Greenville Restaurants Review Thread

sfmatthews

My wife, daughter, and I have eaten there a few times and I have to agree about the food. It's very good, if slow to come out. I don't recall ever eating there when there were actually other's dining at the same time, so I can't comment on how organized they are.

Speaking of the Orient Buffet nearby, I've not eaten there in a long while; however, when it first opened, I was impressed often. The last few times I ate there (over two years ago, at that), things seemed to be sub-par. Anybody else have the same experience?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My wife, daughter, and I have eaten there a few times and I have to agree about the food. It's very good, if slow to come out. I don't recall ever eating there when there were actually other's dining at the same time, so I can't comment on how organized they are.

Speaking of the Orient Buffet nearby, I've not eaten there in a long while; however, when it first opened, I was impressed often. The last few times I ate there (over two years ago, at that), things seemed to be sub-par. Anybody else have the same experience?

I think this is the nature of buffets - they tend to start off strong, then the quality begins to lag. How badly it lags determines how long the restaurant lasts.

When I first started visiting the Orient, it was fantastic. The last time I ate there was a couple of weeks ago, and it was OK, but just not up to what it had been.

I do like the atmosphere and the information on the dishes. If I'm heading in that direction, I need a quick meal and don't want a sandwich, I stop by. However, for the price, I tend to overeat. Hey, it is a buffet!

I hate that the Mongolian BBQ buffet across the street didn't make it.

I ate at The Orient months ago. It is very nice and well laid out in the inside. Their buffet could be of better quality and selection like having steamed white rice, more meats, more noodle dishes, etc.

I can not brag enough about China Garden on Orchard Park. Their buffet foods are fresher and delicious. The Mongolian bar and grill where you see your food cooked is very tasty.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've had my first bad experience at Doc Chey's, unfortunately. My wife and kids and I drove all the way across town from Travelers Rest to the mess that is Woodruff Road last night, in the cold pouring rain. We passed a multitude of asian restaurants in the process, simply because a) we were craving Doc Chey's and b) kids eat free on Wednesday and Sunday.

When we get there, we walk in and notice that the place is nearly empty...very odd for 5:30 on a Sunday evening (we've been there a few times at 5:30 on a Sunday evening). Granted, there is some football going on, so maybe people are at home glued to their TVs. We're seated by the hostess. We wait and wait and wait and wait for the server to come to our table. We begin to look around and try to guess who the server is, but there only appears to be one obvious server on the floor anywhere. Eventually, she comes to our table and takes our drink order. I order the Chai Tea, the wife has sweet tea, the daughter a Shirley Temple, the son doesn't need anything because his mother is always prepared with juice when leaving the house. At any rate, the server comes back to the table with a water for me and informs me that somone had to run to Whole Foods Market to get milk for my Chai Tea. No problem. I can wait - I decided to splurge a bit and get the Chai Tea since the kids are eating free anyway, so it's a treat and I can wait for it. Likewise, we decided to get an appetizer since we'll have extra money to spend with the kids eating free.

Out comes the appetizer. No plates, no chop sticks, no forks, no napkins. Hmm... We sit and stare at our dumplings for a bit while waiting for sight of our server, who had vanished into the back, wondering if the dumplings are getting cold while sitting there. Just as we had given up on waiting and had decided to eat our dumplings with our fingers, out comes the server with plates, napkins, chop sticks, and forks. Followed shortly are runners bringing our entrees out to us.

My daughter's kids' fried rice is about half the portion size tht it usually is...no problem - it's Sunday and kids eat free, so I can understand them cutting back on the portion size. They usually bring out too much food for the kids anyway, in my opinion.

About half way through my meal, the server comes back and asks if I still want my Chai Tea. Of course! I'm craving it (it was delicious, by the way - as was ALL of the food last night - I had Red Coconut Curry Chicken, too). :thumbsup: My daughter gets up to go to the restroom around this same time.

