Greenville Restaurants Review Thread

sfmatthews

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never really written a restaurant review before, so please bear with me here.

My family and I had lunch at Jon Franks BBQ on Saturday. The atmosphere was a tad bit sparse, but it was not unlike what you find at most typical BBQ joints. The place is family-run, so you can imagine that the service was, as expected, great. Jon even turned the TV over to the Florida-Vandy game (either becauese I was wearing my Florida sweatshirt or because the Clemson game had just ended and he was interested himself - not sure). :lol:

The food was pretty good too. I'm not a big fan of this vinegar-based bbq sauce and lexington style bbq, but I can't complain. It was mighty tasty and the portion that I got for a large sandwich was a lot more than I had expected.

I'll definitely go back, but I may try the ribs next time. :thumbsup:

I'd like to see an Ancheaux's come to downtown Greenville. They are in Clemson now and most people claim that they are better than Moe's. Since we don't have a Moe's downtown and since they offer very good hamburgers as well, I'd like to see them expand and open up a downtown location. If any of you get the chance you should check them out on College Avenue sometime. :thumbsup:

Jon Franks or Ancheaux's?

I didn't check the hours on the front window, but they were posted there. They were definitely open Saturday afternoon, but we were the only ones in the place :thumbsup: I've seen people dining in there when I've driven by in the evenings, too, so I suspect they're also open for dinner - perhaps similar to Henry's in that they close at 6 or 7.

I'm not sure why there is a protest against Sticky Fingers. It's pretty good for a chain restaurant although I can't eat the dry rub because it gives me heartburn. I love Mellow Mushroom although the "hippy" atmosphere might drive some people away but I'm goovy with it.

As far as a barbeque, especially for lunch time I LOVE Henry's Smoke House. The have a tiny place on Wade Hampton. Great stuff.

My two favorite "fine dining" restaurants are Saskatoon on Haywood Road where there is room for all of God's creatures right next to the mashed Potatoes! It also has about the best atmosphere of any place around. The place can be very crowded yet the noise level remains low. It's a little pricy but it's worth the price and the portions are big enough so you can have a nice lunch the next day from the left overs.

My favorite Italian place is Portafino's on East North Street near the Haywood/Howell Intersection.

My two favorite "fine dining" restaurants are Saskatoon on Haywood Road where there is room for all of God's creatures right next to the mashed Potatoes! It also has about the best atmosphere of any place around. The place can be very crowded yet the noise level remains low. It's a little pricy but it's worth the price and the portions are big enough so you can have a nice lunch the next day from the left overs.

Had dinner last night at the Greek Grille at Cherrydale. We've eaten there before, and the food has been great each time. It's a very small place with only a few booths/tables, right near the Asian Buffet.

One word of caution - usually they're fairly quick unless there are lots of people there. We were on our way to the Little Theater and wanted something fairly fast, thinking this would fit the bill. The dishes came out slowly, and in an unusual order. One table would get a dish, then another, etc. Sometimes it was as much as 15 minutes between when the first person at a table got their food and the last person. They couldn't seem to manage things so that each person at a table got their food in a reasonable amount of time.

But, as I said, the food is great as long as they are not crowded.

Archived