Memphis Road Projects

Rardy

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not to damper any hopes, but I would bet the new pilot toll bridge will connect Hendersonville to Davidson County. The State Senate sponsor of the toll road legislation has been pushing for that bridge for awhile.

The Tennessean has a story from a couple of years ago about it.

^ LOL - Thats very true, but I would not bet on a new Mississippi bridge over one connecting Sumner and Davidson counties. Legislators have pull and that bridge in Middle Tennessee was the prime example of why the toll legislation was needed. Without the enabling legislation that bridge connecting Hendersonville to Nashville has little chance of getting built, on the other hand a third Mississippi River bridge for Memphis has a lot viability on its own merit. Plus, do we really want a toll road bridge across the Mississippi? I'd much rather see the city's legislational clout be used to get one funded out of the regular transportation fund, esp. since the bridge can be justified.

Another issue facing a toll bridge across the Mississippi is that Arkansas would have to be involved in any new bridge plans, where as the Middle Tennessee project would be solely a TDOT project.

^...Well...what if we phrased it in such a way that building this third bridge across the Mississippi would give all those Nashville legislators a route to bypass Memphis so they never have to set foot here again? Unfortunately, they might just go for that rationale.

The stretch of 385 between I-40 and Hwy. 64 has now opened, to the giddiness of Arlington officials. Arlington is definitely expecting a sprawl-a-thon from this...

In the excitement of what state Sen. Mark Norris called "a red-letter day," Arlington business owners began imagining the potential for the tree-lined highway.

"I can just see a boom of businesses around U.S. 70 and around U.S. 64," said Arlington Chamber of Commerce president Claudia Horton, noting the need for shopping centers and entertainment businesses in Arlington.

The city is looking for consultants to design a new SPUI for Winchester/Perkins. Do you guys really think a SPUI is necessary there? It doesn't seem to be any heavier-travelled an intersection than a LOT of others around town...

City's request here>>

The stretch of 385 between I-40 and Hwy. 64 has now opened, to the giddiness of Arlington officials. Arlington is definitely expecting a sprawl-a-thon from this...

At any rate, it's one more gap filled in the outer loop.

Article here>>

I-69 (both the completed portion and the to-be-built portion) were named one of 6 "Corridors of The Future" by the U.S. Dept. of Transportation. This designation also gave $800,000 toward the an "innovative financing" study.

The DOT says:

This application includes freight and passenger movement through a portion of the country that is experiencing both demographic and freight movement growth. The current infrastructure from Texas to Michigan already handles a very large flow of goods and this corridor has the potential to shift cargo patterns to relieve existing and projected congestion along existing routes (e.g., I-40, I-65, I-81). This corridor has already been identified by Congress as a high priority corridor, is one of the farthest along in clearly defining its project list, and has the political support of all the states involved.

^ Good to see the DOT providing designation and "innovative financing" study to push along the project. I-69 will completely change a good portion of West Tennessee and much of the corridor for the better if it is properly capitalized upon, so any extra help and attention the Federal Government can give the better IMO. I know I am ready to see the heavy equipement get in the field around Union City next year, as that will really start to put the concept into the minds of peopel in the region that this interstate is going to become a reality and its potential benefits are on the way.

I must've missed the grand opening of I-55 in DeSoto County, but I noticed last weekend that construction is complete and the interstate now has 10 travel lanes between the state line and Goodman. That'll rival any place in metro Memphis for second-widest freeway.

It abruptly goes back down to 4 lanes, though, at the Goodman interchange. I know there are plans to widen it all the way down to the I-69 junction, though.

• 1 month later...

Mississippi has finished issuing $83 million in bonds for the design and right-of-way work for I-269 between I-55 and the Tennessee state line. This is the first of three bond issuances that will pay for the $400+ million project. State officials say they can have the road finished in 8 years.

Article here>>

Interstate 22 From Memphis to Birmingham

I 269 Loop (going around Memphis, down into Mississippi, eventually into Arkansas and back into Tennessee)

I 69 (The Mexico to Canada Interstate Highway)

I 555 (This is part of an interstate "system" that will eventually connect Memphis and Kansas City)

Memphis to Atlanta Corridor 7 (This is a high priority interstate, not yet numbered, but is already up to interstate standards, just needs shoulders and overpasses) Let's just say that the possiblity of the Interstate 30 designation is not out of the question. It is possible that I 30 could merge with I 40 in Little rock, and then split back off in Memphis. Interstates 80 and 90 go across Illinois and Ohio together, so that sets the precedent for this possiblity.