We finish or meals and realize...hmmm...where's our daughter? My wife gets up to go check on her and finds her locked in the restroom without toilet paper. Uh oh. I'll not go into the ordeal that it was to have someone get TP for the restrooms, but suffice it to say that it took a while.

We're all back at the table enjoying our fortune cookies and the check comes out. To my shock, we were charged for both of the kids' meals!!!! :shok: I ask the server about it and she tells me that they've lost too much money on kids eating free, so they're phasing it out. Gee, miss server, it would have been nice had you told us that up front before we ordered. We would have done what we typically do - we would have ordered one thing for both kids and let them split it since neither ever eat the entire meal anyway. And if Doc Chey's lost too much money on this, it's because they've been giving kids adult-sized portions all along (until tonight).

Well, needless to say, in spite of my adulation for their food, I'll not be making any special trips across town again specifically to go to Doc Chey's. I may be hard pressed to convince the wife to go there if we're in the vacinity - there are too many other options and this experience left as bad a taste in her mouth as it did mine. Rather than sit and fume about it and not say anything, I thought I'd at least share my experience with the rest of you and warn you not to go there expecting your kids to eat free on Sunday and Wednesday. :whistling:

I've had my first bad experience at Doc Chey's, unfortunately. My wife and kids and I drove all the way across town from Travelers Rest to the mess that is Woodruff Road last night, in the cold pouring rain. We passed a multitude of asian restaurants in the process, simply because a) we were craving Doc Chey's and b) kids eat free on Wednesday and Sunday.

When we get there, we walk in and notice that the place is nearly empty...very odd for 5:30 on a Sunday evening (we've been there a few times at 5:30 on a Sunday evening). Granted, there is some football going on, so maybe people are at home glued to their TVs. We're seated by the hostess. We wait and wait and wait and wait for the server to come to our table. We begin to look around and try to guess who the server is, but there only appears to be one obvious server on the floor anywhere. Eventually, she comes to our table and takes our drink order. I order the Chai Tea, the wife has sweet tea, the daughter a Shirley Temple, the son doesn't need anything because his mother is always prepared with juice when leaving the house. At any rate, the server comes back to the table with a water for me and informs me that somone had to run to Whole Foods Market to get milk for my Chai Tea. No problem. I can wait - I decided to splurge a bit and get the Chai Tea since the kids are eating free anyway, so it's a treat and I can wait for it. Likewise, we decided to get an appetizer since we'll have extra money to spend with the kids eating free.

Out comes the appetizer. No plates, no chop sticks, no forks, no napkins. Hmm... We sit and stare at our dumplings for a bit while waiting for sight of our server, who had vanished into the back, wondering if the dumplings are getting cold while sitting there. Just as we had given up on waiting and had decided to eat our dumplings with our fingers, out comes the server with plates, napkins, chop sticks, and forks. Followed shortly are runners bringing our entrees out to us.

My daughter's kids' fried rice is about half the portion size tht it usually is...no problem - it's Sunday and kids eat free, so I can understand them cutting back on the portion size. They usually bring out too much food for the kids anyway, in my opinion.

About half way through my meal, the server comes back and asks if I still want my Chai Tea. Of course! I'm craving it (it was delicious, by the way - as was ALL of the food last night - I had Red Coconut Curry Chicken, too). :thumbsup: My daughter gets up to go to the restroom around this same time.

We finish or meals and realize...hmmm...where's our daughter? My wife gets up to go check on her and finds her locked in the restroom without toilet paper. Uh oh. I'll not go into the ordeal that it was to have someone get TP for the restrooms, but suffice it to say that it took a while.

We're all back at the table enjoying our fortune cookies and the check comes out. To my shock, we were charged for both of the kids' meals!!!! :shok: I ask the server about it and she tells me that they've lost too much money on kids eating free, so they're phasing it out. Gee, miss server, it would have been nice had you told us that up front before we ordered. We would have done what we typically do - we would have ordered one thing for both kids and let them split it since neither ever eat the entire meal anyway. And if Doc Chey's lost too much money on this, it's because they've been giving kids adult-sized portions all along (until tonight).

