The Cascades at Woods Corner

vdogg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's been a while since i've been out that way, have they finally extended lynnhaven to centerville yet? Last i recall lynnhaven ends/begins behind Brigadoon/Charleston Lakes, and doesn't run into Centerville; you have to hit about four cross streets to get from one to the other now. Does this mean they're finally going to extend the parkway?

it's been a while since i've been out that way, have they finally extended lynnhaven to centerville yet? Last i recall lynnhaven ends/begins behind Brigadoon/Charleston Lakes, and doesn't run into Centerville; you have to hit about four cross streets to get from one to the other now. Does this mean they're finally going to extend the parkway?

Lynnhaven Pkwy, does intersect with Centerville, but is ends about 1/4 mile in at an apt. comlex and neighborhood entrance. They still need to connect the Brigadoon end with the new portion.

As this development stands now, it'll be its own little self contained urban block in the burbs, almost boardering rural Chesapeake. I think it's an odd place for a development like this.

it is a nice development, but odd for its location. Basically, if you live here you will be able to go for a stroll and take in some shopping or cafe sitting if all that moves in, but for everything else, you will still have to drive to do. So basically it is just a dense mix used condo complex........could be worse I guess.

Yeah and they need to connect Lynnhaven all the way through. Things like this is why the region needs a Metro in control of bigger developments.

• 1 month later...

A little fuller description from the planning commission minutes

woodscorner.jpg

Still surprised to hear nothing in the news about this yet which makes me wonder if it was approved by city council or not. It may have been put on the consent agenda. Things on the consent agenda typically pass unnoticed.

I'm not opposed to having little village centers scattered around the metro region. They have the capability of providing a quieter yet still walkable area for people who don't like the hustle and bustle of downtown living but still want to be able to walk to the corner store for coffee and a paper. They also have the capability of providing a central place or focus for suburban neighborhoods and can assist in planning for the sustainability of suburban areas.

BUT, I don't like the site plan for this development. There aren't any streets, just parking strips. It looks to me like it wouldn't be like living in a loft apartment above retail and restaurant spaces in a town or village center, it would be like living in a suburban shopping center.

Yeah, I think Hampton Roads should be full of these small urban developments, giving each area its own core to build on to help for a more urban region overall.

But yeah, this layout is like so many layouts that I hate....they come from developers that have no clue how to build urban, so what we get are strip malls with lofts above them, or in this case a condo development with retail on its first floor. No real street order, just a typical suburban condo/apartment style layout. But sometimes things like this is better than nothing, plus this is going in the middle of nowhere, so it might work out just perfectly in that area.

It is not a very big parcel. But they definitely could have incorporated a main street bisecting the property. Too bad my sister is getting ready to move out of Magnolia Chase. Would have been nice during a visit to walk next door and get a paper and some coffee!

• 1 month later...

That's pretty crazy. I've lived near Centerville Elementary for most of my life and to see them build something like this close to that school is gonna weird. I remember someone proposed to build a gas station at that spot. Good thing they didn't get approved. Hope they relase more renderings soon and the finalized plan.

That's pretty crazy. I've lived near Centerville Elementary for most of my life and to see them build something like this close to that school is gonna weird. I remember someone proposed to build a gas station at that spot. Good thing they didn't get approved. Hope they relase more renderings soon and the finalized plan.

• 9 months later...

This project goes before the planning commission on Dec 12th, in order to address a modification to the originally approved request. It also appears that the name of the original entity, Ocean properties llc, has been changed to BONAVENTURE INVESTMENTS,L.L.C. Staff report should be available in a little under 2 weeks.

This project goes before the planning commission on Dec 12th, in order to address a modification to the originally approved request. It also appears that the name of the original entity, Ocean properties llc, has been changed to BONAVENTURE INVESTMENTS,L.L.C. Staff report should be available in a little under 2 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

The application has been deferred to an as yet to be announced date.

December 12, 2007 Public Hearing

Staff Planner: Faith Christie

REQUEST:

Modification of Proffers of a Conditional

Rezoning from B-2 Community Business

District to Conditional B-4 Mixed Use District

approved by the City Council on December 12, 2006

(Ocean Properties, L.L.C.)

ADDRESS / DESCRIPTION: Property located at the northwest and northeast intersections of Lynnhaven Parkway, Monument Drive, and Centerville Turnpike.

GPIN:

14549802020000;

COUNCIL ELECTION DISTRICT:

1 - CENTERVILLE

SITE SIZE:

13.33 acres

This application must be deferred, as there remain issues to be addressed and the proffers must be revised.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived