Memphis Road Projects

Rardy

Yeah I noticed them paving it out there too, and when you said that it would take 3 years for paving, I thought they must be putting on 20 layers of asphalt for it to take that long. :lol:

I think I remember hearing it would be completed by this next summer, not sure though.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have not begun construction on the sections between Poplar (TN-57) and Macon Road (TN-193). The other 3 sections are constructed and all in the process of being paved. As I understand, the section between Hwy 72 and Poplar is set to finish late spring to summer. The section between I-40 and Hwy 64 will be a little longer--summer to fall. The section between Hwy 64 and Macon is of less need but may be ready by end of 2007. These estimates were given when asphalt and oil were on the rise, but prices dropped in late summer/early fall and paving seemed to pick up steam. So, maybe the sections will be complete sooner than those target dates.

The 2 sections remaining to be constructed (Poplar to Raleigh-LaGrange and Raleigh-LaGrange to Macon) may start next year--probably a 2-3 year project on each section. Hopefully the sections will be built together. The bridge over the Wolf may cause the project to take longer.

Sorry this is 2 days late, but the interchange of I-40 and 240 in Midtown opens this week, per Sunday's CA.

The Midtown project, which got under way in 2003, adds one lane in each direction, doubles the capacity of the interstate ramps and separates I-40 traffic from vehicles on I-240. It also includes the removal of 19 bridges, seven of which were replaced.

TDOT still managed to screw us with the horrendous choice of paint for the noise walls and overpasses--why can't they just pick one color (preferably an inoffensive one unlike the vomit tan with the excrement brown trim) and use it on all their interstate projects in the county? We have red, blue, green, white/cream, and at least one shade of brown/tan in use on our bridges and overpasses. In Knoxville, most everything is orange--ugly...but consistent :P . Why can't they do that for Memphis except using blue or gray? Unfortunately, TDOT doesn't seem to give a crap.

TDOT still managed to screw us with the horrendous choice of paint for the noise walls and overpasses--why can't they just pick one color (preferably an inoffensive one unlike the vomit tan with the excrement brown trim) and use it on all their interstate projects in the county? We have red, blue, green, white/cream, and at least one shade of brown/tan in use on our bridges and overpasses. In Knoxville, most everything is orange--ugly...but consistent :P . Why can't they do that for Memphis except using blue or gray? Unfortunately, TDOT doesn't seem to give a crap.

I think they chose the rust color because they wouldn't have to paint the iron beams under the overpasses. Then they just chose a complementary color to go with it. I kind of like it, but I wish they would have put in some landscaping. TDOT has never heard of aesthetics.

I-40 in Tennessee has been labeled the best highway in the nation by Overdrive Magazine which ranks state's roads each year. I-10 in Louisiana is the worst (congestion). Today's CA has the article.

Tennessee's roads overall were ranked 3rd in the nation, behind Texas and Florida, but better than Georgia and Virginia.

The worst roads are in Louisiana, Missouri, Arkansas, Michigan, and Pennsylvania.

I *think* landscaping would be the city's responsibility, although I'm not at all sure about that.

I drove down the brand-new 40/240 interchange today. It's finally open. I don't think the tan and brown sound barriers look terrible -- not the color I would've picked, but it could be much worse.

I was disappointed though that eastbound I-40 still eventually narrows to one lane. That's probably temporary until they widen the next portion, but for the time being it's still only one lane for about 100 yards.

BUT...it's quite impressive going from I-40 westbound onto I-240 southbound. At all times there's 10-12 lanes on what is essentially 2 parallel freeways. It's very modern, efficient, and makes Memphis feel like a good deal larger than what we actually are. :D

I was disappointed that there isn't even a dedicated lane from 240 northbound to 40 eastbound. It doesn't look like they striped it right. There's room for a dedicated lane and another exit lane and still room for a lane coming from Madison.

The final environmental review is now available in all Shelby and DeSoto libraries. It covers the stretch from the I-55/69 interchange to TN 385 in Millington. I'd love to see the plans for I-240 through Midtown - specifically how much they plan on widening it...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived