Greenville Restaurants Review Thread

sfmatthews

Siam Oishi on Miller Road.

The restaurant has been open about two months. I tried it once before just after they had opened. Decided to try again last night.

Interior is great, more urban than suburban. Music was great....urban chill. Service was just OK. Everyone is nice enough, they just seem slightly nervous or timid. Food...OUTSTANDING! :yahoo: The menu is Sushi, cooked Japanese and Thai. I didn't feel like ordering sushi a la carte, so I ordered the "Sashimi Lover". The presentation of this dish blew me away. A large (14" at least) glass bowl filled with shaved ice, and then randomly placed ice sculpture, palm leaves, carrot figures, flowers, etc as the bed for the Sashimi. The presentation was at least 12" tall. The Sashimi was the freshest I've found in Greenville. I left satisfied, but not overly full, and happy! Definitely recommend this place. Price was in line with most other sushi restaurants in town. Added plus, the bartender mixed excellent (read strong) drinks. :lol:

An interesting note, this is their second location. The first is in the Ft.Lauderdale metro.

http://www.siamoishi.com/

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Siam Oishi on Miller Road.

The restaurant has been open about two months. I tried it once before just after they had opened. Decided to try again last night.

Interior is great, more urban than suburban. Music was great....urban chill. Service was just OK. Everyone is nice enough, they just seem slightly nervous or timid. Food...OUTSTANDING! :yahoo: The menu is Sushi, cooked Japanese and Thai. I didn't feel like ordering sushi a la carte, so I ordered the "Sashimi Lover". The presentation of this dish blew me away. A large (14" at least) glass bowl filled with shaved ice, and then randomly placed ice sculpture, palm leaves, carrot figures, flowers, etc as the bed for the Sashimi. The presentation was at least 12" tall. The Sashimi was the freshest I've found in Greenville. I left satisfied, but not overly full, and happy! Definitely recommend this place. Price was in line with most other sushi restaurants in town. Added plus, the bartender mixed excellent (read strong) drinks. :lol:

An interesting note, this is their second location. The first is in the Ft.Lauderdale metro.

http://www.siamoishi.com/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so the wife and i checked out a new restaurant last night and since we were thoroughly impressed by the food i thought i would right a little review for it. I dont normally right reviews or anything for that matter so bare with me.

It started the other week with receiving the usual coupon mailer magazine, upon flipping through it i noticed some coupons for a mediteranian restaurant on Haywod Rd. called Caspian Grill. Being my wife is vegan we try to stay up on all the mediteranian, indian, etc places and noticing that it was on Haywood Rd and i had never heard of it..we were intrigued. Well Valentine's Day seemed like the perfect time to give it a shot.

After tracking down the address we head out and discover what i had been thinking, Caspian Grill is located in the little white shopping center in front of the old Haywood Cinemas, 301 Haywood Rd for anyone that isnt familiar with the area. Upon arriving a little bit of fear set in because the outside was not the shining example of good decor for fine dining. The upper half of the building was shoddily painted black and they just had red neon spelling out their name across the black portion. Added to that were various potted plants that looked like they were on the brink of death, but we ventured froth and went on in. The inside while not as bad as the outside could still benefit from an interior decorator. With brown walls, red carpet and a black ceiling it all seemed a bit dark, but it wasnt bad kinda quaint and it was clean. So we get seated and start looking over the menu which is mainly appetizers, salads and kabobs. The waiter (who i think might have also been the owner) comes over to get our drink order and unfortunately they are not able to serve alcohol yet (still waiting on the license i guess because the bar was stocked) so he recommends some persian hot tea, a little hesitant at first but we go a long with it. They bring out the tea along with some pita bread and feta cheese...so far so good, next we order a hummus appetizer and the waiter also asks if we would like to split the house salad as well, once again we go along and we also order our entrees.