If this happens here is a future list of Memphis interstates: 40, 55, 22, 69, 30, 240, 269, 555.

To me, the writing is on the wall. Something is about to go down in the Memphis Metro. They aren't building all of these for nothing. I 22 not even finished and Toyota is already coming in. I 69 not even finished and Nike is coming in.

Vision this. Once all of this is complete the Memphis Interstate system will have 9 legs with an inner loop (240) and an outer loop (269). This would give Lil on good for nothin Memphis the most major interstates of any city in the United States. The jobs this construction will create will be great.

The growth that Memphis is going to have because of this is not even going to be possible to keep up with.

Not only that, but the whole Mid South region. Outsiders From Memphis don't realize how important the growth of Memphis is to the Mid South. These interstates, because of their connections to Memphis will benefit all of North Mississippi and even North Alabama all of the way to Florence and Huntsville. If the loop ever actually goes across into Arkansas, West Memphis could possibly become the biggest suburb in the South and some day the second biggest city in Arkansas. Look for South Haven and Olive Branch to rival for the second biggest city in Mississippi.

Memphis to Atlanta Corridor 7 (This is a high priority interstate, not yet numbered, but is already up to interstate standards, just needs shoulders and overpasses) Let's just say that the possiblity of the Interstate 30 designation is not out of the question. It is possible that I 30 could merge with I 40 in Little rock, and then split back off in Memphis. Interstates 80 and 90 go across Illinois and Ohio together, so that sets the precedent for this possiblity.

As Rardy stated overlaying I-30 onto I-40 would greatly add to cogestion and create more problems than benefits more than likely. Thats not to say it could not be worked out though if running I-30 to Atlanta was something being pushed for and going to be made a reality.

I'd hate to see an elevated freeway cutting through the center of Memphis. Due to what I would suspect would be massive public neighborhood opposition, I doubt it would ever happen.

As far as the Atlanta-Memphis freeway business goes, it seems that the North Alabama folks are the ones pushing it the most--giving them an interstate connection to both Atlanta and Memphis, so I think the impetus for it will come from that neck of the woods. Once the interstate to Birmingham is completed--along with Bham's northern loop--I suspect that will take off any Memphis pressure for the interstate through North Alabama.

I'd hate to see an elevated freeway cutting through the center of Memphis. Due to what I would suspect would be massive public neighborhood opposition, I doubt it would ever happen.

As far as the Atlanta-Memphis freeway business goes, it seems that the North Alabama folks are the ones pushing it the most--giving them an interstate connection to both Atlanta and Memphis, so I think the impetus for it will come from that neck of the woods. Once the interstate to Birmingham is completed--along with Bham's northern loop--I suspect that will take off any Memphis pressure for the interstate through North Alabama.

Like I said, a precendent has already been set up north with I's 80 and 90. If you look at I 30 on the map, it just doesn't make any sense to have a major "0" interstate only going for a little over 300 miles. Plus, the laying out of this interstate would be perfect, from south to north you would have 20, 30 and 40. Now, how it would create more conjestion is a question mark as well, because you aren't creating a new route, the route is already in place, people are already using it, and even if it did create more conjestion, I think that anyone who has traveled on I 40 form L.R. to Memph. would admit that it needs more lanes anyways. Maybe this would give the federal government the incentive to up it to 4 lanes both ways from L. R. to Memphis. The new route through Memphis could actually be a new elevated Highway going through the center of town. We need an interstate going through the center of town. It could be designed to meed up with Bill Morris Pkway and then Make the turn on Highway 72 all of the way to Chattanooga, with a spur (230??) splitting off to Atlanta.

THis is just be brainstorming. I do work in the transportation industry, and a major route from Memphis to Chattanooga is needed. THis would relieve highways from the stress all along the southern edges of Tennessee, it would also relieve I 40 from stress from Memphis to Nashville, because a lot of people take Memphis to Nashville and then I 24 to Chattanooga.

Also, It would relieve traffic in Birmingham, because people could take this route to Atlanta and even to get to Florida.

