Picardy Interchange Opens

richyb83

The $50.6 million completed project adds an overpass above I-10 with access to the Mall of La. via the new Picardy Ave. extension. The overpass links up with frontage roads that parallel the sides of the interstate between Bluebonnet and Siegen. Both sides have ramps onto and off of I-10.(total of 4 ramps) This is a development you would expect to see in Texas! This project ran into a few speed bumps where work was briefly delayed when embankment walls began to sink back in June 05'.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/4547696.h...ndex=13&c=y

This will also spur more development near the new Rave15 threater and eventually connect with Perkins Rowe. Also a new main entrance the the new open-air Boulevard; an expansion of the Mall of La.

I would like to find a graphic, it's getting too late now, sorry.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The $50.6 million completed project adds an overpass above I-10 with access to the Mall of La. via the new Picardy Ave. extension. The overpass links up with frontage roads that parallel the sides of the interstate between Bluebonnet and Siegen. Both sides have ramps onto and off of I-10.(total of 4 ramps) This is a development you would expect to see in Texas! This project ran into a few speed bumps where work was briefly delayed when embankment walls began to sink back in June 05'.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/4547696.h...ndex=13&c=y

This will also spur more development near the new Rave15 threater and eventually connect with Perkins Rowe. Also a new main entrance the the new open-air Boulevard; an expansion of the Mall of La.

I would like to find a graphic, it's getting too late now, sorry.

Any plans to do this between Essen and Bluebonnet?

I'd love to see a Perkins/Suma connector combined with another overpass like Picardy. That would help out Essen a lot, now would be a perfect time to start since they Perkins Road widening should be underway soon.

I thought it would be kind of pointless, but the Picardy connector really worked. Anyone notice how they blocked off the interior section. It looks like they are preparing to make it 6 or even 8 lanes later on.

I'd like to see some mid to high rise modern office buildings along Picardy near the interstate now....maybe another Essen Lane mix of retail and office towers. There is definately a demand for it. We can build our signature tower right there. That would make I 10 very interesting with Downtown, the Shaw Building, Mariott, and then south toward the mall we have the three crosses and a new signature office tower.

Thanks flatiger for posting that. It's very nice to be able to hit The Mall of La. w/o having to travel Bluebonnet. The frontage road ramps are cool. Now maybe I won't have to avoid the area during Christmas season.

Next they need to widen I-10 from the split to Bluebonnet. Eventually widen I-10 out to the still rapidly growing Ascension Parish out to Cabela's/Tanger Outlet Mall; or even to Hwy.22 to the Sunshine Bridge

It reminds me of the Interstates in Texas too. I hope the amatuer drivers in BR know how to handle the new interchange.

That's one "Major" +positive for Baton Rouge is it's trees. People around the country bragg about the scenery; they can't believe how green the city is and filled with trees.

One reason is the "oasis" in middle of BR is the 450-acre LSU Rural Life Museum/Ag.Expierment Station/Burden Plantation Grounds from Essen Lane west to Ward's Creek past the 10-12 split. This area probably will never be developed. After the explosion, there was a settlement. Pretty much every year after that, the nearby residents kept claiming illnesses from various loud noises and smoke and filed suit over and over again. The Explosion kind of caused mass- paranoia (understandable), so every funny noise or tower flame would cause hysteria....but there were some people that really were scared, but many were just after an extra dime.

However; Notice all the green-belt(filter from chemical plants very nessesary) going the SE following Ward's Creek along I-10; alot of that has been coming down between Essen and Bluebonnet where Ward's Creek branches(north) for a possible University Hospital.... and now of course the new Picardy Interchange slashed into the Green-belt as well. But some of that is to be expected.

i live in dallas, and like houston we have the constant service roads on on the side of the highway. i agree after a while it looks crazy cuz its endless shopping centers, and no trees. but it does give a big city appeal, i think that be a good looke for baton rouge, if the were able to do that along i 10 and widen it from the split all the way down to the second perkins road exit, it would probably single handedly spark sprawl along the corridor

i live in dallas, and like houston we have the constant service roads on on the side of the highway. i agree after a while it looks crazy cuz its endless shopping centers, and no trees. but it does give a big city appeal, i think that be a good looke for baton rouge, if the were able to do that along i 10 and widen it from the split all the way down to the second perkins road exit, it would probably single handedly spark sprawl along the corridor

After the explosion, there was a settlement. Pretty much every year after that, the nearby residents kept claiming illnesses from various loud noises and smoke and filed suit over and over again. The Explosion kind of caused mass- paranoia (understandable), so every funny noise or tower flame would cause hysteria....but there were some people that really were scared, but many were just after an extra dime.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, this is all I could do to take pic while driving over the new Picardy Overpass

Looking toward Seigen Lane down I-10; East-bound Frontage Road directly below

with merge ramp going over Seigen exit.

The elevated Frontage Road on opposite side(left) going westbound with giant retaining walls

Those walls sank some during construction causing delays a several months

snaphappy051hh3.jpg

Sorry, this is all I could do to take pic while driving over the new Picardy Overpass

Looking toward Seigen Lane down I-10; East-bound Frontage Road directly below

with merge ramp going over Seigen exit.

The elevated Frontage Road on opposite side(left) going westbound with giant retaining walls

Those walls sank some during construction causing delays a several months

snaphappy051hh3.jpg

Archived