60% voted for Tommy Moore

40% voted for Mark Sanford

Greenville County

66% voted for Mark Sandford

34% voted for Tommy Moore

Charleston County

57% voted for Mark Sanford

43% voted for Tommy Moore

Richland County is definately waaay more different than the other two larger metro's or counties of the state

More State and County #'s

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14188262/

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Richland County.

60% voted for Tommy Moore

40% voted for Mark Sanford

Greenville County

66% voted for Mark Sandford

34% voted for Tommy Moore

Charleston County

57% voted for Mark Sanford

43% voted for Tommy Moore

Richland County is definately waaay more different than the other two larger metro's or counties of the state

More State and County #'s

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14188262/

Maybe there is a horse-race developing between Richland and Charleston for bluest county. Charleston added two Democratic house members. Richland still has a big lead though in that category.

Plus, Sanford had the advantage in Charleston of being the local boy. Charleston always votes for those. I bet he would have lost Charleston County if he were from Greenville. :lol:

Guys, I hate to be a party pooper, but those Sanford/Moore results really don't demonstrate that "Richland County is so much different from the rest of the state," especially when Charleston County had the highest percentage of its population voting for the Democrat candidate (who's pretty conservative anyway). Furthermore, more than a few Republicans are disappointed in the way Sanford has been running this state, so they voted for Moore. We had a Democrat running who could pass for a Republican and a Republican running who could pass for a Libertarian.

Brad, I know we discussed that question at another point here on this forum, but in Richland's case, I think it's a combination of that, the university presence, and some true blue liberals (definitely a minority). Can't say for sure for Charleston though.

Even though I don't think this is a fair arguement, I'll voice it anyways - is Columbia & Charleston largely 'blue' due to a historically democrat supporting Black population & not because they are any more liberal than the rest of the state? I honestly do believe this is a larger liberal base in Columbia, yet the social conservatives of Richland County appear to comprise 65% of the population.

I do find that the most discouraging - even nationally. I think the gay issue is the true litmus test to differentiate 'conservatives' from 'liberals', or for that matter - moderates. Political parties, as this year has shown can rise & crest due to national sentiment, not any true political ideology. That the state of SC overwhelmingly voted for this amendment, including the most democratic counties as did the rest of the country in state wide referendums - practically the entire country is still conservative, even if they vote democrat.

Even though I don't think this is a fair arguement, I'll voice it anyways - is Columbia & Charleston largely 'blue' due to a historically democrat supporting Black population & not because they are any more liberal than the rest of the state? I honestly do believe this is a larger liberal base in Columbia, yet the social conservatives of Richland County appear to comprise 65% of the population.

Absolutely - major public colleges do have that effect, but as you suggested - voting democrat (especially this year) is not an indicator of liberalism. Everyone should keep in mind - voting democrat 25+ years ago wasn't that unusual.

But perhaps I'm missing the point, it isn't that Columbia itself is a liberal oasis - but compared to the entire state of South Carolina... well, you know what I mean. Being moderate isn't half bad.

Keeping in mind - despite my liberal leanings, Boulder can get on your nerves. It is as liberal as you can get (pro-transit, pro-environment, pro-prairie dogs & rainbows), but it is a small city where the majority are white, wealthy & don't know a thing about good bbq.

I was very discouraged with the results on amendment one; I just may move back up north, I'm sick and tired of the south's attitudes. The only plus in the vote is 49% of the voters in the city of columbia voted no and 51% of the voters in the city of Charleston voted no, but both cities had very poor turnouts. I know plenty of people who didn't bother voting because they "know how SC is". I always vote, though, no matter the odds.

You can move to Arizona. They voted down there Marriage Amendment.

It also is geting a lot 'bluer' these days. A landslide win for their Dem Gov, a right wing nut GOP congressman got beat, and the Dems won an open GOP seat too (resulting in a 4-4 partisan split), and I think one one chamber of the legislature turned D as well (I need to verify that though).

True, but something tells me Barry Goldwater would be opposed to any amendment against gay marriage, given his strict conservatism.

Most right-wingers nowadays are not conservative--or at least not in the classic sense. The classic conservative would not want government meddling in their affairs.

Archived