There's many more precendents for route overlays than just I-80 and 90. We'll be getting route overlays here in Memphis once 69 is completed. I-69 will run up I-55 from Hernando, then up the midtown portion of 240, then 3 or so miles on I-40. It's certainly not uncommon. But just because it could happen doesn't mean it should happen.

And the last thing Memphis needs is an elevated freeway running down Poplar. That should never ever happen. Cities are learning that freeways encourage sprawl and (figuratively) only give people ways OUT of the city. There's a huge push right now to get rid of center city freeways because there's soooo much more to a city than cars.

I also don't quite get your point about why I-30 should be extended just because it ends in an "0"... And do we really need an interstate connecting Memphis and Chattanooga??? Given that we already have a 4-lane divided highway all the way there, I seriously don't think so. There's always I-40 to Nashville to I-24...

But your idea about a Forrest City split off is actually being tossed around a good bit right now. There's an active push to build a 4-lane road from Batesville, MS to Forrest City, AR. It could very easily go through Tunica, and that IMO would make sense. Would it need to be a freeway instead of a 4-lane divided highway? mmm...I doubt it.

The Federal Government has wanted what, exactly?

^There may be political support and statistical data to support a I-22 corridor from Memphis to Atlanta, but I doubt a TDOT study would find a state parkway project linking Memphis to Chattanooga to be a good use of highway funds in terms of developing the state's highway infrastructure. The state has issues funding its current building and maintenance projects out of the current dedicated gas tax, so new ambitous projects are definitely going to be on hold for awhile unless a clear need and a benefit is shown via TDOT and/or USDOT studies.

I think the best bet for a new more direct route from Memphis to Chattanooga would run through Huntsville to provide that city a east-west interstate or parkway corridor. Such a project would spread the cost over several states and could garner more federal dollars than a pontential instate project could.

Mempho, you aren't alone in caring about this stuff, there are plenty of folks here on the Memphis forum and on UP who care about this infrastructure development and like discussing it. We are glad to have you here and contributing to such discussions! :thumbsup:

^There may be political support and statistical data to support a I-22 corridor from Memphis to Atlanta, but I doubt a TDOT study would find a state parkway project linking Memphis to Chattanooga to be a good use of highway funds in terms of developing the state's highway infrastructure. The state has issues funding its current building and maintenance projects out of the current dedicated gas tax, so new ambitous projects are definitely going to be on hold for awhile unless a clear need and a benefit is shown via TDOT and/or USDOT studies.

I think the best bet for a new more direct route from Memphis to Chattanooga would run through Huntsville to provide that city a east-west interstate or parkway corridor. Such a project would spread the cost over several states and could garner more federal dollars than a pontential instate project could.

Mempho, you aren't alone in caring about this stuff, there are plenty of folks here on the Memphis forum and on UP who care about this infrastructure development and like discussing it. We are glad to have you here and contributing to such discussions! :thumbsup:

Why do we need a freeway going to Chattanooga, two words....Stop lights....

Also, who said the interstate had to be on the poplar route?? Go to google maps and click on the satelite view and you'll see plenty of different routes that could be taken. Plus, I was just tossing in some ideas, I personally like the idea of splitting it off in Forest City.

Most "0" interstates go a long ways. ie. I 10, 20, 40...I would just like to see a freeway going to Charlotte. That way we could get to Chattanooga and the Smokies w/out having to deal with Nashville traffic. Plus, North's MS. and AL. need it for their economies. I 40 to 24 is an ok route, but you have to go NOrth just to go back south. A more direct route is needed.

Oh, about the Federal Government wanting this... I got that from their web site: Memphis to Atlanta Corridor 7 (This is a high priority interstate, not yet numbered, but is already up to interstate standards, just needs shoulders and overpasses). Congress has been talking about this for a while. Read the whole article.

Why would it need to be a freeway besides a 4 lane??? That's the kind of reasoning that has gotten our region behind in the past and now playing catch up. WHy not build the free way now when you have time and room on your side. If you don't, the areas build up and then you can't do it. For example, Germantown Pkwy... Hwy 64... Plus, a freeway doesn't even have to be an interstate. Check out the state of Texas. THey have turned most of thier state highways into freeways...

Thanks for talking with me about it though. Sometimes I feel like I 'm the only nerd who cares about this stuff.

Archived