Well, needless to say, in spite of my adulation for their food, I'll not be making any special trips across town again specifically to go to Doc Chey's. I may be hard pressed to convince the wife to go there if we're in the vacinity - there are too many other options and this experience left as bad a taste in her mouth as it did mine. Rather than sit and fume about it and not say anything, I thought I'd at least share my experience with the rest of you and warn you not to go there expecting your kids to eat free on Sunday and Wednesday. :whistling:

I love Asian food and went to Irishai a couple of nights ago for dinner with my girlfriend. We both smoke (trying to quit) and it was the first time that we had been since the smoking ban went into effect. It was wonderful to sit in the main dining room instead of the "smoker's cave" - but they got rid of the old menu and drastically raised their prices! I have noticed that in the last six months, the food quality has been slipping (in the sushi at least). We found that they no longer have the lady's favorite dish - Beef, Asparagus and Mushrooms, nor could they prepare it especially for her, as they no longer carry the ingredents. My food: muscles were excellent, as always ; there's nothing that brings out the flavor of the little buggers like Irishai's secret homemade mayonnaise (though, you can now only order them in an order of six - I love their muscles, but six of them took the hunger edge off a little too much). The sashimi: excellent, also. The rolls were not recommended; the Philadelphia roll brought different flavors with each bite, and not the desired flavors. One bite tasted like Liquid Smoke, the next like fresh salmon. I am sorry to have to write such things about a restaurant that has been a favorite for so many years, but this visit, I think, has sealed the deal.

Still, I think that I will be going back to Irishai before I take on getting locked in the bathroom at Doc Chey's! :yahoo:

I love Asian food and went to Irishai a couple of nights ago for dinner with my girlfriend. We both smoke (trying to quit) and it was the first time that we had been since the smoking ban went into effect. It was wonderful to sit in the main dining room instead of the "smoker's cave" - but they got rid of the old menu and drastically raised their prices! I have noticed that in the last six months, the food quality has been slipping (in the sushi at least). We found that they no longer have the lady's favorite dish - Beef, Asparagus and Mushrooms, nor could they prepare it especially for her, as they no longer carry the ingredents. My food: muscles were excellent, as always ; there's nothing that brings out the flavor of the little buggers like Irishai's secret homemade mayonnaise (though, you can now only order them in an order of six - I love their muscles, but six of them took the hunger edge off a little too much). The sashimi: excellent, also. The rolls were not recommended; the Philadelphia roll brought different flavors with each bite, and not the desired flavors. One bite tasted like Liquid Smoke, the next like fresh salmon. I am sorry to have to write such things about a restaurant that has been a favorite for so many years, but this visit, I think, has sealed the deal.

Still, I think that I will be going back to Irishai before I take on getting locked in the bathroom at Doc Chey's! :yahoo:

I've not eaten at the Thaicoon by Furman - i have however eaten at the one on E North St IMHO one of the better places for Pad Thai in the area. My wife enjoys whatever she gets as well (sorry its name escapes me). It is more expensive than most other Thai restaurants in this area though. Service has always been excellent and very helpful.

Thaicoon is excellent! I used to go to Bobby's location on North all the time. That was the first location he opened after he left Belk corporate. He sold that one to some investors from Atlanta (his wife is Thai and I believe it may have been some of her family). Not sure if the North location is still open. I rarely ever make it to the location by Furman and it's so close to downtown.....I think I forget to head north sometimes.

I don't know what changed as I haven't been back lately. My wife couldn't eat it when she was pregnant, so that explains my lengthy hiatus. If the owner has changed it certainly wouldn't be the same. She was a funny woman.

I would even miss the one waitress who was so slow that it was borderline comical, but the sushi made it worth it.

Archived