Now here is where things start getting good...the food starts coming out and first off the presentation. Typically you order hummus and you get pretty much a pile of hummus, but these people seem to get it, a small square plate comes out with the hummus arrange neatly in four bits with tomato and oil, its hard to describe but it was very nice, refreshing and sign of good things to come. The house salad came out as well but it was a salad not too much you can do with it but the house dressing was very nice a tangy. And then our entrees arrive...once again, presentation is fantastic. I ordered the fish kabob and what comes out is a plate full of awesomeness...grilled salmon, basmati rice, green onions (whole not diced up), grilled mushrooms (what they were cooked in i dont know but i usually shy away from mushrooms and i thought they were fantastic) olives and a bit of pineapple....i can not complain about one thing on the plate. My wife had the veggie kabob and once again a plate full of awesomeness...grilld veggies (tomatoes, peppers, zuchini, white onions, ect.), basmati rice, green onions (whole not diced up), grilled mushrooms, stuffed grape leaves, hummus, olives and a bit of pineapple. And the portions were not shabby either. The bill came and it was reasonable around $45 for the both of us not bad considering the amount and quality of food

All in all it was fantastic, they could use some decorating help but its a new place so im sure once money comes in they will upgrade and it wasnt anything that turned me away or will keep us from going back often.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Devereaux's downtown on Court Street last weekend for the first time. I was very pleased. The restaurant's interior is much larger than I expected it to be. The atmosphere is really nice. Very open feel with high ceilings. A lot of exposed brick inside. They have complementary valet parking, but the small lot adjacent to the building is free if you can get a space.

The service was outstanding. Several people came to our table for different reasons (server, plus one person who brought the bread, another who brought an appetizer complements of the chef, another who refilled drinks, another who brought the food, and another who came by to make sure everything was to our liking). Everyone was very well-trained. The staff was attentive without disrupting our meal.

The chef (Chef Devereaux) knows what he is doing. The food was really good. Entrees are $25-$35 if you choose the a la carte option. Portion size was good for a restaurant of this caliber. I did not do appetizer or dessert - entree only. I left satisfied but not overly stuffed. There are also two chef's tasting menus - a five-course ($69 per person) and a ten-course ($99), which are only options if the entire table chooses to do so.

I will definitely go back, and recommend it to others who desire a nice evening out.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to Pomegranate tonight. The food was fantastic. I had the Lamb Kabob...it was very juicy.

But then it turned ugly. The service was fine until our meal winded down. Right after we finished our meals, our waiter snatched up our plates as fast as he could. Then he offered us dessert. We didn't get any, but we did get coffee and tea. From that point on, he was eyeballing us and practically shoving us out the door. It got so bad that he started coming over to our table and taking things off of it while we were barely even halfway through our drinks. I've never felt so rudely unwanted in a restaurant before. You could even see him talking to the hostess and them pointing at our table. We had barely even been there much more than an hour! It was insane.

Look, I get that you were busy. But is it too much to ask to get and hour and a half in a nice restaurant? If I'm at Henry's Smokehouse, it's different. I realize they have a small seating area, and they get really busy at lunch. So we try to eat relatively fast and move on so other people can take our seat. But it's part of the "fast food" experience. However, if I'm going to spend a good chunk of change at a nice restaurant on a Friday night, I shouldn't expect to be pushed out the door after only and hour and a half.

Great food, but brutal, brutal service.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't checked back to see if anyone has written about Luna Rosa yet. It's the new gelatoria on W. Washington across from the old Woolworths. I've been meaning to stop in and glad I did. They seem to have a nice variety of paninis for a good price. I ordered a medium gelato with stracciatella (chocolate chip) and cafe au lait (they give you 2 flavors for that size). A waffle cone comes with the price ($4.95). It was very good. They had a great variety of flavors--3 or 4 of which were various coffee flavors, which are always my favorite. Apparently they make it with their own "signature" espresso.

I'll go back again and try some more things. The people that own it are Italian. If you've been to Italy before, its similar to what you find on the streets there.

I think it would be a good marketing thing for them--especially being a new place--to have a frequent visitor card to keep people coming back with an incentive.

I absolutely LOVE Luna Rosa's gelato! Since it was opened, I have not been back to Marble Slab Creamery, Spill The Beans, or West End Creamery. This small place could easily put those places out of business if they wanted to. :)

I haven't checked back to see if anyone has written about Luna Rosa yet. It's the new gelatoria on W. Washington across from the old Woolworths. I've been meaning to stop in and glad I did. They seem to have a nice variety of paninis for a good price. I ordered a medium gelato with stracciatella (chocolate chip) and cafe au lait (they give you 2 flavors for that size). A waffle cone comes with the price ($4.95). It was very good. They had a great variety of flavors--3 or 4 of which were various coffee flavors, which are always my favorite. Apparently they make it with their own "signature" espresso.

