I'm not sure if it's still in place). But in that case, it's a bit different, since the citizens of Mississippi actually voted to keep the Confederate emblem in the state flag. At any rate, if you ask me, more organizations need to follow the NCAA's lead. It's a damn shame that this state can be held hostage by a handful of politicians who wish to foist their historic obssessions on the rest of the state and get away with it.

When we use the term "diversity," I don't think we mean it in an absolutely inclusive sense; if that's the case, we'd put Swastikas up because there are certainly people offended by that. As it regards the Confederate flag, when the vast majority of an entire race of people find it offensive and a sign of oppression, I don't think that's representative of the type of diversity that we're looking for.

And that confederate flag does make Columbia look bad. I was watching Gameday on ESPN when they was in Columbia and what do you see, a BIG ASS confederate flag in the middle of the screen between the anchor's heads the entire time. It just seems like some of us are stuck in 1861

Borat is hitchhiking & is picked up by an RV with 3 college students all wearing USC hats / t-shirts. They're drunk frat boys that make crude remarks about women & comment about how minorities have it made. Of course, just their behavior & accents is enough.

Of course - they could have come from any other place in the country, but they're from my homestate so it just seems more personal.

kb - of course it's possible that some people will just think the students are big fans of the male anatomy. But "South Carolina" is printed on more than 1 item, though hopefuly people won't fully make the connection. It might have just been recognizing that they were from South Carolina that I found it embarressing.

sonofaque - it's a guess, but from what I've been able to tell the theaters have been filling up. I had to buy tickets in advance & 'Borat' has already received noteriety for years as part of the Ali G show from HBO. I can only say that this isn't an obscure little film...

When we use the term "diversity," I don't think we mean it in an absolutely inclusive sense; if that's the case, we'd put Swastikas up because there are certainly people offended by that. As it regards the Confederate flag, when the vast majority of an entire race of people find it offensive and a sign of oppression, I don't think that's representative of the type of diversity that we're looking for.

Unfortunately I have heard of the Borat :sick: movie, but havent seen it. I honestly don't see the humor in most of it. :blink: I did however hear that it is number one and it is only in select theatres. How about they allow the citizens of columbia to vote on that flag thing. the issue i agree is old, tired, and embarrassing. I really get tired of explaining to people that columbia is not as completely backwards as it appears. or as backwards as some others in the state. ugh...let me focus on something better...ill be voting in a few hours! :thumbsup:

Exactly (present company excluded of course). I had a friend of mine who was being courted by a fraternity (not one of the good ones) so he went through all of the motions, did rush week, and then laughed in their face after they told him he'd been accepted, saying "So, what, I have to pay you guys to be my friends?"

You know, Tom Wolfe's book, I Am Charlotte Simmons, has a scene where all of these drunk frat boys are laying on these expensive couches in this old mansion (complete with a dungeon!!!) and he describes the house as smelling of pizza and beer. You know, it's said because other generations worked very hard for their fraternities and it used to mean something to be a member, but now, it's just a bunch of kids acting like Animal House. It is sad.

Please explain. (I know the answer already.....Red state= Republicans= hatemongers....right?) :rolleyes:

Guys, what in God's name does discussing politics in the manner it's being discussed on this thread have to do with development & growth? Seems to me all that's (about) to be done here is some mudslinging. I've read several comments on this thread that I take strong exception to.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm here for news & insight on current & possible development, not DNC talking points.

Archived