Highlands & Cashiers

goodbye

My absolute favorite daytrip/weekend-getaway is Highlands, North Carolina. It is a fabulously quaint arts & crafts mountain village, and is only a 1-2 hour drive from my home in Greenville, South Carolina. In the summer, this part of the region is packed with travelers and visitors seeking relief from the heat. There are tons of outdoor activities to take in around these villages, but there are plenty of awesome shops to enjoy in town as well. Here are just a few photos I shot last week and earlier this week. I will try to post more of them soon, Enjoy!

Highlands_04.jpg

Highlands_05.jpg

Highlands_06.jpg

Highlands_07.jpg

Highlands_03.jpg

Highlands_01.jpg

MountainAutumn2.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is also GREAT little shops and some surprisingly good restaurants. This area is not a very far drive for folks from Atlanta so they have helped to "notch-up" some of this areas offerings! My company has a few customers there, so I'm lucky to get to go there at least 3-4 times per year. My favorite time though is in the winter after a fresh snow!!

Thanks for posting the pics!

Thanks for the great replies, everyone! These photos do not adequately depict the incredible beauty of the area, but they do give a tiny sneak peek. :thumbsup:

Neat little village. What are the outdoor activities in this area? Do they have an inn with easy access to trails, etc? Thanks.

• 3 months later...

I'd say Highlands feels like a small town out of Upstate New York more than any other place in NC.

The area became a HUGELY popular resort town for the few short years (20 or so) starting in 1903 when the Southern Railroad ran as far as Lake Toxaway.

The recent expansion(s) of Old Edwards Inn have really begun to change Highlands. When we first started visiting the Inn only occupied the original building on the corner - they have since expanded to most of the block. I've noticed that things are getting quite a bit more expensive as well.

Archived