P.S. Does anybody else think this place could easily franchise into one of the region's best chains, if not the nation's? I think they've set themselves up for it quite nicely if they wanted to do so...right down to their logo...just add your city's name in place of Greenville. We can all say, "I remember the first one that opened in Greenville, South Carolina way back when..." It'll be like the original Starbucks in Pike's Place Market in Seattle. :lol:

P.S. Does anybody else think this place could easily franchise into one of the region's best chains, if not the nation's? I think they've set themselves up for it quite nicely if they wanted to do so...right down to their logo...just add your city's name in place of Greenville. We can all say, "I remember the first one that opened in Greenville, South Carolina way back when..." It'll be like the original Starbucks in Pike's Place Market in Seattle. :lol:

I went to Thai at Greenville recently and meant to post my review. It is located on Pelham Road near the new Publix shopping center, a few miles from Haywood. It isn't much from the road - just a restaurant in a strip shopping center. But the inside is very tastefully decorated. The music is not intrusive, and the views along one side of the restaurant overlook a flowing small pond that is nicely landscaped. That was an unexpected surprise, given the restaurant's location. The food was quite good, and the staff seemed attentive and eager to please. Portion sizes are good, but not too much. Menu prices are extremely reasonable. The average entree is between $8 and $12, which I consider a really good bargain given the quality of the food. I will definitely go back!

By the way, they also have a lunch buffet that I have heard is quite good. :)

I hit up Luna Rosa today for some gelato... and it was fantastic! I was impressed with the quality, the interior of the place, and the great staff! I'll be going back.

I hope their location doesn't hinder their success. It's got great company on West Washington with Wild Wing and Barley's Tap Room. The only downside is that their storefront is kind of small. It'd be easy to miss them there. It shouldn't be hard for them to really create a strong and loyal following though. Great stuff!

If the big Main Street announcement that should be coming out soon (according to the Journal) is indeed the Main at Washington property, then it should only help their business a great deal!

• 3 weeks later...

Mrs. RT and I went to Handi for dinner last night to celebrate our 9th anniversary. This was my third experience with Indian cuisine and my wife's first. She was somewhat overwhelmed by the menu, so we went with a sure bet: Dinner for Two. I have to tell you that I was BLOWN AWAY. I've eaten at what is arguably one of the finest Indian restaurants in the country while in San Francisco (Gaylord's). The food from Handi and the service were superior to even Gaylord's. We've got a real gem here in Greenville right on Main Street.

Our dinner consisted of:

Some pepper crackers with mint sauce (akin to Chips and Salsa, I guess you could say)...very good.

For an appetizer, we had Samosa, which is a crisp fried turnover stuffed with spiced potatoes and peas.

For our main course, we had:

• Tandoori Shrimp and Tandoori Chicken Tikka, bright red chicken breast and shrimp that were marinated in an herb mixture and broiled to perfection in a Tandoor (a clay oven), then served over a bed of sauteed peppers, onions, carrots, and squash

• Lamb Patia, tender lamb that was cooked with sweet and sour mangos, spices and a touch of ginger and scallions

• Vegetable Masala, mixed vegetables cooked in an amazing spiced tomato and herb sauce with touch of cream

• Basmati Rice

• Garlic Naan (delicious flat bread)

And for dessert, we had Mango Kulfi (Indian ice cream made with milk and mangos) and I asked for my favorite, Gulab Jamun (soft fluffy pastry balls deep fried and dipped in cinnamon flavored syrup).

The service was a tag-team effort as well. While very efficient and on-the-ball, the one detraction is that one person brought our bill to us and another took it to cash it out and when we left, another asked us if we had gotten our bill and paid yet. I'd maybe recommend that the cashing out of the order perhaps be processed by only one person...the primary server for that table to avoid the confusion in the future.

Great food at an amazing price! I'd highly recommend Handi to everyone!

Archived