Memphis Road Projects

Rardy

I drove 78 to Olive Branch today and on the way back I noticed a "Future I-22 Corridor" sign on westbound 78 about a quarter of a mile from the Tennessee state line. Something, somewhere isn't adding up.

The state of Tennessee has claimed to have no plans to upgrade Lamar, but an interstate has to end either on another interstate or a coast. Since there's no coast, it's either 269 or 240. That sign seems to indicate 240...

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They could also construct the highway through what had been Oakhaven and tie it into the airport connector at Winchester. This would tie the airport into the interstate system and make it more convient for a large portion of the metro area.

They could also construct the highway through what had been Oakhaven and tie it into the airport connector at Winchester. This would tie the airport into the interstate system and make it more convient for a large portion of the metro area.

Any plan that could be developed that could further intergrate the airport with the interstate system would be great for economic development purposes. As far as ideas go, I'll have to let you folks more familar with the Memphis road net more thoroughly than I do that figuring. :)

TDOT is about to launch a study of the 550-mile stretch of I-40/81 between Memphis and Bristol, per today's MBJ.

"The first-of-its-kind study will explore the corridor, which traverses nearly the whole state from west to east. It is TDOT's first multi-modal (car, truck and rail) corridor planning project, TDOT said in a statement. It is also the first step in implementing the department's Long Range Transportation Plan, which was approved recently."

"The study will identify solutions to a variety of transportation challenges, including roadway operations and maintenance; safety; freight movement and intermodal connections. It will produce a list of projects to be considered by TDOT for its 10-year transportation improvement program."

I seriously hope rail is considered in this plan!!! I need to research this Long Range Transportation Plan...

Between Rardy and RK's comments, what about an I-55/I-240 connector that feeds airport traffic from the west side of the field. Think of it as an extension/enhancement of the current Plough Blvd. It would be start at the I-55/Raines junction, head north on the west side of the FedEx training facility on Airways, and connect to a re-aligned Plough Blvd. that would be in the approx location of the present-day Airways (essentially following the drainage ditch into Nonconnah Creek). This connector (called I-355 or I-140/340???) would have SPUI-style interchanges at Winchester and Democrat for local traffic and a continuing access connector for airport traffic from downtown.

There is a lot of traffic that turns east onto I-240 from northbound I-55 and this connector could take some of the heat off "Malfunction Junction" while also allowing quicker airport access from DeSoto County. I'd still like to see Airways eliminated between Shelby and Winchester allowing for a 4th N-S parallel runway.

As for area light rail, there is room to connect a link across the Nonconnah Corp. Center between Millbranch & Airways (good spot for a station), go underground on the airport property, connect to the existing airport station, follow Louis Carruthers drive underground on the airport property, and eventually connect to the existing rail line paralleling-I-55.

TDOT is about to launch a study of the 550-mile stretch of I-40/81 between Memphis and Bristol, per today's MBJ.

"The first-of-its-kind study will explore the corridor, which traverses nearly the whole state from west to east. It is TDOT's first multi-modal (car, truck and rail) corridor planning project, TDOT said in a statement. It is also the first step in implementing the department's Long Range Transportation Plan, which was approved recently."

"The study will identify solutions to a variety of transportation challenges, including roadway operations and maintenance; safety; freight movement and intermodal connections. It will produce a list of projects to be considered by TDOT for its 10-year transportation improvement program."

I seriously hope rail is considered in this plan!!! I need to research this Long Range Transportation Plan...

• 3 weeks later...

^The MPO is being updated according to today's MBJ. The new plan will be available for 10 days at area libraries beginning Friday.

Other new construction projects coming up include:

-New 4th-level flyover on the east interchange of 40/240

-widening all of I-240 between I-55 and I-40 to 8 lanes (how are they gonna do this at the 385 interchange???)

-widening I-40 between Hwy. 64 and Collierville-Arlington Rd. to 6 lanes

-missing link on Wolf River Blvd. between Farmington and Kimbrough constructed.

^The MPO is being updated according to today's MBJ. The new plan will be available for 10 days at area libraries beginning Friday.

Other new construction projects coming up include:

-New 4th-level flyover on the east interchange of 40/240

-widening all of I-240 between I-55 and I-40 to 8 lanes (how are they gonna do this at the 385 interchange???)

-widening I-40 between Hwy. 64 and Collierville-Arlington Rd. to 6 lanes

-missing link on Wolf River Blvd. between Farmington and Kimbrough constructed.

I went to the dpdgov.com website to check on I-55 near downtown. At least it is on there! Says environmental studies are being done now. How can this not be a top priority? :huh:

You have 3 lanes going north on I-55 thru downtown that turn into a one lane exit ramp. Traffic backs up there 24 hours a day. You go from 55 MPH to about 15. I can't believe this is only in the very early stages of development. Any comments?

I went to the dpdgov.com website to check on I-55 near downtown. At least it is on there! Says environmental studies are being done now. How can this not be a top priority? :huh:

You have 3 lanes going north on I-55 thru downtown that turn into a one lane exit ramp. Traffic backs up there 24 hours a day. You go from 55 MPH to about 15. I can't believe this is only in the very early stages of development. Any comments?

That's been on the priority list for about a few years now, but they haven't come to a final consensus on how to redo the 1-55/Riverside/Crump interchange. So far, there are two versions of the proposed plan.

http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/i55/faq.htm

Whichever plan they choose, it's going to affect the neighboring French Fort area by about 5 houses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The state is getting ready to test two new toll pilot programs - one a road and the other a bridge. The local MPO has asked the state that the new toll bridge the state will try out be one connecting Memphis and Arkansas.

IMO this is a great opportunity, I'm just not sure where to put one in Shelby County (all other feasible alternatives I've heard have been in either DeSoto or Tunica). The best alternative IMO? Extending 385 from Millington to meet up with 63/I-555 in Crittenden County...

Article here>>

Archived