Trinity Hospital to move

Blazer85

Trinity Hospital chose the Grants Mills Rd. site apparently for their new $300+M replacement hospital for Baptist Montclair. Work is expected to take 32-months to complete the 100-acre project.

More details I assume will be released in the days/weeks to come.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

City Council protest hospital move

Hospital defends decision to move

From my perspective is it is obvious that Trinity is chasing the growth and not the needs to of the community. It maybe cheaper for them to up and build a new facility, but for how much more convienent is being in an undeveloped area in Irondale compared to it being located in the middle of an urban area. Besides the Tom Williams Auto Mall and Benchmark Automotive, there is basically no real densely populated area out there within a 5-mile radius of the proposed site. UAB Medical Center could make the same excuse about the majority of their patiences not being from Birmingham also, but you don't see them chasing the growth. It all come down to $$$ as always. Another pointless argument. :rolleyes:

City again to urge Trinity to remain

It seems will begin again another plead with Trinity Medical Center to remain in the Monteclair area. The city and the board for Trinity is to have a meeting to discuss the retaining the health facility within the city. However, Irondale anonimously approved the hospital's move to its city.

In perspective, the need for a hospital for Southerneastern Jefferson and Northeastern Shelby counties would be filled with the former HealthSouth now whomever digital hospital located on US 280. So the argument for the need for an emergency healthcare facilty in that are is baseless, and a state health board certificate for the hospital there has been approved. The whole thing comes down to chasing a possible population base that may not develop if the region due to it being so close to the Cahaba River watershed, which has actually hinder the majority of the development in that area.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, surprise, surprise, Trinty Medical Center formerly known as Montclair is moving to Irondale after they have closed on their deal on the parcel of land at I-459 and Grants Mill Road. So what do you guys think the City of Birmingham should do with the soon-to-be vacated property in Crestwood?

Well, surprise, surprise, Trinty Medical Center formerly known as Montclair is moving to Irondale after they have closed on their deal on the parcel of land at I-459 and Grants Mill Road. So what do you guys think the City of Birmingham should do with the soon-to-be vacated property in Crestwood?

As I have stated in previous posts there are some people in positions of authority and/or power that are determined for the city of Birmingham and it's leadership to fail. And in the process there is irrepairable economic damage being done the entire area.

• 3 weeks later...

Birmingham City Councilor, Carol Duncan, wrote a letter in the "My Turn" column of The Birmingham News about the push by Trinity to move the hospital to Irondale. She gave some valid reasons as to why the hospital Certificate of Need should be rejected by the State. Some of the reasons she mentioned is what will the lower income employees of the hospital are going to do to get to work since the current location is served by MAX while the new location is not, how the number of beds are being reduced by 106 when the hospital moves, and how it is going to be sitting in the middle of the Cahaba River watershed.

I whole relocation push just sounds suspicious to me and I agree 100% with Mrs. Duncan on this. What is the purpose of this hospital's relocation other than to get it from and weed out the number of the "undesirables" that seem to frequent the facility since it is in Birmingham city limits? Hmmm.................

Trinity relocation push unfair

• 2 months later...

National Military Hospital in Birmingham?

Seems the idea has picked up alot of steam with some federal and local leaders. The idea is to convert the vacant HealthSouth Digital Hospital into a national military hospital of the size/importance of a Walter Reed Medical Center. Apparently, the price of the facility, along with access to the interstate and airport nearby make the site a very tempting target for the federal government. I'm sure it also doesn't hurt that Birmingham has a nationally and even internationally recognized healthcare reputation. The facility would potentially employ thousands of people.

I really really hope that a deal can be worked out. It sure beats just seeing the thing sit there and be vacant. The military deserves it and it would be a big shot in the arm for our city... both in terms of jobs, but also in terms of reputation nationally.

Thoughts?

It's a very good idea. The U.S., in times of war, and out, is going to eventually need more beds for soldiers and vets. Especially now. Like you said, having UAB there would help better the military hospital and UAB itself. They could be some very good partners in healthcare.

Seems the idea has picked up alot of steam with some federal and local leaders. The idea is to convert the vacant HealthSouth Digital Hospital into a national military hospital of the size/importance of a Walter Reed Medical Center. Apparently, the price of the facility, along with access to the interstate and airport nearby make the site a very tempting target for the federal government. I'm sure it also doesn't hurt that Birmingham has a nationally and even internationally recognized healthcare reputation. The facility would potentially employ thousands of people.

I really really hope that a deal can be worked out. It sure beats just seeing the thing sit there and be vacant. The military deserves it and it would be a big shot in the arm for our city... both in terms of jobs, but also in terms of reputation nationally.

Thoughts?

I did not see the article so I don't know if it covered possible sale price of the facility to the government. But i seem to remember the new owner bought it on the cheap along with the entire Healthsouth complex. Now the new owner sells it to the government and probably gets back what they paid for the entire package and still has the Healthsouth complex in hand.

Stinks to high heaven to me.

• 1 year later...

Trinity to digital hospital (& no Solvay)

Trinity Medical Center has negotiated a $55 million incentives package to remain in the city limits of Birmingham. The hospital still plans to move from its present Montclair Road campus, however. The new location will be the so-called "digital hospital" constructed by HealthSouth on Highway 280 near the Cahaba River. The building, which may have exceeded $400 million if it were completed, was purchased for $43.5 million by Daniel Corp. in March. Trinity is planning to spend $236 million to purchase and renovate (compared to the estimated $316 million it was planning to spend on a new campus at Grant's Mill Road in Irondale).

In other news, Solvay Pharmaceuticals has determined that it does not have enough federal backing to justify a new influenza vaccine manufacturing plant. All indications were that if it had gone ahead with the project that it would have been located at the former Office for the Advancement of Developing Industries facility at the UAB Research Park in Oxmoor Valley.

http://www.bhamwiki.com/w/Trinity_Medical_Center

http://www.bhamwiki.com/w/HealthSouth_digital_hospital

http://www.bhamwiki.com/w/OADI

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Welll according to a study conducted by Auburn University's economic professor Kevin Deravi, the new edge city development on the site of the former HealthSouth Corporate headquarters could generate some 9,000 jobs. The development would include 398-bed hospital, 2 hotels, and 2 office buildings. The impact would be significant, but the unfortunate thing is that the project is being held up with the certification process on State Certificate of Need process.

http://birmingham.bizjournals.com/birmingh...ml?surround=lfn

Archived