Greenville Restaurants Review Thread

sfmatthews

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
I've not eaten at the Thaicoon by Furman - i have however eaten at the one on E North St IMHO one of the better places for Pad Thai in the area. My wife enjoys whatever she gets as well (sorry its name escapes me). It is more expensive than most other Thai restaurants in this area though. Service has always been excellent and very helpful.

• 10 months later...

Let's update this thread!

Coal Fired Pizza... anyone been there? It's only been open a couple months. My company did their wine cellar and some of their other wine storage but I haven't had a chance to eat there yet. They have a very innovative wine dispensing system that I really want to try. Their website is www.coalfiredpizza.com but if you go there it just says "coming soon."

Coal Fired Pizza... anyone been there? It's only been open a couple months. My company did their wine cellar and some of their other wine storage but I haven't had a chance to eat there yet. They have a very innovative wine dispensing system that I really want to try. Their website is www.coalfiredpizza.com but if you go there it just says "coming soon."

Oh no! Haha... I am born and bred American!

CFP is at the corner of Pelham and Hwy 14. They have these machines called Enomatic, which you store/display/dispense several bottles of wine. Customers can put money on a swipable card, and they can choose a taste, a half glass, or a full glass of wine. It's a really fun and innovative way to try wine. Plus, they have the largest brick oven on the East Coast. It's a very nice dining atmosphere - not what you would expect from a pizza place, so maybe it would get bad atmosphere points, but I still can't wait to try it.

I must once again plug Greenville's great Korean restaurant on Miller Road, just off of Woodruff Road. Fantastic authentic Korean cuisine, prepared and served exactly as you would find somewhere in that country. I visited again, this time with friends from South Korea, who rated the place 10 out of 10 and were completely pleased with everything there. The place is small and simple, but very clean and handsomely decorated. The food is outstanding, in my opinion. Try the Bulgogi (불고기) for starters, since it is less "adventuresome" as other items on the menu, and is a real tasty treat. :wub:

I must once again plug Greenville's great Korean restaurant on Miller Road, just off of Woodruff Road. Fantastic authentic Korean cuisine, prepared and served exactly as you would find somewhere in that country. I visited again, this time with friends from South Korea, who rated the place 10 out of 10 and were completely pleased with everything there. The place is small and simple, but very clean and handsomely decorated. The food is outstanding, in my opinion. Try the Bulgogi (불고기) for starters, since it is less "adventuresome" as other items on the menu, and is a real tasty treat. :wub:

That's great! I will be looking for your review after you check it out. In this case, it really helps to have Korean friends, because I would likely never have checked the place out otherwise. It is a very pleasant surprise and a real gem of a restaurant, in my opinion. This past experience was on a Wednesday evening and after 8:30pm several Koreans came in and ordered dinner. I think it remains open until 10:00pm during weekdays. :)

Can someone on here comment on any Indian restaurants in Greenville?

When my family was in town last Spring visiting my sister, I told her we wanted to go out for Indian food one night. My sister's family never goes out for Indian (I think for them "venturing out for ethnic cuisine" would mean a trip to Macaroni Grill), but she was able to tell us about two places she knew of. We ended up eating at SWAD on Laurens Rd. near Pleasantburg Rd. I thought it was very good for what it does: inexpensive, vegetarian food in simple surroundings. My sister also mentioned India Palace, which based on research I just did appears to be only a few blocks from SWAD. It looks like they've been in business for fifteen years, so they must be doing something right. I'd like to hear from any Indian food devotees who've eaten there.

Last weekend, while visiting my sister's family again, my wife and I went downtown, parked at the corner of Main St. and Washington St., and looked up with surprise to see Handi Indian Cuisine. I'm assuming this is a recent addition to downtown, since I don't recall seeing it last Spring and I'm sure it would have caught my eye. Does anyone have a review to offer on Handi?

We ended up eating at SWAD on Laurens Rd. near Pleasantburg Rd. I thought it was very good for what it does: inexpensive, vegetarian food in simple surroundings. My sister also mentioned India Palace, which based on research I just did appears to be only a few blocks from SWAD. It looks like they've been in business for fifteen years, so they must be doing something right. I'd like to hear from any Indian food devotees who've eaten there.

Can someone on here comment on any Indian restaurants in Greenville?

When my family was in town last Spring visiting my sister, I told her we wanted to go out for Indian food one night. My sister's family never goes out for Indian (I think for them "venturing out for ethnic cuisine" would mean a trip to Macaroni Grill), but she was able to tell us about two places she knew of. We ended up eating at SWAD on Laurens Rd. near Pleasantburg Rd. I thought it was very good for what it does: inexpensive, vegetarian food in simple surroundings. My sister also mentioned India Palace, which based on research I just did appears to be only a few blocks from SWAD. It looks like they've been in business for fifteen years, so they must be doing something right. I'd like to hear from any Indian food devotees who've eaten there.

Last weekend, while visiting my sister's family again, my wife and I went downtown, parked at the corner of Main St. and Washington St., and looked up with surprise to see Handi Indian Cuisine. I'm assuming this is a recent addition to downtown, since I don't recall seeing it last Spring and I'm sure it would have caught my eye. Does anyone have a review to offer on Handi?

On another note, I tried the new Bruegger's Bagels on Woodruff. I ordered their "Herb Chicken" bagel sandwich (forgot the name of it), and sadly they were extremely skimpy. I got two slices of thin chicken on mine, and my boyfriend got ONE on his. One piece of lettuce on each also. All we could really taste were the bagels themselves, and the cream cheese spread. We may as well have gotten just the bagels with cream cheese added. Very disappointed.

Had a wonderful early dinner there last Friday night. At 4:30pm it was about 1/3 full and many more people came and went for takeout. The food was delicious and certainly on par to the Korean places I have tried in NYC and Philly. We had the pa jun, seafood and scallion pancake; and the galbi, short ribs in traditional marinade. I cant wait to go back-

The family and I had lunch at Idigo Joe's yestrday. When we got there, I had to step inside to ask if they were open because the parking lot was EMPTY. It was sad. The staff was pretty much all sitting at the bar chatting. I got a kick out of the decor and the televisions, but they really need to add a University of Florida Dynasty Banner to their collection. :lol: As for the food, we had a fruit and cheese plate for an appetizer. It was HUGE with a pile of grapes in the center, surrounded by cantaloupe and honeydew cubes and Jalape

Sad news in the restaurant world. Haus Edelweiss on Wade Hampton has "closed until further notice" according to a sign on the door.

Greenville has just about every type of cuisine imaginable except German. To me this is just odd, given the presence of BMW in the area.

...But, on the positive side. I tried Cafe Paulista Grille for lunch on Wednesday. They are located on Wade Hampton in Taylors in a converted Waffle House, and they specialize in Brazilian cuisine. I was there for lunch and had one of their sandwiches. The food was great, but service was a bit chaotic. I've got more detailed information on my blog, if anyone is interested.

Unfortunately, the place went downhill BIGTIME after the original owner (Margie?) left. I've continued to go over the last few years, but each time it got worse and worse...dirty, bad service, unavailable menu items. And I don't normally complain about stuff like that in restaurants, so it had to be REALLY bad for me to notice. It was depressing to watch this great place wither away. Maybe this is for the best...a form of culinary euthanasia.

Archived