Memphis Road Projects

Rardy

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TN 385 opens in Piperton in the fall (I think resolving an earlier discussion we had in this thread?), per CA. The article says a conversion to an I-269 is a decade away.

The point of the article is that Piperton is about to see some serious growth as it finds itself at the intersection of 2 major freeways in a couple of years. It will be interesting seeing this town grow up, but I really don't see any evidence of smart planning. They seem more concerned with attracting high-income residents.

• 6 months later...

Memphis serves as the hub of the Delta Development Highway System that stretches from Louisiana to Illinois and is looking to spend 18.5 billion dollars on transportation projects.

Some of the greater Memphis area transportation issues squarely in DRA's crosshairs include the highway logjam occurring where Interstates 40 and 55 meet in West Memphis, and also the spot where I-55 awkwardly and abruptly is rerouted just south of Riverside Drive Downtown.

"The two most important criteria for surface transportation behind development are safety and reduction in congestion," Triplett said. "With the Delta Development Highway System - particularly as it evolves over the next 20 years - safety and reduction of congestion in critical places like Memphis would be two of the top considerations."

Bypassing Memphis to improve Memphis

One of the Memphis projects suggested by DRA came from federal co-chairman Johnson, who was appointed by President George W. Bush and confirmed by the Senate in 2001.

In DRA's July newsletter, Johnson issued this statement:

"We're also working with business, government and civic leaders in Arkansas and Mississippi to promote the idea of a four-lane connection from Interstate 55 at Batesville, Miss., to Interstate 40 at Brinkley, Ark.," Johnson wrote. "This route would, in essence, serve as an additional loop south of Memphis, allowing traffic to avoid the congested Memphis metropolitan area while speeding up the flow of goods across the country. Less congestion in Memphis would also make it easier for the area to meet air quality standards."

^ I read about this over the weekend while I was in Memphis, its a very interesting idea. It could alleviate congestion in the city while providing improved infrastructure to enhance the economic prospects for the communities and region along the new southern loop. Pretty much a win-win situation.

I-22 is being fastracked, thanks to Toyota, according to today's Commerical Appeal.

The entire Alabama portion should be completed by 2011. It's eastern terminus will be on I-65 in Birmingham.

According to the article, the interstate's western terminus will be I-269, not due for completion until 2015.

Read the entire article here

^ Outstanding news. The economic benefits of I-22 being finally built should be very tangible in a very short period of time. Two interstates are great, but adding a third that links Memphis with Atlanta will be a great additional selling point for marketing the city. Plus, as the article states, having this interstate link in the future may very well help Memphis (and other communities along the corridor) land feeder/support plants to the new Toyota facility in the near term. Plus, land 4-6 decent manufacturing plants because of I-22 in the Memphis metro over time and you have equaled the Toyota plant, and more than likely a whole lot more diversified economic activity than that will come to the metro over 10-20 years because of I-22. Pretty good deal if everything works out to its full potential.

^ Outstanding news. The economic benefits of I-22 being finally built should be very tangible in a very short period of time. Two interstates are great, but adding a third that links Memphis with Atlanta will be a great additional selling point for marketing the city. Plus, as the article states, having this interstate link in the future may very well help Memphis (and other communities along the corridor) land feeder/support plants to the new Toyota facility in the near term. Plus, land 4-6 decent manufacturing plants because of I-22 in the Memphis metro over time and you have equaled the Toyota plant, and more than likely a whole lot more diversified economic activity than that will come to the metro over 10-20 years because of I-22. Pretty good deal if everything works out to its full potential.

I'm a little disappointed there are obviously no plans to bring I-22 across the state line into Tennessee. :( Lamar upgrades would be expensive, though. Nonconnah could easily be upgraded, but that would add even more traffic and it would be 24/7 congestion.

It just seems rather underwhelming to have I-22 end on I-269 in eastern DeSoto/western Marshall County.

The great thing is we're not just adding one new interstate, but two. And up until a few years ago, a third was being explored by folks in GA and AL (conversion of US 72 to interstate grade in addition to I-22 which is/was US 78). Perhaps the third one is on the backburnder in AL, but it was scheduled to hook up with Huntsville before splitting to Chatty and Atl.

Thats right, I totally forgot I-69 in regards to Memphis. So two new interstates, for a total of four! Being a hub for 4 interstates (3 of which are border to border) is definitely going to aid in luring industry, commerce, and corporate presence to the city. I can't see how Memphis is not going to see some significant economic growth out of all this infrastructure development. (Knock on wood!!! :D )

The great thing is we're not just adding one new interstate, but two. And up until a few years ago, a third was being explored by folks in GA and AL (conversion of US 72 to interstate grade in addition to I-22 which is/was US 78). Perhaps the third one is on the backburnder in AL, but it was scheduled to hook up with Huntsville before splitting to Chatty and Atl.

Though it would be quite expensive, converting Lamar from I-240 to the state line to a limited-access interstate (essentially extending I-22 to I-240) would make sense. This area of Lamar is a major choke point for the trucking industry and the cars using this road as it often takes several signal cycles to get through an intersection. SPUI-style interchanges at American Way, Getwell, Winchester, Raines, Shelby, and Holmes would still give almost full connectivity that Lamar has today without eating up very much land. Much of that section would have to be raised which would allow local traffic to flow on an access road underneath that could connect to smaller intersections such as Knight Arnold and Democrat. I'm surprised the trucking industry hasn't been more vocal about upgrading this stretch of road as it would help them and the other drivers in the region.

I'm a little disappointed there are obviously no plans to bring I-22 across the state line into Tennessee. :( Lamar upgrades would be expensive, though. Nonconnah could easily be upgraded, but that would add even more traffic and it would be 24/7 congestion.

It just seems rather underwhelming to have I-22 end on I-269 in eastern DeSoto/western Marshall County.

That's very good news. I have flown over the US63/I-55 interchange (on the Gilmore arrival) a lot and wondered what was going on. It's a very large project in the middle of nowhere. Good to see this access between JBR and MEM.

Not anymore. The Lamar/Shelby 4-way stop went away years ago, but the one at Lamar/Holmes did stick around way too long. It was only in the past 3-4 years that the latter 4-way stop was replaced by a light. There was also a difficult 4-way stop at Holmes/Riverdale (lots of trucks there, too) until it was replaced by a light not long ago. Guess it was the road department's tribute to the old days of Capleville. Anyone here remember when Capleville existed?

I drove 78 to Olive Branch today and on the way back I noticed a "Future I-22 Corridor" sign on westbound 78 about a quarter of a mile from the Tennessee state line. Something, somewhere isn't adding up.

The state of Tennessee has claimed to have no plans to upgrade Lamar, but an interstate has to end either on another interstate or a coast. Since there's no coast, it's either 269 or 240. That sign seems to indicate 240...

The only problem I have with Alabama is that when it comes to road projects, they always move at snail's pace (which explains why their portion of highway 78/I-22 still isn't finished). I think it has to do with a lack of funding or something on their part, otherwise projects like these would've been finished years ago, having gone through Birmingham from Memphis myself.

Archived