Richland County is an aberration in South Carolina

waccamatt

True, but something tells me Barry Goldwater would be opposed to any amendment against gay marriage, given his strict conservatism.

Most right-wingers nowadays are not conservative--or at least not in the classic sense. The classic conservative would not want government meddling in their affairs.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was very discouraged with the results on amendment one; I just may move back up north, I'm sick and tired of the south's attitudes. The only plus in the vote is 49% of the voters in the city of columbia voted no and 51% of the voters in the city of Charleston voted no, but both cities had very poor turnouts. I know plenty of people who didn't bother voting because they "know how SC is". I always vote, though, no matter the odds.

I find it sad that the NCAA has banned SC for the Confederate flag on the State House grounds...I mean, let's face it, that flag was/is a major part of SC's history--whether we like it or not--it existed for a cause of what the people wanted then...it's historic...and yeah, a museum would be nice for it...but NCAA's ban is just plain old stupid IMO...Personally, I think it's an attractive flag...with more style than the US flag. Of course, I understand their ban as well...and the "hurt" it must stir in them over slavery, etc....but really...it's just a flag after all...US slavery was abolished so long ago...

..Have heard of Borat movie...seen him on cable...but I am not anxious to see the film and can wait for the DVD--though it's probably be 20 years before I am ever interested in really seeing it...An old friend here San Francisco (she's originally from St. Stephens, SC) that I used to work with at Bank of America in 1990s had me watch Borat on cable at her house, and I laughed the most when he did a skit, playing a gay reporter interviewing straight cowboys at a rodeo in Texas ...which got ugly when he purposely came on to one of them...but the whole thing was hysterical since Borat plays the characters so dumb and stupid...and he pokes fun really at all American cultures...

...of course no one expects gay marriage to become legal in SC or even California (I think it has to do with cold climates or places with more sophiscated cultures..like in Denmark, Norway, even Canada...and states with cold weather like Mass...and Vermont with its civil unions) but it was interesting and good to see that voters in city of Charelston and town of Folly Beach almost voted against the admentment. In 21 Charleston precincts, a total of 3,561 voters opposed the marriage amendment and 3,303 supported it. In the two Folly Beach precincts, 528 residents opposed the amendment and 503 voters supported it.

...but I am rambling.

And Sparta, checked out the link to your pictures of Turkey. Fantastic pics...Also, since we're on the subject of the Confederate flag, there was a google ad link on the page about the flag...so I clicked it...which took me to eBay and bunch of flags going to the highest bidders, etc.

Very True. Goldwater stated that the GOP had been 'hijacked' by the so-called religious right, and that they had no understanding of what true conservatism is. He also stated he had no problem with allowing gays to serve opening in the military. The gay Marriage issue had not arrived on the scene during his lifetime.

I really tire of people attempting to justify something so divisive to the people of our state and come down on an organization for taking that into account as to whether or not it will hold functions here; never mind the fact that it makes us look ass-backwards to the rest of the nation.

It doesn't matter whether the flag is nice is not - hey the swastika even has a nice pattern and predates anything to do with nazism - it's what it symbolizes that is important. As a historical document - fine - it belongs in a historical exhibition, but to display it prominently like that is outrageous.

It really has to go ASAP. It is stopping progress in this state. That famous fortune-100 company who everybody was excited would come to Innovista withdrew in large part because of concern for their diverse workforce, as far as I've understood. A major blow to Cola!

Is there any way to remove it without a statewide vote? Obviously bad national press about it would be even worse.

(BTW, Borat is hilarious. Check out clips on youtube. He's a master at setting people up to look really stupid.)

The flag got off the dome without a vote, so theoretically it could be removed from the grounds without a vote. However, a certain senator from Charleston would rather die first than to see the flag go. I absolutely cannot wait to see the day he leaves office. Wherever I happen to live at that time, I will throw a party when it happens.

The flag got off the dome without a vote, so theoretically it could be removed from the grounds without a vote. However, a certain senator from Charleston would rather die first than to see the flag go. I absolutely cannot wait to see the day he leaves office. Wherever I happen to live at that time, I will throw a party when it happens.

You can move to Arizona. They voted down there Marriage Amendment.

It also is geting a lot 'bluer' these days. A landslide win for their Dem Gov, a right wing nut GOP congressman got beat, and the Dems won an open GOP seat too (resulting in a 4-4 partisan split), and I think one one chamber of the legislature turned D as well (I need to verify that though).

I was very discouraged with the results on amendment one; I just may move back up north, I'm sick and tired of the south's attitudes. The only plus in the vote is 49% of the voters in the city of columbia voted no and 51% of the voters in the city of Charleston voted no, but both cities had very poor turnouts. I know plenty of people who didn't bother voting because they "know how SC is". I always vote, though, no matter the odds.

Nah, it's nothing personal man. But two "Dis" South Carolina comments in one thread is begging for it. Especially from the devoted Waccamatt. Be positive man, it'll all be ok. Make a dis South Carolina thread for those viewpoints or something. But the thread was about Richland County Democrats.

BTW, that Orlando guys comment after you posted the picture in the thread about skyline views from freeways was pretty rude. Columbia from 126 makes the city look awesome and should impress people who have never seen our skyline. Glad somebody took the time to post it!

Archived