Fultondale Developments

Blazer85

Fultondale Colonial Promenade

Work continues to progress nicely on the new development. All of the site work and drainage lines seem to be in place. The access roads have also been paved and guard-rails installed. Actual construction of the buildings should begin soon. So far the only tenants known for certain include a Target and a BestBuy. Other retail stores and several restaurants are expected to also be part of the development just off I-65 north of downtown Birmingham.

promenade100306.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fultondale grant to turn railroad bed to trail

Fultondale is going to use the $80,000 grant from Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs that would require a $20,000 match from the city itself to create a trail on the former CSX rail bed. The trail would connect a new park that would be created on the former flood buyout land to the Black Creek Park. It seems that more and more suburban cities do see the benefits offer alternative ways of transport via walking/biking trails. It gives me more hope that eventually they will cooperate in other major forms of alternative transportation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

who's the landscape architect? is there one? where are the renderings from (thanks for posting them, btw)?

seems like a pretty painless and very defensible way to incorporate some history into the infrastructure - now there's an idea for bham suburbs!

Fultondale Elementary (not visible in the picture in post #1) had been preserved until the new facility was constructed. Now that it has been, the old school was demolished today to make more room for the Colonial Promenade. Work should begin soon on the actual structures.

Thus far, these are the only *known* tenants:

- Target

- BestBuy

- Bama Fever

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Indeed... Belk needs to raise their standards though. Not pleased at all with some of their locations that I've seen.

BTW, the walls are coming up on one end of the Promenade now. Not sure which it is for... I assume it's most likely for the Target... or possibly the BestBuy.

Hopefully in the next couple weeks, I'll be able to get some new pictures of the progress. Coming along nicely.

Indeed... Belk needs to raise their standards though. Not pleased at all with some of their locations that I've seen.

BTW, the walls are coming up on one end of the Promenade now. Not sure which it is for... I assume it's most likely for the Target... or possibly the BestBuy.

Hopefully in the next couple weeks, I'll be able to get some new pictures of the progress. Coming along nicely.

Update on tenants (as currently projected):

- Target

- BestBuy

- Belk

- Bama Fever

- Starbucks

- Claires

- Rue 21

- Maurice

- PayLess Shoes

- Rack Room Shoes

- Kay Jewlers

- SuperCuts

- Nails First

- Bath and Body Works

- Sally Beauty Supply

- GNC

- Moe's Southwest Grill

This is not a complete list, but just those tenants that are currently expected to be part of the development.

It's quite a bit better than your typical strip mall. But it was never intended to be much of a regional draw. There are other similar "Colonial Promenade" malls in Alabaster and Trussville. The main reason for this was to serve a VASTLY under-served market in North Jefferson County. The nearest mall to this area is about half an hour away and south of Birmingham.

The point of this place was always intended to be for the locals (Gardendale, Fultondale, Mt. Olive, Warrior, Kimberly, Morris, North Birmingham, etc) rather than for visiting tourists or anything like that. It is what it is, and personally, as someone from this part of town, it was definitely a need for this area. Between this and Caufield Square in Gardendale, people in this area won't have to drive all the way to Hoover for decent shopping or watching a movie.

• 2 weeks later...

- Target

- BestBuy

- Belk

- JCPenney

- Bama Fever

- Starbucks

- Claires

- Rue 21

- Maurice

- PayLess Shoes

- Rack Room Shoes

- Kay Jewlers

- SuperCuts

- Ross

- Nails First

- Bath and Body Works

- Sally Beauty Supply

- GNC

- Books-A-Million

- Moe's Southwest Grill

- Target

- BestBuy

- Belk

- JCPenney

- Bama Fever

- Starbucks

- Claires

- Rue 21

- Maurice

- PayLess Shoes

- Rack Room Shoes

- Kay Jewlers

- SuperCuts

- Ross

- Nails First

- Bath and Body Works

- Sally Beauty Supply

- GNC

- Books-A-Million

- Moe's Southwest Grill

Leonard... I'm not certain the exact square footage. I know that the Target is 120,000+ sqft and the JCPenney is 80,000+ sqft... so combined, that's at least 200,000sqft. I really want to say it's between 400,000-500,000sqft.

Here's a picture I snapped today of the progress... I believe this is the Target portion of the development.

DSC02413.jpg

It's about time that Birmingham has another Marriott. I don't know why that chain has ignored Birmingham for so long like we are some random pundit in the middle of nowhere. No, their affiliate hotels like ****** by Marriott doesn't count because Anytown, USA can have those types of hotels.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Fultondale is getting ready to explode... commercially and residentially. Work is progressing nicely on first part of the development. It should be ready for an opening this fall. The second portion of Phase I should be completed later in 2008.

I also recently learned that Colonial successfully completed a purchase of 58 more acres adjacent to the current development that will allow the development to stretch from Walkers Chapel Road almost all the way to Five Mile Creek.

I also learned that many other retailers and developers have taken an interest and it is expected that there will be significant news in the coming months about other developments adjacent to the Colonial Promenade Fultondale as well as across I-65 from this development.

Here's an updated list of stores/restaurants expected to open Oct. of 2007 (doesn't include the second portion of Phase I opening in 2008):

- Target

- Clair's Boutique

- Maurice's Clothing

- Rue 21

- Shoe Department

- Arby's

- Casa Fiesta

- Chili's

- Quizno's Subs

- Sports Clips

- Valley Beauty Salon

- Ashley's Furniture

- Best Buy

- Bama Fever

- Books-A-Million

- GNC

- Hibbett Sports

- Kay Jewelers

• 3 months later...

Since the Jeffco Commission decide to cut funding for the program to extend the Rail-to-Trails program from Fultondale to Graysville component due to budget cuts, the City of Fultondale has decided to negotiate with CSX themselves to buy the property for the trail. Fultondale and United Land already own the railroad bed from Five Mile Creek to Carson Road. They are trying to cooperate with other North Jeffco municipalities like Gardendale to get project off the ground. The whole project is also tied to the proposed Coke Oven Park, so a lot is weighing on this.

Archived